dSLR thread

Handruin

Administrator
He has the 24-70/2.8. Why go backwards to the 24-105? If anything, perhaps get the new 24-70. For the studio, money would be better spent on a prime, such as a 35, 50, 85, macro or TSE.

Is the new 24-70 noticeably better?

Handruin

Administrator
In some measures, but it's outrageously expensive. Check out the Photozone.de review of it I linked to before.

I was reading through the link a bit earlier. I was just asking him for his opinion on it also. I hadn't looked at the price until now. I don't believe I'll be springing for the new one any time soon. I got mine during a deal for $999 several years ago.

I forgot to ask more about the AlienBees lighting; I had not heard of them before. I'm still rather new to lighting kits, is there some claim to fame with this brand that you you may have hear about compared to some of the other major lighting brands? How does one figure out the amount of wattage needed from each flash unit? I see they offer 160W, 320W, and 640W. I'm expecting to need at least three of them to help light things properly. I'm assuming a setup with their CyberSync units (transmitters and receivers) would help make use of the lights properly.

LunarMist

I can't believe I'm a Fixture
Paul Bluff has been selling lighting for over 20 years. The earlier ones were simple, cheap, and fairly reliable. The more recent monolights and systems have a variety of problems.

I prefer Elinchrom, but there are other good brands as well as a lot of used pro lighting equipment around that can be a good value. Anything less than 400W is somewhat a waste. I like having 800W lights or main and 400W for others. You can always turn the power down on a larger light, an usually improve recyce time too. I'd have at least fur lights. Even if you only use 2-3 for most setups an extra can fill in a strange shadow or be available as a backup.

Stereodude

Not really a
I forgot to ask more about the AlienBees lighting; I had not heard of them before. I'm still rather new to lighting kits, is there some claim to fame with this brand that you you may have hear about compared to some of the other major lighting brands?
Some years back they were bang for the buck internet darlings. I haven't kept up with lighting though. You could use other triggers, even wired. There are lots of choices.

Handruin

Administrator
How are PocketWizard products? I'm still confused what I need for transmitter/receiver. Do I need a special product to control power remotely? Is that atypical usage? Is there something specific I need to use with my Canon cameras for TTL support or is that not required for a studio setting?

Stereodude

Not really a
For a studio setting I don't think TTL is needed. Personally I wasn't going to pay PocketWizard pricing. I got some cheaper Chinese wireless triggers. Yongnuo RF-602's. For a wireless shutter remote a got a Phottix Plato. FWIW, if you're running a business you might not want to be screwing around with potentially less reliable but less cheaper off brand products.

Handruin

Administrator
I took a bus ride down to NYC for the photo expo this weekend. I'm excited to check out lots of toys.

Handruin

Administrator
I didn't think to check that train line. I checked Amtrak and the schedules were not ideal for me. I needed a time that left after work and didn't take 7+ hours. The bus had a layover in Hartford CT but otherwise wasn't bad.

I got to see a talk by one of my favorite photographer/filmographers today, Vincent Laforet. I got a chance meet him after his talk at the Canon booth. That made my day. Lots of other fun equipment to play with and people to chat with. Now I'm off to explore more of the city.

Handruin

Administrator
I was looking over Canon's lineup of cameras and the gap on the high end I guess is sinking in to me. Lunar, you expressed unhappiness earlier in the thread with the offerings of the new 1D X. Have you had any time to play with it or any more feedback as to why? I understand a drop in MP from the 1DS can be painful if you were using all that resolution for your work. Is that the primary disappointment?

LunarMist

There is nothing wrong with the 1D-X. It is disappointing to many users for what it is not. Certainly it is a step up from the 1D III that you have, but some people keep their 1D IV as well.

time

Storage? I am Storage!
Lightweight gear

I know a keen photographer who wants a significant upgrade on her dated Olympus DSLR setup. She's eyeing off a 600D setup but I'm concerned that it's going to be too heavy for her to enjoy using regularly (physically, she is far from robust). She likes macro lenses in particular but doesn't have a pro budget.

Micro 4/3 is obviously acutely interesting, although it looks like you need to spend a motza on a macro lens to suit. Apparently, there are some mirror-less full-size cameras that are almost as light, but I don't know which ones.

Grateful for any opinions, and especially Lunar's ... :)

time

Storage? I am Storage!
2,615 posts on DSLR cameras, yet no response to what I assumed must be an increasingly common inquiry?

It must be something I said ... :crucified:

LunarMist

2,615 posts on DSLR cameras, yet no response to what I assumed must be an increasingly common inquiry?

It must be something I said ... :crucified:

I wish I could help, but small and lightweight is not my thing. Even though I have limited mobility, I'd rather be slow and have the proper equipment. Macro work in particular requires as good tripod, lighting, reflectors, scrims, wind blockers etc. Maybe start with a D5200 and a 60 or 105 micro, depending on subject matter. 600D is not very heavy IMO.

The larger formats are better for viewing. I suppose some people would prefer an EVF such as the Sony DSLRs and many cameras with tiny sensors, but the slight time lag can be a problem from live subjects when focusing by moving your body. Liveview is fine for still lifes.

Handruin

Administrator
I know a keen photographer who wants a significant upgrade on her dated Olympus DSLR setup. She's eyeing off a 600D setup but I'm concerned that it's going to be too heavy for her to enjoy using regularly (physically, she is far from robust). She likes macro lenses in particular but doesn't have a pro budget.

Micro 4/3 is obviously acutely interesting, although it looks like you need to spend a motza on a macro lens to suit. Apparently, there are some mirror-less full-size cameras that are almost as light, but I don't know which ones.

Grateful for any opinions, and especially Lunar's ... :)

I'm not well versed in the hundreds of options available for smaller cameras and I've done zero research on micro 4/3 format cameras to be of any help. I can only comment on the Canon 100mm Macro lens that I own and I've used with various camera bodies such as my original 20D, 1D, and 5DMKII, and now a 5D MKIII. I'm happy with the quality of the lens on any of those camera bodies and I haven't spent much time using the lens for any other purpose but macro photography. I also leave this lens in manual focus for the majority of the time because that seems to be the best use for my needs. The downside to considering or recommending this lens is that this lens is priced pretty close to the price of the 600D body. I understand the budget may not be in place for this kind of setup but if it is, the lens does a good job. As Lunar already mentioned, a good heavy tripod is almost a requirement for any kind of sharp marco work. If your friend doesn't already have one, it'll be one more thing to add to the budget. :-\ I would prioritize that as a bare minimum before reflectors and other tools.

ddrueding

Fixture
And my only macro lens is a 180; even bigger than what the others have. A friend has one of the smaller cameras, I'll try asking her about it tonight.

Handruin

Administrator
I cannot convert the 5D III RAW files. DPP won't install. :mad:

What is keeping it from installing? I just installed it last night on my laptop running windows 8 and it worked fine. It opens RAW files from the 5D MK III just fine.

mubs

Storage? I am Storage!
Does Photoshop allow multiple activations? 3 IIRC?

My old PC died with the Photoshop CS3 install on it. I converted the partition to a VM. IN the VM it now says the install of Photoshop needs to be activated. The Deactivate option in the Help menu is grayed out.

What is the best way to handle this situation?

Thanks.

LunarMist

PS is not the issue as at least CS5 would work on XP64. I have an unopened retail PS CS6, but that is also not the issue. DPP has some special tools that I prefer. You can also run multiple instances at the same time.

I have 5 copies of Windows 7 squirreled away, but I was not planning on updating a computer until there is a better CPU available. IIRC that would be next summer.

LunarMist

Does Photoshop allow multiple activations? 3 IIRC?

My old PC died with the Photoshop CS3 install on it. I converted the partition to a VM. IN the VM it now says the install of Photoshop needs to be activated. The Deactivate option in the Help menu is grayed out.

What is the best way to handle this situation?

Thanks.

You get two simulataneous activations, one for each of two computers. Otherwise you have to phone them and hope for the best.

LunarMist

Apparently the focusing screen cannot be removed. :cursin: It's complete BS.

Will Rickards

Storage Is My Life
Website
willrickards.net
So I've got about 1600 saved for a new body.
They just released the details of the D7100.
It looks pretty good except the buffer size is only like 7 shots in raw so only like 1 second of shooting.
So I'm considering the D600 refurbs that you can but for $1600 and just using that in crop mode till I get more FX lenses.

Currently I use
Nikon D40, 35mm DX AF-S 1.8G, 18-55mm DX AF-S 3.5-5.6G II, 70-300mm AF-S 4.5-5.6G VR

LunarMist

So I've got about 1600 saved for a new body.
They just released the details of the D7100.
It looks pretty good except the buffer size is only like 7 shots in raw so only like 1 second of shooting.
So I'm considering the D600 refurbs that you can but for $1600 and just using that in crop mode till I get more FX lenses.

Currently I use
Nikon D40, 35mm DX AF-S 1.8G, 18-55mm DX AF-S 3.5-5.6G II, 70-300mm AF-S 4.5-5.6G VR

The D7100 is OK for a cheapie body, but the available info indicates that Nikon is abandoning high quality DX cameras. I would not invest any more in the DX lenses if you plan to continually update your glass and bodies over the years. The birders and other wildflife shooters are downright pissed.

Will Rickards

Storage Is My Life
Website
willrickards.net
Got the D600 and a couple fast 16GB cards. Less pictures than I thought, I'll have to buy some cheaper but bigger SD cards. These are some large raw files. Need to upgrade to lightroom 4 to get support for the D600 raws. Lightroom still the way to go?

What lens should I go for next? I'm thinking a general purpose type that goes pretty wide, maybe buy the kit lens from ebay?
I figure the prime DX I have is fine for portraits, the zoom fine for sports during the day. I just need something to replace the 18-55 and maybe give me VR for that lens.

I only had a few shooting opportunities since I got the camera. Definitely better indoor no flash pictures.

The biggest difference is the shutter is loud and seems like it moves the camera a bit.
Live view was cool when I was taking pictures low to the ground of the nephew.
I haven't tried the movie mode yet.

LunarMist

Got the D600 and a couple fast 16GB cards. Less pictures than I thought, I'll have to buy some cheaper but bigger SD cards. These are some large raw files. Need to upgrade to lightroom 4 to get support for the D600 raws. Lightroom still the way to go?

What lens should I go for next? I'm thinking a general purpose type that goes pretty wide, maybe buy the kit lens from ebay?
I figure the prime DX I have is fine for portraits, the zoom fine for sports during the day. I just need something to replace the 18-55 and maybe give me VR for that lens.

I only had a few shooting opportunities since I got the camera. Definitely better indoor no flash pictures.

The biggest difference is the shutter is loud and seems like it moves the camera a bit.
Live view was cool when I was taking pictures low to the ground of the nephew.
I haven't tried the movie mode yet.

I would not buy anything less than 32GB at this point. There is a relatively inexpensive 24-85/3.5-4.5 VR and also an older 24-120/4 VR.

Handruin

Administrator
For the first time in the years since I bought the my camera equipment I decided to send it all into Canon USA to have it service/calibrated/cleaned, etc. My last trip out west to Utah put bits of orange dirt into places I didn't want to think about so I figured it was time to get it cleaned. I don't know what to expect from any of it but hopefully they were able to calibrate some of the lenses with the bodies and make sure things were within spec. We were able to do the canon profession services gold package based on the number of pieces we had so that helped the cost a little bit with a shorter turnaround time.

Also, we've rented the 24-70 F/2.8L II a couple times now and it is noticeably sharper than my 24-70 F/2.8L I as well as the color and contrast seem better. Still can't stomach the price difference but I am surprised to see the 24-70 MKI on ebay still going for around $1000-$1200?! I don't know if people are actually getting that kind of money for it though but that's more than I paid for it new several years ago. Are people not liking the new 24-70MKII or is it the same issue with the price jump?

LunarMist

The new 24-70/2.8 is very good, especially in comparison to the older version at large apertures. At f/10 the old version is as God or a bit better than the new at the long end. The new lens is much nicer at the wide end in any case.

Handruin

Administrator
Thanks for the feedback.

I got my 24-70 back from canon and it doesn't seem to be working right. We did a photo shoot yesterday at a park with good lighting and now the focus now seems be back-focusing and the image quality just doesn't seem right. The work order said they replace a few parts inside and then put it back to spec. I'm kind of surprised it returned worse than when it left me. Perhaps fedex dropped it and put it out of alignment or something. Time to see what canon says when we send in a support request.

Handruin

Administrator
I'm still waiting for something similar to the 7D but with better high-ISO performance. 5DIII?

We have a 5D MKIII and I like it better than my 5D MKII. The biggest difference I noticed is the auto focus system is much better than my 5D MKII (it's very similar to the 1D X). Next is the high-ISO ability which is really good. I can't say how good it is compared to your 7D but we've goofed around with some crazy-high ISO values (25,600, etc) and pictures are still very usable, though not perfect. I haven't really been following Canon news lately so I don't know what the rumors are for next gen cameras. Maybe a 7D MKII?