dSLR thread

LunarMist

I can't believe I'm a Fixture
I hope he's out there on Sports Illustrated swimsuit shoots or something.

Hehe. :) The weather was mostly awful after the first day. Any women in swimsuits would have perished or suffered immensely. I had on the synthetic underwear, two layers of thermal underwear, synthetic pants and waterproof pants on top of that. In the 40-50kt winds at 4-8°C it was still a bit cool, especially when it was raining.

mubs

Storage? I am Storage!
How does Lightroom compare to Photoshop? One better than the other? I'm in kindergarten as far as this stuff is concerned - I use Corel Paintshop to crop, straighten, adjust brightness and contrast, and that's it. It seems crappy for much else. If I'm going to invest time to learn something, it better be a good product with some longevity.

ddrueding

Fixture
I started with Photoshop version 5 almost 20 years ago. It does all the stuff I need pretty well, so I don't see a reason to learn something new ;)

Handruin

Administrator
How does Lightroom compare to Photoshop? One better than the other? I'm in kindergarten as far as this stuff is concerned - I use Corel Paintshop to crop, straighten, adjust brightness and contrast, and that's it. It seems crappy for much else. If I'm going to invest time to learn something, it better be a good product with some longevity.

I had trouble letting go of control and submitting to Lightroom. I tried on several occasions and several different versions of their product but it was never a transition I could make between that and Photoshop. I'm not sure one can actually describe the differences. I suggest you download and try their 30-day trial and see what you think. I can't say Lightroom is bad or terrible, it just wasn't for me. It might be perfectly fine for you but the only way you'll know is to try it.

What's really interesting is the number of "professional photographers" and vendors at conventions and trade shows who are legitimately surprised when in discussion they learn that you (or me in this case) aren't using Lightroom. This boggles me as I find the product to be too controlling for what I want to do and just stick with Photoshop and Canon Digital Photo Professional. It was almost like a mob mentality that if you don't use Lightroom, then you're not a pro. Not that this matters here or even for me as I'm not a professional photographer...it was just an surprising observation I've noticed from people.

mubs

Storage? I am Storage!
Thanks DD.

Thanks Handy. You nailed the reason why I asked this question. In the video Nikon D800 vs Medium Format with Roth and Ramberg, they have a pro take some shots with his own Hasselblad 40 MP medium format camera and with the 36 MP Nikon 800, and compare the two side by side in Lightroom. So I was wondering if LR was better than PS.

I bought a copy of Adobe Photoshop CS3 Extended some years ago, installed it but never used it. Need to fish out the disc and do so now. Don't know if it will activate; had it on my previous PC which died suddenly, so couldn't uninstall it. Then I installed it into a VM, which also died. We'll see.

ddrueding

Fixture
You shouldn't have an issue mubs. I've done more installs than that. Now I have "Creative Cloud", a monthly subscription service for all their products that I have installed in three different places without issue.

mubs

Storage? I am Storage!
I couldn't find my CD. Moved so many times in the last few years (almost like a fugitive on the run), no idea where it is.

I googled and found the usual suspects that I couldn't trust. Finally found what appeared to be a genuine link that in turn pointed to the hidden download sections in Adobe. Downloaded it, installed, it activated (I always store the keys in a large Word table, and this gets backed up regularly along with my other data). Can't register it because it says my internet connection has a problem. This same shit happened some years ago when I first installed it. Multiple browsers, and every other program that needs internet access works just fine.

Now I have to learn to use the damn thing. In my younger days never had a problem with learning, but I guess the brain starts to slowly solidify as one gets older.

LunarMist

I just could not turn down that recent sale on the 64GB 1066x Lexar CF cards, so I added 15.
Now I have a total of 1472GB in 1000x/1066x CF cards. I'm like the duderding of memory cards. :D

LunarMist

Do you shoot a lot of video? I'm having a hard time understanding how even a month-long trip could burn through that much storage.

I'm hoping to be backup free. All those lapbook and hard drives, and even the PSDs were just painful. It may not be an issue if my cohort can accompany this outing, but the flying weight is just so important nowadays.

LunarMist

Do you shoot a lot of video? I'm having a hard time understanding how even a month-long trip could burn through that much storage.

Realistically I expect about half of that in two weeks, perhaps 67% at the outside. I don't like filling each pump every time.

ddrueding

Fixture
Would you choose the 24/1.4 or the 50/1.4 on a 7D for business portraits against a backdrop? I've been really enjoying the 24, but have a feeling that the flatter look of the 50 might seem more...professional?

Handruin

Administrator
Are you using ample studio lighting for your backdrop business portraits? If so, I'd vote for the 24-70mm F/2.8 MKII for versatility unless you're really stuck on primes. Using a 24mm F/1.4 for studio doesn't seem like a good match. That wide of an angle might be a bit distorted and unnatural unless if space is super-limited. Using the aperture of F/1.4 for studio portraits seems like a specialty and/or artistic limited use. I would expect higher aperture values for proper business portraits which typically go hand in hand with proper lighting. If anything I've heard/read that the 85 F/1.2L is popular for studio portraits because it's A/F is slow or unideal for other uses.

LunarMist

A pro will bring the appropriate equipment, mainly the lighting. In modern times pros prefer FF/FX bodies, though some may not, depending on the output expectations and your budget.
In the old days we used 85/105/135 primes on 135 and MF for formal portraits, typically at 8Ft+ distances. How many head shots are needed, and are there also some environmental portraits needed?

LunarMist

Are you using ample studio lighting for your backdrop business portraits? If so, I'd vote for the 24-70mm F/2.8 MKII for versatility unless you're really stuck on primes. Using a 24mm F/1.4 for studio doesn't seem like a good match. That wide of an angle might be a bit distorted and unnatural unless if space is super-limited. Using the aperture of F/1.4 for studio portraits seems like a specialty and/or artistic limited use. I would expect higher aperture values for proper business portraits which typically go hand in hand with proper lighting. If anything I've heard/read that the 85 F/1.2L is popular for studio portraits because it's A/F is slow or unideal for other uses.

Neither AF nor fast lenses are needed for formal portraits. I can't imagine a good photographer using a body like the 7D with fine lenses these days. More likely they would use a FF/FX body.

Handruin

Administrator
Neither AF nor fast lenses are needed for formal portraits. I can't imagine a good photographer using a body like the 7D with fine lenses these days. More likely they would use a FF/FX body.

That was also my point/opinion. One would spend time in the F/8-F/16 for studio portraits and a manual AF or slow AF could suffice. I'm sure one could get by fine with a 7D and decent lenses but I get what you're saying. I've been enjoying the 5D MKIII for most things and it seems to function reasonably well overall. I feel it pairs nicely with the 24-70 F/2.8L MKII.

ddrueding

Fixture
Yeah, don't have a 24-70. Don't have lighting beyond a few Speedlites. I'm happy to not have to do this kind of thing often (actually bought the backdrop and frame last night as a plan B). The shoot was at their office. It was a very overcast morning, so I decided to do them outside with just a reflector laying against the tripod. They are in the produce business, and across the street from their office was a field being watered (very appropriate).

Only ~20 people and 3 group shots. Ended up going with the 24mm, because the mound we were shooting from was space limited.

The 85/1.2 has been on my list for years.

LunarMist

Yeah, don't have a 24-70. Don't have lighting beyond a few Speedlites. I'm happy to not have to do this kind of thing often (actually bought the backdrop and frame last night as a plan B). The shoot was at their office. It was a very overcast morning, so I decided to do them outside with just a reflector laying against the tripod. They are in the produce business, and across the street from their office was a field being watered (very appropriate).

Only ~20 people and 3 group shots. Ended up going with the 24mm, because the mound we were shooting from was space limited.

The 85/1.2 has been on my list for years.

Buy a modern camera first, some FX Nikon body.

Handruin

Administrator
And replace all my glass? Not likely. Do you not expect Canon to come out with something competitive soon? What have you done with all your old Canon gear?

Does it matter if it's competitive for what you need to do? Canon has more than decent FF bodies that would get the job done for your needs and you can even rent them when you have small gigs to do. I agree it's not worth the hassle to sell all your decent canon glass just to switch to Nikon even if they're offering better camera bodies. If you really feel you need a FF body, the 5D MKIII is still a pretty good camera body with good low light handling abilities and good AF system.

ddrueding

Fixture
Yup, 5DIII would be on my short list were I spending money on camera stuff at the moment. The K04 along with all the support bits will be nearly $4k installed. That will be my toys for this month I think.

LunarMist

5D III is miles ahead of the 7D in every way other than framing rate and reach. If you don't need the body performance or use longer lenses, the A7R produces excellent IQ compared to the 5D III.

LunarMist

They are only stacking more dies as these are the same family of 90/95MB/sec. cards that was around in early 2012 IIRC. The cards are available for pre-order at BH, etc. The 128MB size is a good option for many users.

Oddly enough, the new UHS-3 cards (which require more pins) have not been updated yet. I suspect they will be upsized soon.

ddrueding

Fixture
The only practical uses for 512GB cards I can imagine are 4k video and medium format. Having that many 20MP images on a card would be way too risky IMHO.

LunarMist

That would hold about 16,000 30MB lossless 14-bit NEFs from the D7100 and many more from other bodies or at higher compression/lower bit depth. I'd say that is a bit risky. ;)