Dual Drive

LunarMist

I can't believe I'm a Fixture
I would agree with that being too late. I'd rather a less expensive SSD in a 3.5" size.

Well there is not such a need for the hybrid 3.5" drives in desktops as there is the 2.5" in laptops. I suspect that 4TB of flash could be crammed into a 3.5" form factor, but the cost is too high.

Handruin

Administrator
I would agree with that being too late. I'd rather a less expensive SSD in a 3.5" size.

I didn't notice It was a 2.5". My thought was if less dense flash chips could be used at a reduced cost making the capacity higher might be nice. Even if it wasn't as performant as a decent SSD we are used to, I'd be happy to have a 2-3TB SSD to replace my spindle drives for archival storage.

LunarMist

I don't see how is this different from a hybrid drive other than the amount of flash.

Presumably the software allows some control of which data is stored on the SSD, e.g., the OS/apps. The old hybrid drives mostly only cached reads for most frequently use data.

Bozo

Storage? I am Storage!
According to the description the SSD portion is totally accessible for the operating system and programs, and the standard is for storage.
If you were only writing to the hard drive you would never wear out the SSD
What would a 1TB SSD cost?

Looks like a great upgrade for older laptops.

LunarMist

According to the description the SSD portion is totally accessible for the operating system and programs, and the standard is for storage.
If you were only writing to the hard drive you would never wear out the SSD
What would a 1TB SSD cost?

Looks like a great upgrade for older laptops.

The 1TB SSDs are about $500.