Dust is a killer

CougTek

Hairy Aussie
I'm probably not learning anything to anyone, but the difference between a dusty heatsink and a clean one can be huge. And the amount of dust doesn't have to be that high to make a significant temperature difference.

I had a thin coating of dust between the fan and the heatsink tower of my main folding computer (not the mini-ITX one). It wasn't a wall of dust, not even enough to fil the gap between the heatsink fins. The temperature while folding made me worried though, as it was between 80C and 87C. The processor is an overclocked and slightly over-volted i7 860, operating at 3.5GHz.

I gave it a cleaning session with my air compressor this afternoon and now the temperature with all cores being busy stands between 70C and 77C. It makes me much less nervous.

So this is just a reminder to dust off your computers on a regular basis, at least those operating all the time. It's easier to forget when your computer has quiet fans into it, as it won't become noisy despite over-heating (like mines).

MaxBurn

Storage Is My Life
I don't believe i7 will let you fry it, once it hits tjmax at 100c it will throttle itself.

Bozo

Storage? I am Storage!
In the plant where I work, if the dirt gets too bad, the pc usually shuts down.

ddrueding

Fixture
My favorite is at our ready mix plants. Powdered cement gets in case, humid morning sets it off, repeat daily. It'll kill a computer in a couple months.

CougTek

Hairy Aussie
I don't believe i7 will let you fry it, once it hits tjmax at 100c it will throttle itself.
Well, at 250$ each, I won't try to prove or refute your point with my processors. I'm sure long term damages can occur at lower temperatures.

I've seen hundreds of PCs overheat and shut down by themselves, but they all had quite a bit more dust than the scant amount my heatsink had. Granted, the computer did not even throtle, but I don't like sustained temperatures over 80C for CPUs.

Gilbo

Storage is cool
I'm pretty sure dust (and kitties) is what killed my desktop. I cleaned it out but I think the damage was done.

LunarMist

I can't believe I'm a Fixture
My main computer is now so dirty it is terrible. The video card looks like there is a fungus growing on it. :bstd: I'm concerned about removing cables for fear that dirt will get in the connectors.

LunarMist

I have no shop vac. There is so much dirt that it should be hauled outside and blasted off. Unfortunately the computer is too bulky/heavy for me to safely carry at this point.

CougTek

Hairy Aussie
Are you handicaped? Most computers don't weight more than fourty pounds. Unless you have a significant physical disability, you should be able to lift that. Even if your enclosure weights more, let say like 60-70 pounds (like a big Supermicro enclosure), a middle-aged man should be able to move that without too much effort.

LunarMist

I don't know exactly how much it weighs. Nine HDs (mostly 2TB), optical drive, and four SSDs make it heavy enough. The bulk, shape and painted surface make it difficult to grip. I could handle the weight well enough if the tower were shorter and squarer. Taking it down is easier, but going back up to the upstairs bedroom would not be fun. :rr:
What if I drop it? :pale:

CougTek

Hairy Aussie
Take it like a challenge. You can train before. Buy a six pack of beers and take it uptairs a few times to start. When you'll do it with ease, do it with a twelve packs and then with a twenty four packs. You can put up to three 24 packs of beers on top of each others before the cartoon handles break. When you'll be able to move three 24 packs of beers uptairs, you'll be ready for ANY computer case.

You'll be proud...and drunk.

LunarMist

I could have handled it better before gaining the last 40 lbs. and since the accident last year.

I've never had a six pack or tried beer in cans.

LunarMist

There is not that much dust. I suppose I could post a photo, but you would laugh at my awful innards. 25-30 years ago I designed/built such neat electronics, but I don't care nowadays. :cat: