Earthquake

P5-133XL

Xmas '97
I didn't even notice one and I live on the west coast (Oregon). I had to Google it to find that it was a 6.0 centered on San Francisco. I had thought that California had building standards that would have made it effectively uneventful. Obviously, I was wrong.

Bozo

Storage? I am Storage!
I didn't even notice one and I live on the west coast (Oregon). I had to Google it to find that it was a 6.0 centered on San Francisco. I had thought that California had building standards that would have made it effectively uneventful. Obviously, I was wrong.

Those building codes have only been in effect for about 30 years. Anything built before that is a death trap.

P5-133XL

Xmas '97
There have been multiple significant local earthquakes over the time period. I would argue that most that were deathtraps have already fallen down or been fixed

Bozo

Storage? I am Storage!
All the pictures that were shown on TV were of stone, brick, or other masonry. Most looked to have been built between 1900 and the 1960's. A few more bad eggs bit the dust.

The best thing is that there were only a few injuries.

sechs

Storage? I am Storage!
I think that a lot of folks who live elsewhere fail to realise that there are earthquakes every day here in California. The North American-Pacific plate boundary runs through the landmass of the state.