Evil Empire

Santilli

Hairy Aussie
Why?

I can't help but think a lot of his stuff was smoke and mirrors. Much as Apple would cajole, persuade, daunt, buy and take credit for others work, perhaps Jobs did the same?

Too many times the top guys take credit for stuff they stole from the developers...

LunarMist

I can't believe I'm a Fixture
It seems that in forums everyone is acting like he was the second coming. It is rather sucky that a marketing dude is so revered, but that is modern culture I guess.

ddrueding

Fixture
Don't forget these are apple products, the majority of the margin is in the perception. Jobs was, at the very least, perceived to be the grand visionary.

Santilli

Hairy Aussie
I think it's nature right now with so many companies screwing consumers to try and find someone that you believe in. Apple sells stuff that if you aren't tech savy, works, is expensive, and you think you are using top quality stuff, if your a moron.

My girlfriend is going through this with her law partner. He's bought a new Mercedes, a 1996 Mercedes, thinking these cars are like the reliability of the older Mercedes. NOTHING is further from the truth. The guy is spending thousands of dollars on repairs, where the dealer barely knows what's wrong with the car, or fails to fix it.

He's loosing time, as well as money. About 5 years ago, a local guy who runs a German car repair center told me never even think of buying one of the new ones. The stuff in them breaks, is extremely hard to diagnose, and repair, and everything is super expensive.
He works on them, makes a living doing so, and drives a Toyota pickup truck. That says it all for me.

Apple reminds me of people's perception of Mercedes from the old days. Instead of using quality components, and building cars impossible to destroy, or wear out, they now are much more highly 'refined', meaning they are much more Jaguar like then the old Jaguars.

So is it with Apple. I've often thought Apple got what they paid for in Jobs. A mouthpiece who's interest was to market himself through Apple, and to claim the credit for other people's hard work.

I remember watching Jobs after OS X came out, and how he was promoting a beta operating system, on a bunch of shitty, over-priced, under powered software.
Let's remember that Apple once again took the roots from Linux/BeOS/etc.
and cobbled their OS on top of it, taking credit for 'their' product, and, trying to keep any possible influence from it's originators away from it.

What I find so offensive about Apple is their ability to steal others ideas, try and patent them, and then send lawyers in to fool judges and juries, denying the real innovators their credit.

I have a friend that designed a handgun cartridge, and Freedom Arms did the same thing to him. Business practices like this make me want to throw up, or shoot someone...

Santilli

Hairy Aussie
It's like a bad dream, jilted love affair. My mind shuts down on the details of the lost love, diminishing the hate and anger, more or less.
Maybe less.

Santilli

Hairy Aussie
"Mac OS X has since become the single most popular desktop Unix-like operating system in the world, although Mac OS X is no longer an OpenStep compliant operating system."
Quote from WP: Accurate?

Chewy509

Wotty wot wot.
"Mac OS X has since become the single most popular desktop Unix-like operating system in the world, although Mac OS X is no longer an OpenStep compliant operating system."
Quote from WP: Accurate?
Most likely, since full OpenStep compliance requires a complete user library API.

I believe Cocoa as implemented in Mac OS X 10.0 was compliant, but as it's evolved over the years, it's slowly drifted from compliance.

Mind you any OpenStep/NeXTStep/GNUStep app should take very little work to make it work with Cocoa, since they still are fairly close.

sechs

Storage? I am Storage!
I was amused how Apple was able to trick the open-source community into helping them port Mach to PowerPC with the MkLinux project.

Santilli

Hairy Aussie
I don't really see how he came to that conclusion. I see it as a bunch of folks coming up with a better OS to run on old PowerPC processors, when Appl was screwing their faithfuls, by not supporting hardware with OS X that cost thousands of dollars.

I can't think of anything more secure then such an OS, running on old mac hardware.

sechs

Storage? I am Storage!
At the time that Apple was moving to the OpenSTEP platform, Mach (which is open source) had not been ported to PowerPC. So, they created an open source project to port it, baiting the developers by saying it's Linux.

It would have made infinitely more sense to directly port the Linux kernel to PPC, rather than port Mach to PPC, and, then, port Linux to Mach.

In fact, the community, on it's own did that. And Linux PPC quickly overtook MkLinux as the preferred distro for PowerMacs.

Santilli

Hairy Aussie
First: Thanks for the response. I wish I had known this at the time. I'd just bought two PPC 333 Powermacs, and, when OS 10 came out, all the storage guys just pretty much, dumped macs, or, bit the bullet, and bought new cards, supported by OS X.

I wish I would have known of this project, since, instead of giving away my macs, I would have switched to it. Still, nothing would have solved the suck ass Grackle 73 >B/sec chipset, so they are better off gone...

Still, it would have been nice to have gotten a long life time out of a mac, just to screw with Appl...

sechs

Storage? I am Storage!
The problem at the introduction of OS X was that it was a totally different operating system with the old MacOS interface. You have to cut compatibility somewhere, or you'll never ship.

Of course, they made the whole exercise moot by switching to x86 architecture