External Drives

LunarMist

I can't believe I'm a Fixture
Are there any external enclosures of the compact tower type that house 4-5 3TB drives and be used with older OS? I don't need the RAID, though JBDOG could work if it can tolerate being separated later on. Preferably the interface would be USB 3.0 or maybe SATA, but no sluggo GbE NAS stuff.

Stereodude

Not really a
eSATA won't work since you'd be limited to 2TB due to the whole 32-bit no GPT thing. USB would though.

time

Storage? I am Storage!
The fly in the ointment being that Lunar specified "older OS". I wonder which old OS you can get USB 3.0 host adapter drivers for?

LunarMist

XP64 is the oldest OS I would be using, but eventually perhaps Windows 8 if I make it. I know XP64 does not natively support the 3TB drives, but the USB 3.0 circumvents that. However, individual drives are out of the question. I need to replace at least a small 4-bay 8TB individual eSATA box. The onboard USB 3.0 works fine so far for single external drives.

Chewy509

Wotty wot wot.
I know XP64 does not natively support the 3TB drives, but the USB 3.0 circumvents that.
Umm, XP x64 does indeed support 2TB+ drives. The only requirement is, that XP x64 can't boot from one, it must be a data only drive. (Source: http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/hardware/gg463525 )

Or are you talking about a limitation of the drive controller you are using? IIRC, any controller and BIOS that properly supports the ATA-6 standard (which introduced LBA48 addressing) should work fine...

Since SATA1.0 (or SATA150 as some now call it) uses the ATA-7 standard, it natively supports LBA48 addressing as well...

Based on the above, I see no reason why eSATA can't be a viable connection option with XP x64?

LunarMist

Hmmm. I thought there was some issue with the advancing format or the controllers had to be something new and special to support it.

LunarMist

Bleh. On the USB it only sees 700 something GB and 2048GB on the SATA 6Gbps controller.

LunarMist

Apparently the BIOS or firmware or both on the LSI are out of date, but the process for updating is completely unclear. Does anyone have experience with the manufacturer doing that as a service?