Extra Computer

LunarMist

I can't believe I'm a Fixture
I have parts, but should I put a third computer together? What do you do with piles of extra stuff?

LunarMist

Sorry, I don't understand what you meant by that. Computers are always breaking down?

Handruin

Administrator
I have parts, but should I put a third computer together? What do you do with piles of extra stuff?

Do you have any computer related projects you want to learn? I use the parts to make the demo machines the mules for experimenting. Otherwise donating or selling for the face value could be worth it if you can cope with doing that (meaning it doesn't cause any privacy issues for you).

LunarMist

Assemble it, shine it, find a gullible elder and sell it for more than it's worth.

I don't know what it is worth and don't personally know many elders or people significantly older than I am. :clown:

LunarMist

Do you have any computer related projects you want to learn? I use the parts to make the demo machines the mules for experimenting. Otherwise donating or selling for the face value could be worth it if you can cope with doing that (meaning it doesn't cause any privacy issues for you).

Perhaps Windows 7. It makes me nauseous just thinking about it. :hurl:

Handruin

Administrator
I just switched both my parents from XP to windows 7 and they didn't get nauseous. I even got one of my mom's older 16-bit games working using the XP Mode feature. She has no idea she's using a virtual machine.

CougTek

Hairy Aussie
Vista is the OS that would make you vomit. Windows 7, while not perfect, fits in the "acceptable" category.

What are the parts BTW? Would the system be relatively quiet? Is the case small? Of course, I don't want to violate your privacy by asking you to show us your parts ;-)

LunarMist

Vista is the OS that would make you vomit. Windows 7, while not perfect, fits in the "acceptable" category.

What are the parts BTW? Would the system be relatively quiet? Is the case small? Of course, I don't want to violate your privacy by asking you to show us your parts ;-)

No. It is the large, relatively noisy (though less than before), ancient Antec 10-bay case that I recently cleaned out after 8+ years. :) The rest of the specs as best I can figure are: E8600@4.2GHz, 4GB DDR2-something, GA-EP35-something, PATA NEC 16x DVD±RW, inefficient yet functional Coolermaster 600W PS, ATI-something R3650 video card, some other PCI cards, etc. There are no fixed internal drives, but two 3.5" and a dual 2.5" trayless racks for hard drives/SSDs.