Fanless CPU cooler

CougTek

Hairy Aussie
"Only" 500$ with the chassis and bundled PSU. Forgot to mention that it weights two pounds.

Thanks, but I'll pass.

MaxBurn

Storage Is My Life
Only 100W? I guess it isn't good enough for the big boys.

LunarMist

I can't believe I'm a Fixture
Jeeze. How about a good cooler with a large, very slow fan?

Mercutio

Fatwah on Western Digital
I've read that the most common 8" and 12" fans (oversized for computer use) from the usual suspects like Sunon are actually pretty loud. One of my students bought a Cooler Master case with a built-in 8" fan and it was unmistakably audible even though the retail packaging trumpeted that case's "whisper quiet operation."

And I guess the package wasn't lying. The inert metal/plastic case wasn't the part that was making noise. It was the fan. Which was a bullet point on the package, but which wasn't said to be quiet.

LunarMist

Noisy fans? not a problem, fit a fanbus, do a volt mod on the said fan OR wire a variable trimpot (resistor) in line ;)

The problem with fixed, low-speed fans is that they don't provide a lot of cooling with the 4-6 core O/C systems under extended full load.

tazwegion

Learning Storage Performance
The problem with fixed, low-speed fans is that they don't provide a lot of cooling with the 4-6 core O/C systems under extended full load.

I was responding to Mercutio's case fan observation...

I wouldn't put a low speed fan on any CPU, that's what system regulated variable fan control is for ;)

Handruin

Administrator
I was responding to Mercutio's case fan observation...

I wouldn't put a low speed fan on any CPU, that's what system regulated variable fan control is for ;)

I'm running a constant speed fan on my CPU cooler and I prefer the constant sound to the variable alternative. I believe the fan speed is 1200 RPMs and mostly inaudible in my case.

CougTek

Hairy Aussie
The best 140mm I've seen, according to the many reviews I've read, seems to be the Prolimatech Blue Vortex 14. It's quieter, for the same generated airflow, than either the Thermalright or Noctua 14cm fans. It's inexpensive too. You can get it from SVC for ~10$. I think that store is not too far from you so you could pick them up instead of shipping. There's a slightly more expensive variant with red LED, if that's your kind of things.

The second best 14cm fan is probably the Thermalright TY-140.

ddrueding

Fixture
Thanks Coug. Have any of the reputable companies come out with anything larger? There is basically no static pressure, straight CFM at low noise is ideal.

ddrueding

Fixture
I have quite a few of the 120mm and 80mm Noctua fans, and am quite happy with them. I didn't get their 140mm fans because I couldn't set them on edge and have them stay up.

CougTek

Hairy Aussie
There's a comparison of the Noctua and Prolimatech fans on this page. As you can see, at equivalent noise level, the Prolimatech cools better than the Noctua. So no, I wouldn't pay more for the Noctua. In fact, I wouldn't pay for it even if it cost the same as the Prolimatech.

From the page I linked :
The Red Vortex fans performed noticeably better than our reference Noctuas, beating them by a couple of degrees at the 21~22 dBA level. The difference was greater at 13 dBA when you consider the Prolimatech fans provided superior cooling for the Northbridge and VRM heatsink by margins of 4°C and 7°C, respectively.

Handruin

Administrator
looks like a beast! ;)

Low RPM doesn't have to mean low CFM, still I'll stick with a variable fan for now as it's reassuring to hear them speed up occasionally :D

I hear ya. I tested the heck out of the new heat-sink and fan and I've been running Folding@home for months which is maxing out the CPU and the temps are always way below the max allowed for the CPU. I'm seeing high 50 degree C and low 60's C during max load. The stock CPU cooler was near 80 degrees C during max load.

ddrueding

Fixture
If you are running F@H, or some other app that will max your CPU constantly, variable speed fans are not significant. You've basically converted your machine into a steady-state heat source.

Handruin

Administrator
If you are running F@H, or some other app that will max your CPU constantly, variable speed fans are not significant. You've basically converted your machine into a steady-state heat source.

My point was that even under a max load, the static speed fan is still capable enough to cool the CPU to a level that's below the maximum allowed by Intel. Even with a variable speed fan, the heat output will be the same, it's just that the variable fan would have allowed it to dissipate faster/slower based on the load on the CPU.

time

Storage? I am Storage!
... even under a max load, the static speed fan is still capable enough to cool the CPU to a level that's below the maximum allowed by Intel.

Exactly. Kudos for clear thinking, it's in short supply when people start talking about cooling.

ddrueding

Fixture
My point was that even under a max load, the static speed fan is still capable enough to cool the CPU to a level that's below the maximum allowed by Intel. Even with a variable speed fan, the heat output will be the same, it's just that the variable fan would have allowed it to dissipate faster/slower based on the load on the CPU.

I completely agree. My point was that with a constant load, the variability is irrelevant, as it won't vary.

tazwegion

I completely agree. My point was that with a constant load, the variability is irrelevant, as it won't vary.

Except when your PC is attempting to send or awaiting download WU's ;)

ddrueding said:

Mmmmmm... folding farm = nice and toasty during the winter months :D

tazwegion

That is very inefficient like a space heater.

I don't know, those Noirot space heaters (and their direct competitors) run a 50/50 cycle and work out to just 4c per hour for the 2000w unit (on a medium setting) it doesn't turn in F@H WU's but at least we don't freeze during winter :D

I think our reverse cycle A/C is more efficient but unfortunately it refuses to function when temperatures outside drop much below 2c :(

LunarMist

Thermal heat from any source is all the same, although it may be distributed differently within the room by fan, convection, IR , etc. a heat pump is a different issue. By space heater we typically mean a small, relatively cheap unit, not the kind you mount on the wall.

tazwegion

Thermal heat from any source is all the same, although it may be distributed differently within the room by fan, convection, IR , etc. a heat pump is a different issue. By space heater we typically mean a small, relatively cheap unit, not the kind you mount on the wall.

Oh I see... thanks for the clarification, so basically a radiant element heater :D

Bozo

Storage? I am Storage!
I'd argue a space heater is very efficient, if not close to 100%. However, it is not cost effective.

Electric space heater are almost 100% efficient as all the heat goes into the room. Even the heat generated by the fan.