Fanless power supply.

Mercutio

Fatwah on Western Digital
That seems awfully rich just to get some extra ventilation and some extra copper and/or aluminum on the inside.

sechs

Storage? I am Storage!
I'm pretty sure that Seasonic PSUs are expensive, whether they have fans or not.

LunarMist

I can't believe I'm a Fixture
I'm happy enough with a slow, quiet fan. I don't live in the anechoic chamber as some seem to do.

Mercutio

I noticed that the PSU in the PC next my bed no longer has an operating fan. It's a simple 500W Antec Earthwatts. That machine is an i7 with seven 1TB drives and my old 8800GTX.

I'm pretty sure that PSU is out of warranty, so now I'm curious to see how long it will operate without that fan running.

Mercutio

I can certainly understand the desire for a certain threshold of quiet, but after a certain point there's not much to be done. The difference between a 120mm fan spinning at 800rpm and no fan at all is low enough that I can barely tell, and that's on a computer that's right next to my head while I'm trying to sleep.

MaxBurn

Storage Is My Life
I am at the point where I can hear the electrical components buzzing and ringing on my machine. The fans make a bit of a quiet droning too but they are about as quiet as fans can get. After a certain point there isn't much you can do for a home PC.

Handruin

Administrator
I am at the point where I can hear the electrical components buzzing and ringing on my machine. The fans make a bit of a quiet droning too but they are about as quiet as fans can get. After a certain point there isn't much you can do for a home PC.

I've noticed this same phenomenon in my laptop when I've been doing lots of data transfer over my network. I can hear a high pitch varying noise that fluctuates with the data throughput. I agree that even a light fan noise is preferred due to its constant noise.

time

Storage? I am Storage!
Some motherboards are too quick to vary fan speed as the temperature changes. The human ear can far more readily detect small changes in pitch than the presence or absence of noise. I used to think - like quite a few people apparently - that the power supply must be weak. :)

ddrueding

Fixture

I superglued all the coils on the motherboard. That helped quite a bit.

ddrueding

Fixture
For real. The coils don't get that hot, but it doesn't smell after it's dried. The objective is to prevent them vibrating, particularly against the ferrite cores.

MaxBurn

Storage Is My Life
I am fairly well that one of the noises is on one of the video cards, at certain resolutions on games it is worse. Sometimes if I get some flash on a page and I scroll I can change the pitch of the noise. It's not really intrusive.

MaxBurn

Storage Is My Life
Yeah I have that too but as time mentioned when these noises come and go you pick up on them despite the "interference".

LunarMist

I can't believe I'm a Fixture
For real. The coils don't get that hot, but it doesn't smell after it's dried. The objective is to prevent them vibrating, particularly against the ferrite cores.

Why not an epoxide glue? We used such resins for potting all sorts of devices in the olden days.

MaxBurn

Storage Is My Life
I had a noisy iphone charger that I got for like $4 off ebay, looks just like the square 10W charger apple sells but looking closely you can tell it is a china knockoff which is fine by me. It made a high pitched noise when charging, super annoying and considering all the electronics around me hard to even find where it was coming from.

Thinking back to this thread I split the thing apart and slathered every component in this:
http://www.permatex.com/products/au...ermatex_High-Temp_Red_RTV_Silicone_Gasket.htm
I had it around from working on the rover water pump. RTV is rather rubbery when it is set and I thought it would make an excellent noise damper. Worked great, I can't hear a thing from it now.