Fast 16GB USB Flash Drive

timwhit

Hairy Aussie
I'm looking for a cheap and fast 16GB USB flash drive. Does anyone have experience with these? I would rather not mess around with MIRs if possible.

Fushigi

Storage Is My Life
Do you want fast reads, writes, or both? Most drives can read decently fast but are a good bit slower at writing.

ddrueding

Fixture
It isn't known for speed, and I haven't benchmarked them, but I'm fond of the OCZ Diesel. Just bought a pair of 16GB ones for on-the-road photo backup.

timwhit

Hairy Aussie
Do you want fast reads, writes, or both? Most drives can read decently fast but are a good bit slower at writing.

Fast reads are more important than fast writes, but both are nice. I'm planning on using it for booting a Linux live cd. I would guess random reads are of utmost importance here.

I will also use it for transferring large files between computers, speed is less important here, I just don't want it to be a dog.

Stereodude

Not really a
Fast and cheap don't go together when it comes to USB flash drives. The fastest ones are the Buffalo quad channel SLC ones that aren't sold in the US, but the 16GB model is ~$300.

Unfortunately it seems that flash drive makers weren't able to convince most consumers that faster performance was worth paying for since nearly all of them have abandoned their high speed / more expensive products.

timwhit

Hairy Aussie
Let me rephrase: What USB flash drive would you buy that combines decent speed and a decent price?

timwhit

Hairy Aussie
You could put the Fedora 11 Live CD on there and see how long it takes to get to the desktop. If you have multiple drives it will be repeatable.

ddrueding

Fixture
Yup, all blank except the Vertex (OS). My 16/32/64GB drives are out at the moment, but I'll try to test them when they get back.

Stereodude

Not really a
My USB2.0 flash drives. None were blank, but I don't think it matters.

1GB Buffalo RUF2-S:
1gbbuffaloruf2s.png

4GB Buffalo RUF2-S:
4gbbuffaloruf2s.png

4GB Patriot Xporter XT:
4gbpatriotxporterxt.png

512MB OCZ Rally2:
512mboczrally2.png

2GB Generic:
2gbgeneric.png

2GB Corsair Flash Voyager:
2gbcorsairflashvoyager.png

Stereodude

Not really a
A few more random data points

8GB Sandisk Extreme IV CF 45MB/sec in Kingston 19in1 (UDMA) USB2.0 reader:
8gbscfexiv45.png

8GB Sandisk Extreme III SD 20MB/sec in Kingston 19in1 (UDMA) USB2.0 reader:
8gbssdexiii20.png

4GB Lexar 133x SDHC in Kingston 19in1 (UDMA) USB2.0 reader:
4gblexarsd133x.png

FWIW, my Lexar SDHC reader is a little faster than the Kingston 19in1 for SDHC cards. No ATTO graphs though.

LunarMist

I can't believe I'm a Fixture
I use CF cards in USB adapters, but the cards are faster than the USB. I can't wait for USB 3.0. I bought a Sandisk Cruzer type of USB drive a week ago or so. Reads were around 25 and writes around 12. Not bad, not great, but OK for $20 in the store.

Mercutio

Fatwah on Western Digital
27MB/sec is basically the real world throughput limit for USB2.0. If you can get anything over 25MB/sec you're basically set.

LunarMist

I can't believe I'm a Fixture
I have a 250GB WD Passport shell with a 500GB drive in it. Does that count?

Now I have $500 worth (3x640GB) of Seagate FreedAgent Go drives ripped up to pull the drives for a notebook and two PSDs. Is that better? At least one of the PSDs has an eSATA port in addition to USB, but my personal notebook cannot use eSATA. :(

I have 6TB of notebook drives. Crazy.

time

Storage? I am Storage!
You probably can't get them, and I couldn't be bothered posting the graph, but Verbatim flash drives are remarkably good value. Not sure about international relativities, but 16GB costs about US$50 here.

I just measured 29MB/s reads and 15MB/s writes.

According to some fairly recent tests I saw, Super Talent is another fast but cheap brand. Most flash drives - regardless of price - suck at write performance, so it's handy to know the handful of ones that don't.

mubs

Storage? I am Storage!
Now that's interesting. Verbatim flash drives are available here (India), but no performance numbers are given on any vendor's website, and neither are they given on Verbatim's website. I was leery of buying this brand because so little is known about them.

The following are available:
Store'n'Go Mini Traveller 4GB Model 48002
Store'n'Go Mini Traveller 8GB Model 48003

Would you know how they perform? Thanks!

time

Storage? I am Storage!
The drive I measured was in fact a 4GB version. I did find some specs somewhere that suggested that all sizes have the same performance, which is unusual. They're all ReadyBoost compatible, by the way.

Without seeing someone else's tests first, I wouldn't have considered Verbatim because I thought they were cheap stuff sold in discount stores. Whereas most expensive brands are actually poor performers. Just goes to show, you can't judge a book by its cover.

time

Storage? I am Storage!
Sorry about the delay, Mubs. The drive itself doesn't have the model number on it, so I waited until I had a chance to go back to the store.

The 4GB is 47332 and the 8GB 47333. Both also have the code 0802-58, if that means anything.

47332_0.jpg

mubs

Storage? I am Storage!
Thanks Time. The models numbers are different, so I don't know if what I get here will be duds. I read a news item the other day that USB-3 controllers will start to become available last quarter this year / first quarter next year, and that devices will also be available in the same time frame. Maybe it's worth waiting for USB-3 flash drives? I can always buy a USB-3 controller and stick it into my system.