Feedback on PC build for a friend

Handruin

Administrator
His old computer is mostly dead which was a Dell Dimension 8400. It will be used for basic desktop (email, internet) and some gaming. Will the proposed machine listed below be faster than a P4 3.6GHz?

Intel E5200 Wolfdale 2.5GHz for $73.
or
Intel E7500 2.93GHz for $140?

Intel GIGABYTE GA-G31M-ES2L LGA 775 $53
Crucial 2x 1GB DDR 2 800 $23
Samsung HD642JJ 640GB 7200 RPM $60
Pioneer 20x DVD-R $23
Antec Three Hundred Case $60
SeaSonic SS-400ET 400W $57
or
CORSAIR CMPSU-450VX 450W $70 ($60 after MIR).

EVGA GeForce 9600 GT SSC Edition 512MB $100 ($70 after MIR)

Any thoughts?

CougTek

Hairy Aussie
The Pentium Dual Core E5200 is the best value in its price range, but I would take a Phenom II X3 710 over the Core 2 Duo E7500. The MSI K9N2GM-FD accepts it and has better integrated graphics and a better VRM design to feed the CPU.

Are you sure the 24 pins ATX connector of the Seasonic 400ET is long enough for the Antec Three Hundred? I once had the 350ET from Seasonic and there's no way I could have used it in the Three Hundred.

Also, a Radeon HD 4830 is faster than the GeFarce 9600GT and about the same price.

Buy a single 2GB RAM if you can't afford to buy two. Increasing the amount of memory afterward will be simpler.

LunarMist

I can't believe I'm a Fixture
Wolfdales are surely faster than P4s and OC like mad.

Mercutio

Fatwah on Western Digital
I just built a system with an Antec 300 case and a Seasonic 380W PSU. It was more than long enough.

My generic motherboard choice of late has been the Intel DG31PR. I've been able to find them for around $50 and I don't have any particular objections to them.

I would really, really avoid that Pioneer drive. They're horribly loud and slow compared to the Optiarcs.

Also, the GF9600 is probably a good deal for the money, but from an environmental standpoint, they're a pain. The stock fans on those things are awful and at least on the few different brands I've encountered (PNY, XFX and one other), they don't seem to be speed controlled.

Handruin

Administrator
The Pentium Dual Core E5200 is the best value in its price range, but I would take a Phenom II X3 710 over the Core 2 Duo E7500. The MSI K9N2GM-FD accepts it and has better integrated graphics and a better VRM design to feed the CPU.

Are you sure the 24 pins ATX connector of the Seasonic 400ET is long enough for the Antec Three Hundred? I once had the 350ET from Seasonic and there's no way I could have used it in the Three Hundred.

Also, a Radeon HD 4830 is faster than the GeFarce 9600GT and about the same price.

Buy a single 2GB RAM if you can't afford to buy two. Increasing the amount of memory afterward will be simpler.

I was hoping to try Intel this time around and they seem to be pretty good these days. The integrated graphics isn't really required, I'd like a full 16x PCIe graphics card in the system.

I don't know if te cable will reach, but I didn't think the case was that large. Merc says it'll reach, I'll take his word on it.

The motherboard says it's dual channel, I don't think I can populate it with just the one DIMM. I'll see if the person wants 4GB memory, I can't see them needing it for what they'll be doing, but you're right the price is cheap.

LiamC

Storage Is My Life
http://www.techreport.com/articles.x/16570

The AMD offerings are compelling at this point in time. I would tend to favour the larger cache models of Intel's offerings over the smaller if the person multi-tasks much--they feel "snappier"

I also echo the NVIDIA vs AMD graphics. NVIDIA has a smelly odour right now. BTW, AMD will be refreshing their graphics line-up in about 3 weeks, and rumour has it that the 4750 (new model) should be priced like 4670, but perform like 4850. Bargain! If performance isn't that much of an issue, then it will also mean that current models will be discounted to clear. NVIDIA (if your still intent on going that route) will have to respond.

Handruin

Administrator
No, I believe you, thanks for the offer. How is the case in general, is it worth ~$60?

I've been kind of gun-shy to AMD/ATI after having my own oddities in the past. I've had a few games which have had issues where I needed to find that AMD multi-core optimizer, otherwise the gaming performance was terrible. I don't mind dealing with that in my own systems, but I don't want someone else to have to experience oddities like that. I could just be over-sensitive to it right now.

Also, my last couple experiences with older ATI video cards was less than pleasant. Are the new generations that much better? What manufacturers would you recommend for ATI?

What video cards do you guys put into systems for average gaming needs? We're not talking Crysys here, but the occasional RTS and RPG games.

What about this SAPPHIRE 100255U Radeon HD 4670 512MB? It has no fan and should be silent. It's about the same price ($71) after MIR.

Mercutio

Fatwah on Western Digital
It's very much a standard Antec case, only with the PSU situated at the bottom rather than the top. I actually like the open design of the Three Hundred better than the compartmentalized P180. The system I built has seven 1TB drives and one Intel SSD in it and the cabling isn't quite as much of a clusterfuck on the lower right corner of the motherboard as in the P180.

I used the 380W Corsair PSU because I had it handy. I'd feel more comfortable with a larger unit but I didn't have one on hand and it IS enough to run all those drives.

I'm not terribly fond of the looks of that case, and I would have preferred to get a case that actually had a PSU, but I think I wound up paying $38 for it, so I'm not too picky. The interior is a small step up from an NSK4850, in that it comes with a 120mm top fan. In exchange, there's no removable drive cage and hard disk are not mounted on grommets.

Overall I'd say it's acceptable, nothing to get excited about. Certainly worth $50 if you already have a decent PSU.

CougTek

Hairy Aussie
The Seasonic 380W Mercutio is talking about is a different power supply than the 350ET I worked with. The 380W is part of the S12 or S12-II brand, while the ET is a lower end brand. The cable length is different (the ET being shorter).

I'm eager to post an "I told you so" reply to this thread...

CougTek

Hairy Aussie
The motherboard says it's dual channel, I don't think I can populate it with just the one DIMM.
Of course you can. It is capable of using two DIMMs in dual channel, but it is in no way required to.

What about this SAPPHIRE 100255U Radeon HD 4670 512MB? It has no fan and should be silent. It's about the same price ($71) after MIR.
The Radeon HD 4670 is acceptable, but a good 20% slower than the GeForce 9600GT. The HD 4830 is much faster (but consumes easily twice as much power).

Handruin

Administrator
The Seasonic 380W Mercutio is talking about is a different power supply than the 350ET I worked with. The 380W is part of the S12 or S12-II brand, while the ET is a lower end brand. The cable length is different (the ET being shorter).

I'm eager to post an "I told you so" reply to this thread...

No need to post a told me so, thanks for clarifying the two PSU are different I wasn't aware. My impression of the Antec Three hundred was that it is a mid-size case, not some large monster.

I can go with either the Corsair I mentioned of the Seasonic S12 II 380W like Merc used at $63. The Corsair offers higher wattage and a single 33A 12V rail which might be better. Where as the Seasonic is a two-rail +12V1@17A,+12V2@17A.