Ferrite rings...do you use them when you assemble a case?

CityK

Storage Freak Apprentice
They never seem big enough to fit any of the connectors through them. Am I missing something?

CityK

Storage Freak Apprentice
The little O rings that are included in the bag of screws with cases. Your supposed to use them on case connector wires (power, usb, etc) near that mobo header.

CityK

Storage Freak Apprentice
ddrueding said:
Do you have a picture of one? I've built about 20 PCs this week, and don't know what you're talking about.

Don't have a pic. The last three Antec cases I worked with had them (two were 3700AMB, one Sonota) included in the box with the bag of screws, drive rails, case badge etc etc. Maybe I'm mistaking something else?

P5-133XL

Xmas '97
Are you talking about the insulating rings that are supposed to be used between the case standoffs and the MB?

ddrueding

Fixture
CityK said:
ddrueding said:
Do you have a picture of one? I've built about 20 PCs this week, and don't know what you're talking about.

Don't have a pic. The last three Antec cases I worked with had them (two were 3700AMB, one Sonota) included in the box with the bag of screws, drive rails, case badge etc etc. Maybe I'm mistaking something else?

I have the bags from 4 Antec Sonatas, 6 Antec Lanboy Deluxe, and 2 Antec 3U Rackmount Chassis on my bench right now. I don't know what to suggest, as I see nothing that could even be called a ring...

The Rackmount chassi did ship woth some wire ties :p

CityK

Storage Freak Apprentice
P5-133XL said:
Are you talking about the insulating rings that are supposed to be used between the case standoffs and the MB?
I don't think so Mark. Are insulation rings commonly included with Antec's, as I don't recall ever seeing them. The standoff insulation rings that I've come across in the past were all paper-like, and I haven't seen any included in a case's screws & accessory contents for a while (mind you I'm not putting systems together very often).

What I'm talking about is a pair of black O rings. They're roughly 1cm in diameter and the diameter of the ring's hole itself is probably only near .4cm. They aren't very maliable. In all three of these cases only a pair have been included.

ddrueding

Fixture
CityK said:
What I'm talking about is a pair of black O rings. They're roughly 1cm in diameter and the diameter of the ring's hole itself is probably only near .4cm. They aren't very maliable. In all three of these cases only a pair have been included.

Never seen them, must be one of those weird, Canadian things. :p

ddrueding

Fixture
Alright, so you link a PDF doc without warning and 2 web links that don't include pictures?

If I didn't know what they were, I'd be sensing a conspiracy throery here...

Handruin

Administrator
page5-7a~2527-2.jpg

CityK

Storage Freak Apprentice
ddrueding said:
Alright, so you link a PDF doc without warning
Oops....I'm usually pretty good about that

and 2 web links that don't include pictures?
See pdf.

If I didn't know what they were, I'd be sensing a conspiracy throery here...
Yeah me and Chieftec are pretty tight :D

The one has a much bigger hole diameter then the ones I've seen Handy. The one in the pdf photo is almost identical

Will Rickards WT

Learning Storage Performance
Website
www.willrickards.net
CityK said:
Ahem, I waiting for it Will :D

Waiting for....?

I am reminded of last night's simpsons episode where the mean judge lady sentenced bart and homer to be tethered together and when marge cut the cable by the wonders of fiber optics there were able to have a two-way communication with the judge... who just happened to be in her judge outfit at the late hour...

Bozo

Storage? I am Storage!
I've assembled about 15 compters this year so far and none of them had the ring. All were Antec cases.

The last time I remember seeing that ring was when I assembled a computer with a BX chipset, ~1999.

Bozo :mrgrn:

P5-133XL

Xmas '97
They look like the ferite rings to protect against EMI. I don't associate them being delivered with computer cases at all - Antec or otherwise. I can't imagine why they'd be needed unless the power cables they supply are of very poor quality and are broadcasting at unacceptable levels. Even then, power cables are low frequency devices and don't tend to broadcast much at frequencies that matter. They could be used inside the PS to keep it from broadcasting, but then you shouldn't be needing to modify the PS in any form: It should already be designed properly.

Mercutio

Fatwah on Western Digital
I've seen them from time to time inside certain cases. The front panel connectors are sometimes wrapped around a ferrite ring.

P5-133XL

Xmas '97
Mercutio said:
I've seen them from time to time inside certain cases. The front panel connectors are sometimes wrapped around a ferrite ring.

Again, for what purpose: Front pannel wiring tends to be low frequency, low voltage, low current and thereby not producing enough RF radiation to bother with.

ddrueding

Fixture
P5-133XL said:
Mercutio said:

Again, for what purpose: Front pannel wiring tends to be low frequency, low voltage, low current and thereby not producing enough RF radiation to bother with.

FW800? USB2.0? 20,000V pass-through for your cattle-prod?

CityK

Storage Freak Apprentice
P5-133XL said:
Precisely.

I don't associate them being delivered with computer cases at all - Antec or otherwise
My polling of the electorate here would seem to indicate that you are certainly not alone. As for myself, the inclusion in these last 3 antec case contents packages was the first time I personally encountered these rings. Nevertheless, I have previously come across sporadic tales/questions about ferrite rings for case wiring leads in several user forms. Given these previous descriptions, this is why I assumed that what I had encountered were also ferrite rings.

I can't imagine why they'd be needed unless the power cables they supply are of very poor quality and are broadcasting at unacceptable levels. Even then, power cables are low frequency devices and don't tend to broadcast much at frequencies that matter. They could be used inside the PS to keep it from broadcasting, but then you shouldn't be needing to modify the PS in any form: It should already be designed properly.
From what I've read in the past, some USB case leads can be particularly susceptible to becoming broadcasting antenneas

I jotted down some notes a while back. I'll dig them up and post them later on.

Mercutio said:
The front panel connectors are sometimes wrapped around a ferrite ring.
My understanding is that wrapping the wires multiple times through the core is indeed the most effective implementation.....I just can't figure out how anyone could even get the wires through the core just once without a lot of hassle, let alone multiple times

ddrueding said:
Never seen them, must be one of those weird, Canadian things.
This might actually be not too far off the mark - Perhaps a change to the regulatory standards for electrical equipment has been implemented and brought about a new inclusion requirement for ferrite rings? Just a wild guess, but certainly plausible.

Will said:
Waiting for....?
Sorry Will. I had a lapse of concentration there. By the time I posted "I'm waiting for it", I had forgotten the context of your post and had instead confused\twisted it into a jestful insignuation of unfounded paranoia. Hence, when I offered proof of the existence of ferrite rings for case wire leads, I (mistakenly) jested back that it was time for you to pony up an appology. Nothing to see here. Moving along now. :D

time

Storage? I am Storage!
Any cable plugged into the outside of a case is a potential broadcast antennae. The ferrite rings are probably supposed to minimize this effect; can one of the true electronics people here clarify this?

I'm stumbling around here, but perhaps the fact that there's an internal cable to the front panel connectors creates a bigger problem than usual? After all, doesn't USB 2.0 have a bitrate of 240Mbs?

I'd guess that they only expect you to push a single loop of cable through it, i.e. double it over and push it through for about a centimeter or so.

CityK

Storage Freak Apprentice
Checking my notes I had written down about usb cables and ferrite turned out to be not particularly illuminating. I just noted that troubles with usb devices can often be tracked back to crappy cables susceptable to EM noise, and that simply buying a ferrite core and looping the cable through it can do wonders to alleviate said problems...or buying properly sheild usb cables.

Then at some other time I jotted down some other stuff (from where and when who knows):
Ferite components are frequently used on circuit leads, component leads (resistors...capacitors, etc), in the design of circuits to eleminate the generation of unwanted radiation and/or coupling of radio_frequency energy that would cause havoc to the device's proper operation.

The wire case leads, originating from the motherboard headers act as radiating antennas and generate interference. Inserting or looping the case wires through a ferrite ring will reduce the cable's ability to radiate interference (It is the same as inserting a radio_frequency choke in series with the lead). This is most effective if the loop is placed as close to the mobo header as possible, thereby choking/cutting off the RF energy before it has adequate antenna length to radiate ... as opposed to placing the ferite choke near the switches and LED's. The effectiveness can be increased even more by passing the ends of the leads through the ferite loop several times...effectively increasing the resistance [impedence] to the flow of RF energy!

Computer Generated Baby

time said:
Any cable plugged into the outside of a case is a potential broadcast antennae. The ferrite rings are probably supposed to minimize this effect; can one of the true electronics people here clarify this?

Actually, the other way around -- wires or cabling acting like a receiving aerial. If you have possible "broadcast" RFI problems, then shielding to earth is the answer.

Ferrite beads and donuts simply suppress millivolt-level signals down close to nil without producing any ill effects like DC offset, phase change, or significant attenuation on the "larger" signals traversing the wiring. Use of ferrites is a form of permeable noise filtering, in that the signal permeates the filter.

time

Storage? I am Storage!
Sorry CGB, it's to minimize broadcast. Perhaps you're confusing digital and analog design issues?

"millivolt-level signals" are of little interest in a digital application. And no offense, but "permeable noise filtering, in that the signal permeates the filter" is gobbledegook. That's what a filter does: it passes some things and blocks others.

A common problem with most rf generating equipment (transmitters, computers, dimmers, fluorescent lights, motors) is the radiated rf from the external leads attached to them. This is called rfi (rf interference) or emi (electromagnetic interference), and it can cause interference to the reception of TV or radio broadcasts, and even interfere with audio equipment.
Disconnect all possible external leads from the computer and receiver, including the antenna, especially any interconnecting leads, which should be screened with grounding at the receiver end.
Now begin applying suppression on each lead (one at a time) and noting the effect on rfi. The mains lead may require a few turns wound through a large core such as the FT-240-43/77, but the split beads are easier to fit to terminated cables such as video, keyboard, mouse etc.

http://www.catchnet.com.au/~rjandusimports/

Computer Generated Baby

time said:
Sorry CGB, it's to minimize broadcast...
Not in the case of what we're talking about here, though! The use of ferrites here is to reduce hash on low-speed signal lines. In the case of what we are talking about here (computer chassis), a well-engineered shielding design is the answer.

Perhaps you're confusing digital and analog design issues?
No offence, but you just can't separate the analogue domain from the digital domain when it comes to the topic of noise (in addition to noise levels, some other analogue factors in a digital circuit would be input and output impedance, propagation, attenuation).

"millivolt-level signals" are of little interest in a digital application.
If you are thinking *strictly* logic levels at low frequencies, then yes, there is no affect as such an this is where digital triumphs. However, as far as common high-speed digital goes, low levels of noise can absolutely play havoc on its operation. I'll give a hint: edge clock determination.

And no offense, but "permeable noise filtering, in that the signal permeates the filter" is gobbledegook.
Well, it certainly is not gobbledygook. A *digital* signal that goes through a permeable filter is completely unadulterated.

NRG = mc²

Storage is cool
I've had these provided with almost all cases I've used, though I never bother to fit them.