FIC nForce2 board...is an EPoX?

CougTek

Hairy Aussie
That possibility stoke me when I saw the picture of the FIC AU11 :

FIC AU11

ficau11_full.jpg

EPoX EP-8RDA+

8rda+_big.jpg

Or is this just the reference design from nVIDIA?

CityK

Storage Freak Apprentice
Come on Coug, clearly they are different boards:

1 - Fic uses shiny silver label on Southbridge; none on Epox
2 - Fic uses blue label on chip that is to the right of the battery; none on Epox
3 - Epox has extra silk screen labelling right under NorthBridge; Fic has none
4 - Epox has digital Bios boot error code thing; none on Fic
5 - Fic uses a blue and yellow header (left side, centre); Epox uses B & W headers
6 - Lastly, and most convincingly, Fic's right back panel USB ports are short (same length as PS2 ports); Epox's are longer.

CK

Handruin

Administrator
True that there are some minor differences, but the two boards are very close in similarities. The next thing to look at is performance reviews of each. It would be interesting to see if both boards were almost identical.

I did a search for nforce2 reference design and it didn't look like either board.

0,3363,sz=1&i=13453,00.jpg

CityK

Storage Freak Apprentice
the two boards are very close in similarities
Close! Unless you count a shiny silver sticker as a feature, those are the same boards. Actually, I guess the only real differing thing is the inclusion of the BIOS error code display on the Epox (a characteristic design feature of theirs I believe). But its pretty obvious FIC could have put one on as well.

Bios tweaking, thats about the only difference I would imagine.

Cheers, CK

CougTek

Hairy Aussie
CityK said:
Actually, I guess the only real differing thing is the inclusion of the BIOS error code display on the Epox (a characteristic design feature of theirs I believe). But its pretty obvious FIC could have put one on as well.
If you look carefully, you'll see that the pins are even there for the LED display on the FIC. It's just that the chips aren't sold on.

I didn't notice the USB port lenght difference, but I'm still pretty sure those two boards only differ on a few aesthetic points. I would be curious to flash the BIOS of the FIC with one made for the EPoX.

time

Storage? I am Storage!
You can also see mounting points on the FIC for Epox's longer USB socket. And there's provision for an additional chip which is under the second PCI slot on the Epox.

With the diagnostic readout in particular, it's almost impossible not to believe that this is an Epox design.

double bit CRC error

What is this storage?
so, is this a good thing or a bad thing? is Epox quality better than FIC? and will the quality of Epox designs carry over to this board? will the FIC be cheaper than the Epox model?

Interesting things to think upon. We'll have to wait for the reviews.

CougTek

Hairy Aussie
double bit CRC error said:
so, is this a good thing or a bad thing?
A good thing. The EPoX, along with maybe the Abit NF7-S, is probably the best nForce2 implementation so far.
...is Epox quality better than FIC?
Generally, they are a notch above, but FIC made some good boards too. They are just not as constant in their quality as EPoX is.
...and will the quality of Epox designs carry over to this board?
Since both apparently share the same design, I presume the FIC will be just as overclocking-friendly as the EPoX is.
...will the FIC be cheaper than the Epox model?
That's what I expect and hope.
Interesting things to think upon. We'll have to wait for the reviews.
No need to wait, here's a review : http://www.pcstats.com/articleview.cfm?articleID=1322

Although we might have to wait for a quality review. I am very curious to see how the FIC would fare against the EPoX. I guess it will be a tad slower in benchmarks since FIC never mastered the art of optimizing a BIOS...unless they copy/paste the one from EPoX.

double bit CRC error

What is this storage?
Personally I think the Epox board is not going to suit me because of the lack of audio outputs..

Asus got it right on their deluxe board, but the non-deluxe a7n shares the same folly as the Epox.... might as well get the Epox.. probably cheaper and overclock better.

double bit CRC error

What is this storage?
exactly, both the Asus a7n (non-deluxe) and the Epox boards have only 3 audio jacks... meaning that you cannot use any inputs if you are using the 5.1 channel sound... and only 1 input if you are using 4 channel sound...

If you are one of the people who think along the lines of "well who needs 5 channel sound and an input simultanesouly.. not me, I'll just use Y splitters".... you'll probably end up with crappy sound connecting an input such as your microphone to a splitter that serves also as an output for one of your speakers....

The only alternative with one of these stipped down boards is to swap cables back and forth or use some sort of a switch...

This probably wont effect the average computer user.. but if you use your computer for gaming.... or for a HTPC or somewhere inbetween you will probably be disapointed with these boards.

Clocker

Storage? I am Storage!
I believe that is what the SoundStorm adapter card is for if I remember correctly. I could be wrong but I think that's it. I only need one input and output so I never have payed much attention to that stuff.

C

Mercutio

Fatwah on Western Digital
Is the 3-jacks in a vertical column some kind of new standard in the backplate arrangement? I've seen it on Abit and Asus boards, but nothing that I buy or use. Is that the direction we're going?

timwhit

Hairy Aussie
Mercutio said:
Is the 3-jacks in a vertical column some kind of new standard in the backplate arrangement? I've seen it on Abit and Asus boards, but nothing that I buy or use. Is that the direction we're going?

It seems almost all new boards use the vertical audio. Makes it a pain to try to put it into a 1U when that backplate isn't available.

Buck

Storage? I am Storage!
Website
www.hlmcompany.com
Mercutio said:

It is becoming more prevelant and is a pain. Standard ATX back planes don't allow for the stacked configuration. So when you're building systems, you need to remove the standard knockout that came with the case and use the one that came with the motherboard. How about making system assembly a bit easier for a change? Time is money.

Mercutio

Fatwah on Western Digital
OK. That's monumentally stupid. We're getting back to AT-style stupidities, here.

We've have no standard for front USB, audio or firewire. The couple of boards I've seen with flashcard controllers built in (gigabyte and... soltek, maybe?) seem to use different cabling for those, and now I might have to swap those flimsy backplates on a regular basis?

Never thought I'd say this, but bring back the slot1 P2! Remember how easy those were to assemble?

CougTek

Hairy Aussie
Groltz said:
If anyone is interested, this forum thread is 5 pages long now and features a user banishment.
I cannot say that that Daniel is a very open minded person. A few salty critics and the ban immediately arrives. Not a place for me. I would be too tempted to turn him to a donkey and make him ban me as it's probably the only way he could win an argument.