File Area Networking (FAN) - Data solutions

Status
Not open for further replies.

fixxxerdx

What is this storage?
I wanted to ask to see if anyone out there is familiar with File Area Networking (FAN) or an alternative way of organizing a mid size office network 200 users and growing? The company I work for is interested in changing the organization of the way that they manage their network files, from end users to executives to IT personnel, etc. I'm wondering if anyone knows what is actually required with File Area Networking to get it up and running on an already existing network with file servers in 2 different locations and other servers. We currently do not have a SAN and I've been looking at software such as Brocade as far as if FAN will work for us but I'm not sure of the cost and the ultimate goal we want to accomplish is to organize the network data and files in the most efficient, cost effective manner possible. What experience has anyone had with FAN? What is the minimum software required in order to get this going? Can we work with Linux to accomplish the task of using FAN without having to buy expensive software? What software advantages would be available through software such as Brocade, EMC, or an alternative. Currently our data is not organized and is scattered around various servers. We are thinking FAN may be the answer to growth and the ability to manage our existing data. Please let me know of any good information, personal experiences, alternatives, and any guidance within the network storage area.

Thanks! Dan

Status
Not open for further replies.