Firefox 57 and Legacy Addons

snowhiker

Storage Freak Apprentice
I'm currently running Firefox 56.0 (32-bit) and seven Addons.

-Adblock Plus.
-DownThenAll!
-Ghostery.
-Imagehost Grabber.
-NoScript.
-Video DownloadHelper.
-YouTube HTML5-Video.

All of them except Ghostery are tagged as legacy and will be blocked with Firefox 57. Any comments/suggestions on what you Firefox users are going to do with your installation of Firefox. Update to v57 and then find replacement Addons? Just give up your legacy extensions? Switch browsers?

Feelings on this update. Is it the right move for Mozilla to make? Curious to hear the comments from the Professional IT crowd here.

blakerwry

Storage? I am Storage!
Website
justblake.com
I'm a daily FF user, but I have no qualms switching to Chrome (which is already my browser of choice on MacOS and iOS). I'll just use the best overall software out there. Sometimes that means having multiple browsers installed or using a VM for specialized tasks. If it matters, the only extension I have installed currently is uBlock Origin (I do have two video plugins installed that I probably don't need). I'm impressed folks are still on 32bit FF as I had to move to 64bit years ago due to the memory requirements of FF in my daily browsing.

Stereodude

Not really a
Use Pale Moon or stick with v56 presuming the addons I use aren't updated?

I use greasemonkey, noscript and uBlock Origin.

snowhiker

Storage Freak Apprentice
A couple of my addons don't work correctly/like they used to when updated so I stopped updating them anyways. So I'll probably just not update FF past v56. I probably have to install another browser/plugins and test for functionality eventually anyways. I'll just kick the can down the road some more.

ddrueding

Fixture
I abandoned FF for Chrome about 8 months ago. I'm ok changing, but don't do it on a whim (too lazy). That was when I was finally tired of performance/stability issues.

sechs

Storage? I am Storage!
I switched to Chrome as well.

I've been using some version of Netscape since the betas with the pulsing N, so it wasn't a move that I took lightly. Unfortunately, it seems like Firefox has been lost in the woods for far too long.

I don't know how much longer I hold on to Thunderbird, since the devs don't seem clear on what they're doing going forward.

Chewy509

Wotty wot wot.
I've switched to Chromium (OSS version of Chrome) on my devices since like many others become unhappy with the direction FF was taking...

Still using Thunderbird, but considering it's mostly complete, I don't see much need for further development of it. And in some respects I'm happy that Mozilla have slowed development of it, so they don't fubar it up like they have with some of their other products.

Handruin

Administrator
Now that FF 57 is released, I'm enjoying it. Time will tell but so far the performance is noticeable for my usage. I don't run many plugins but the few I have are working so far.

timwhit

Hairy Aussie
Now that FF 57 is released, I'm enjoying it. Time will tell but so far the performance is noticeable for my usage. I don't run many plugins but the few I have are working so far.

I tried it for a couple hours today. It still doesn't feel as fast as Chrome to me on my 2015 MBP (16GB). Opening and closing tabs still feels slower.

Handruin

Administrator
I haven't used it much on my MBP to have anything to compare with. On my Windows system it feels very close to Chrome but there's no objective measurement in my opinion. I normally use FF at home and Chrome at work. Mostly because I never found FF on MBP to perform like I would want. FF 57 feels close to Chrome on the MBP though but I doubt I'll switch over at this point.

sedrosken

Florida Man
I enjoyed my brief time with FF57, it seems to be a nice tradeoff between Chromium and old Firefox for me in regards to RAM consumption vs multi-threading performance, but the severe lack of addons really bites. I mostly just use flashcontrol and ublock origin on Vivaldi here, though I do have some other addons I could probably live without. For now Vivaldi suits my needs the best, despite its insatiable hunger for my RAM, therefore Vivaldi is what I will be using for the forseeable future. I was going to use tab groups to substitute for Vivaldi's tab stacking feature but apparently it's not developed anymore. Until something similar pops up I have no desire to use FF57 for the longterm.

Tannin

Storage? I am Storage!
Website
www.redhill.net.au
Congratulations to the Firefox development team. This is exactly the right move to make, and looks set to complete the ambitious task they began four or five years ago. In just a few more years will be able to look back and admire their rapid, efficient, and effective campaign to achieve the complete destruction of the entire Firefox ecosystem as a popular and relevant product.

time

Storage? I am Storage!
Still using Thunderbird, but considering it's mostly complete, I don't see much need for further development of it. And in some respects I'm happy that Mozilla have slowed development of it, so they don't fubar it up like they have with some of their other products.

+1.

time

Storage? I am Storage!
Congratulations to the Firefox development team. This is exactly the right move to make, and looks set to complete the ambitious task they began four or five years ago. In just a few more years will be able to look back and admire their rapid, efficient, and effective campaign to achieve the complete destruction of the entire Firefox ecosystem as a popular and relevant product.

Hard to disagree. The whole Mozilla saga has done more to destroy the credibility of open source software than anything else that I can think of.

time

Storage? I am Storage!
I abandoned FF for Chrome about 8 months ago. I'm ok changing, but don't do it on a whim (too lazy). That was when I was finally tired of performance/stability issues.

Unfortunately, I've had problems with Chrome as well. The last straw was when I realized that it was stopping us using online banking (even with plugins disabled).

I've been desperate enough to try Vivaldi - which also has a couple of problems, but so far it's giving me less grief than Chrome.