FireFox v1.0.7 - something buggy

CityK

Storage Freak Apprentice
Either the latest version or the interaction of it with an extention is causing problems with some sites - example, navigating to the Bourse de Montreal crashes FF everytime. Same with some other sites....its quickly getting annoying ... hopefully the Moz people will figure it out, as they certainly have enough crash reports from me now!

mubs

Storage? I am Storage!
Doesn't look like FF 1.0.7. I went to the Bourse de Montreal site and clicked half-a-dozen links at random (page to next page, etc.) and it didn't crash. The extensions I run are:

Dom Inspector 1.0
ChromEdit 0.1.1.1
Tab Mix 0.2.2.3
netcrafttoolbar1.0.3.3

It also hasn't crashed on any of the regular sites I visit.

CityK

Storage Freak Apprentice
Thanks mubs. I have:

Adblock Plus 0.5.9.2
Target Alert 0.8.9.1
miniT (drag+indicator) 0.5
Tweak Network 1.1
Flashblock 1.3.2

I'll try and track down the culprit later on.

CityK

Storage Freak Apprentice
Nope. I spoke to soon - after entering the site from the original link it still crashes FF. I must have exited before the page had finished rendering all elements or whatever.

CougTek

Hairy Aussie
I have no extension installed and my vanilla Firefox 1.07 doesn't crash anywhere on the Bourse de Montréal site. Wrong culprit you have.

Handruin

Administrator
Works OK for me also with 1.0.7. I also tried from a bookmark, no difference.

extensions I run:

adblock v.5 d2 nightly 39
IE View 1.2.5
DictionarySearch 0.9.3
Web Developer 0.9.4
downTHEMall 0.9.4

timwhit

Hairy Aussie
Crashed for me. I am almost certain that it has something to do with Tabbrowser Extensions.

The only other extension I have running is Flashblock. This is a very recent install as I just installed a new OS.

timwhit

Hairy Aussie
I was just going through and a lot of the site I regulary visit do not have ads. I guess if I am doing a google search and I click on random links I will get a lot of ads, but you have to manually tell adblock what to block, correct?

mubs

Storage? I am Storage!
Tim, why are you still using TBE? Tab Mix is vastly superior and has no bugs (that I'm aware of). There's a "regular" one which I use, and another version on steroids. Just google Tabmix and you'll find both.

Merc, I used adblock in the early days of FF and decided it didn't do much for me.

timwhit

Hairy Aussie
Haven't try Tab Mix. I tried Tabbrowser Preferences and it did not have enough options. I guess I will try Tab Mix if TBE gives me anymore problems.

LOST6200

Storage is cool
Mercutio said:
How do you guys who don't have adblock live without it???

...cause I don't know what it is. I generally suurf with all images off, so the adverts are not shown.

Mercutio

Fatwah on Western Digital
I made a post about Filterset G a few months ago in the Toolbox section, but I will repeat it here, for it is a godly and righteous thing.

Step 1. Install Adblock.
Step 2. Visit http://www.pierceive.com.nyud.net:8090/filtersetg/ (I always hit the Coral cache instead of the regular page, which I've found isn't always on line).
Step 3. Find the filename with the most recent date (right now it's 2005-09-18a.txt)
Step 4. Right click and "copy link location" or save that file.
Step 5. In Firefox, click Tools, Adblock, preferences
Step 6. In the Adblock window, click Adblock options, Import Filters, paste in the file name or navigate to where you saved it, then click OK, OK or cancel (if you've filtered anything else, choose cancel) then Done.

Advertising is stripped out of almost everything, which makes visiting sites like yahoo.com and download.com a whole different experience.

To take it one step further, you can download the CustomizeGoogle extension, which wipes text ads from google search results as well.

LiamC

Storage Is My Life
Mercutio said:
How do you guys who don't have adblock live without it???

Adblock used to crash FireFox when I visisted TechReport. Same symptoms as CityK describes. Very occassionally it wouldn't. Uninstalled Adblock and crashes stopped. I'd rather put up with the ads than have the browser crash.

i

Wannabe Storage Freak
I won't install Adblock. It's simple: remove ads and you remove a revenue source from the content provider. As I visit websites I actually like (<--- this part must be a shock to Adblock proponents), I don't want to see them disappear any time soon. Nor do I want to do anything to increase the number of websites that insist on any sort of registration garbage or fee-based systems. I'll live with the ads, thanks. It's not like my brain hasn't learned to ignore the ads that don't interest me.

Mercutio

Sob.

I remember the earliest days of the web, when even corporate web sites (e.g. sgi.com) had cool stuff on them, and even early portal sites like Netscape's cool site of the day and yahoo.com were utterly devoid of ads. Web sites were about content, and not presentation, and it was marvelous (for a very long time, I prefered gopherspace, actually).

I listen to public radio. I *give* to public radio. Hell, I've *volunteered* for my local public radio station. Giving time and money works for me a lot better than trying to figure out how much influence advertisers have over the things that I really do enjoy.

But nowadays, I do everything I can to drop out of the land of corporate sponsorship. I don't wear clothes with labels on the outside. I skip commercials. I remaster DVDs to drop the commercials at the beginning that you can't fast-forward through. I walk into movies 15 minutes late and I *don't* look at advertising on web sites if I can help it. Someone wants to keep their web site alive, I'll donate to help out.

Doesn't it bother anyone else that there's advertising EVERYWHERE these days? At my local supermarket, there are floor tiles advertising Pepsi and Coke, and emblazoned on the shopping carts. Driving around Chicago, I think the only time you won't see an advertisement is if all the lights burned out on about five billboards in a row. My home town, Crown Point, Indiana, was the first place in the USA to sell advertising on its Police Cars, something that seemingly every community I visit is doing now.

timwhit

Hairy Aussie
I see trucks driving around downtown Chicago everyday that hold rotating billboards. This is the trucks only purpose. What a waste.

i

Wannabe Storage Freak
Note to self: never decide to live in Chicago.

Handruin

Administrator
Online gaming is now pushing advertising INTO the actual gameplay. There was an article in my PC gamer this month showing screen caps...thanks for reminding me of that adblock list Merc, I totally forgot.

Mercutio

In a way, that's not as offensive as some other places to put ads - a Pepsi machine in City of Heroes (CoH does have advertisements, for fictional companies like "Mighty Mart" and "City of Gyros", which are fun enough that when I first started playing I ran around looking for all of them) might not be out of place, nor all the crap they put on cars in racing games. I'd even give some credit to Everquest 2 for having the /pizza emote (which orders a pizza from pizza hut and charges it to the credit card used to pay for the game subscription).

On the other hand, there's a MMO FPS game call PlanetSide where med-kits are Sprite cans. I think that crosses a line.

Handruin

Administrator
I'm talking about billboards within games that rotate non-related ads. A pepsi machine isn't as big a deal to me in the given environment, nor do the fictitious ads you speak of. But the billboards over do it for me. I haven't personally seen them in a game I play, but I'm referring to the ones I read in the magazine.

CityK

Storage Freak Apprentice
Bill had it right -- it was Flashblock.

In the process of discovering this I also discovered that disabling Flahsblock through the extentions list (tools> extentions > select Flashblock > right click > Disable) doesn't work. You actually have to go through Flashblock's options (tools > extentions > select Flashblock > either hit the options button at the bottom or Right-click and select options > Enable/Disable Flashblock).

So, anyways, I uninstalled Flashblock and then updated to the alpha version 1.3.3 and everything works fine. So Tim, I would suggest the same for you if your running into a number of sites that crash the browser.

Previously, I had avoided updating to this newer version of Flashblock becasue of its alpha listed status and also for the fact that it wasn't clear to me if it was meant specifically for FF 1.5.

The previous Flashblock 1.3.2 had worked fine with FF 1.0.6. So, I guess as FF marches on, one is bound to run into problems with some extentions here and there, if they too don't follow pace.

CityK

Storage Freak Apprentice
Once again I have spoken too soon.

This morning, the same problems persist. I'm bewildered at how everything seemed to work fine with the new Flashblock 1.3.3 yesterday (and yes I'm well aware of the 2x FF re-launch requirement i.e. it was installed correctly) and why this morning it yeilds the same-old-same-old.

Uninstalling Flashblock has restored functionality.

PS. If your ever in need of testing flash, look no further then Anandtech ... holy flash crap batman, my cpu utilization is ~15-20%!