First experience with Vista

Adcadet

Storage Freak
So, my buddy and I recently spec'ed out new computers, and basically went with the same hardware. (new computer link: http://www.storageforum.net/forum/showthread.php?t=6186).

My buddy decided that he had to have Vista. Why, I don't know. But he's the type who buys Norton Whatever each year, and he bought Vista OneSupport (or whatever it's called) along with Vista. He didn't want to wait until May when our school would have gotten us a discount, or until Service Pack 1 comes out. No, he really wanted to pay $200 or whatever it is for the pretty box and the Latest and Greatest OS. I've gotten a variety of answers out of him as to why he wants to run Vista, which range from "because XP isn't available anymore" (ignores Newegg link I sent him), better for gaming (ignores reviews which show up to a 30% performance hit), to better support (just left me speechless).

Fine. Whatever. I've agreed to help him build the PC. The parts are nearly identical to what I recently built, so it was a pretty easy build. I was happy to help with the hardware side, but not too interested in the software side. If he wanted to install XP, at least that would be a known for me and quick. But he wanted to install Vista. What the heck, I might as well see Vista, right?

Well, first, the Out of the Box Experience (OBE). Vista comes in pretty packaging, but it's remarkably hard to open. It took the two of us, complete with scissors, knife, and a combined 16 years of post-secondary education to figure out how to open it. And we still end up actually breaking part of the plastic box. Well, he did, but I wasn't much help.

Next, the install of Vista. Now, the big difference between his computer and mine is that he has two identical 250GB Seagate drives vs. my more motley collection. We go into the format section of the install, which requires us to create the partitions and format them in 2-steps, but without a choice of what file format. Annoying, but no big deal. Except that no matter what we do, Windows says it can't find a partition to install on. WTF??? I mess around with it, and he googles the error message and finds out that Vista can't differentiate between two identical HDs, and thus you need to create partitions on one and then reboot the computer so it knows which is which. Strange, no big deal except for the complete lack of information in the error message. Why couldn't MS have just said so? Surely their engineers knew about this issue for months. Is it that hard to put that info in an error message?

Vista finally gets installed, which is actually surprizingly quick. My friend ran it on a freebe 17" CRT, so it looked like crap. It also felt like it ran slow, which is odd considering that this was on a new Core 2 Duo system with 2 GB of RAM. Navigating around is a challenge at first, and it's very annoying to have to click "allow" each time you try to run an application.

So today I talked with him, after he apparently screwed up his OS after overclocking his computer and letting it run two copies of Prime 95 overnight. I again asked him why he was going with Vista, since he does have access to XP: to save money, since he'll upgrade to Vista eventually (never mind that he's about to go from paying ~30K/year for school to getting paid ~40K, with significant raises each year).

So, I'm staying the hell away from Vista until at least SP1. Maybe by then it will work almost as well as XP.

RWIndiana

Learning Storage Performance
Unfortunately, Vista appears to be doing well so far. It's amazing how many people are just giddy about upgrading. Sheesh.

Tannin

Storage? I am Storage!
Website
www.redhill.net.au
Why don't you get him to try my Vista simulator. It's really easy to install, and works better than the real thing. Here is what you do:

• Start with your choice of Windows XP or Windows 2000.
  • Download some really ugly wallpaper. If it glows in the dark, you are getting close.
  • Go to the control panel. Turn on absolutely everything!
  • Make the fonts really big. Move all the windows around so nothing is where you expect it.
  • Downgrade your CPU and video card, and remove about 2GB of RAM from the system.

Please remember that my Vista simulator is only a simulator and not quite the real thing: if you want an ever better Vista simulation, you will need to downgrade your hard drive a bit too, and figure out a way to make the system run a bit slower. Loading Norton would nearly do it. If in doubt, load Mcafee as well.

Adcadet

Storage Freak
For the Vista Simulator, may I suggest running a browser with a ton of pop up adds to try to recreate the sensation of having to click "yes, I really want to do what I just told you to do" (or whatever MS labels it now).

Adcadet

Storage Freak
For the Vista Simulator, may I suggest running a browser with a ton of pop up adds to try to recreate the sensation of having to click "yes, I really want to do what I just told you to do" (or whatever MS labels it now).

Tannin

Storage? I am Storage!
Website
www.redhill.net.au
My man just bit the bullet. He was running XP on an Athlon XP 3000, 512MB, 120GB, Gforce FX5700 AGP. Ran just fine. All he ever does is surf a little.

Against my advice, he bought a retail copy of Vista Home Premium down the road at Hardly Normals, asked me to install it. So I plugged in go-faster bits: 2GB of DDR and a 300GB hard drive (not sure why he wanted the drive, but there you go). Best part of $600. Plus the $400 for Vista.

Took it home, tried it out, came back this week, wanted it to go faster.

So today I reformatted the 300GB drive, reinstalled, and added a new main board, Athlon 64 5000 dual core, swaped the DDR for DDR-2, and a Gforce 7900. Oh. and a heavy-duty power supply to run it all. Not far off $900. Plus the $600-odd he'd already spent, plus the $400+ for Vista.

Net result: he's spent the best part of two grand and his system isn't any faster than it was before he started. Slower, in fact.

Oh, and now for the kicker: there are no Vista drivers for the you-beaut multi-channel sound card on the new main board. No sound at all. So in the end I gave him a Sound Blaster PCI I'd salvaged out of an old K6-2/500. That works under Vista.

What a crock .....

P5-133XL

Xmas '97
All I can say, is that on the one machine I've installed Vista on it is slow as a slug. It is outright painfull to run it on a 3.2GHz P4 with 512MB of ram. The pauses whenever I delete or open a file drives me crazy.

ddrueding

Fixture
The one machine I have it running on outside of a VM is actually quite nice. Granted it is a Centrino Duo @ 1.6Ghz with a Gig of RAM and a 100GB 5400RPM hard drive, and it's a laptop so my expectations were low, but it scores a 3.1 on the "Windows Experience Index" (limited by the Intel Graphics). I have everything turned on and it really isn't bad. I removed all the MS crap from the startup and it made quite a difference (~300MB of RAM at desktop). This laptop also has an XD card reader built-in so that the card isn't protruding when inserted, I'm going to give that cache-thingy a try when I can buy a card...

P5-133XL

Xmas '97
I actually tried the USB Flash-RAM cashing, but unfortunately, all the ones I own are slow (I've been buying them on the cheap) and Vista says that are not capable ...

Clocker

Storage? I am Storage!
All I can say, is that on the one machine I've installed Vista on it is slow as a slug. It is outright painfull to run it on a 3.2GHz P4 with 512MB of ram. The pauses whenever I delete or open a file drives me crazy.

Everything I've read says 1GB is basically the min. RAM you should have to run Vista and it makes a big difference bumping up from 512MB. 2GB is much much better as well from what I have read.

ddrueding

Fixture
Looks like ReadyBoost is very picky. An Olympus 2GB xD card inserted into the built-in card reader "does not have the required performance characteristics for use in speeding up your system."

CougTek

Hairy Aussie
Vista is a ripoff. I try to convince all my customers that buying Vista is throwing money out the window (I've found my new sig!). Those who don't listen, I add 150$ to the price of the system I quote them, so that they don't buy it from me. I try to avoid having stubborn morons in my customers poll.

Bozo

Storage? I am Storage!
"Buying Vista is throwing money out the window"

Should read: Buying Vista is throwing money out the Windows

Bozo :joker:

Santilli

Hairy Aussie
Well, it insures you will have hardware jobs for another 5-10 years.;-)

How long before MSFT makes sure you HAVE to upgrade?

Myself, I'll be selling my XP lic. and, go back to 2003 server, at least on this machine. Don't know about the gaming machine, but, the stuff posted seems to really help...

GS