Folding@Home

Tea

Storage? I am Storage!
Website
www.redhill.net.au
I don't suppose we could use imaginary CPUs? I have as many of those as you like. Failing that, I guess we will just have to settle for some imaginary results. Want me to create a hacked image of the resuts page, Coug? Not only will that put us in ... oh ... how about 4th place overall .. it wil give you a chance to pass Cliptin again. :)

Jake the Dog

Storage is cool
sorry to all on the team but I'm soon going to be hanging up my Folding gloves for an indefinite amount of time, perhaps for good. best of luck to the team.

cheers.

Clocker

Storage? I am Storage!
Jake the Dog said:
sorry to all on the team but I'm soon going to be hanging up my Folding gloves for an indefinite amount of time, perhaps for good. best of luck to the team.

cheers.

May I ask why?

C

Jake the Dog

Storage is cool
a few reasons but these mostly. Like many of the SF participants, I've lost interest in Folding in general and secondly, I'm selling off my main folding CPU, my overclocked Athlon and going moving to the new 800MHz FSB P4's.

Clocker

Storage? I am Storage!
That's cool. Thanks for your participation! Sad to see you leave the team....although with the hot weather coming I may stop folding for a while too. :(

Groltz

My demeaning user rank is
It looks like we've acquired a new folder.

I noticed the roster increased from 65 to 66 but can't pinpoint who the new person is.

SteveC

Storage is cool
I just realized I forgot to install F@H after I upgraded my system, so I haven't been folding for the past week and a half. :oops:

CougTek

Hairy Aussie
New protein p346_gnra_nat_Mg on Gromacs has been processing for more than two days on my 1700+ Athlon XP...and it's still going. I'm at step 80 out of 100. So overall, that nasty unit will have taken two days and a half of my most powerful box time. I hope it will pay, point wise.

Groltz

My demeaning user rank is
Mercutio said:
... and if you want to get really competitive, I can always ramp up 40 or so more K6-2/P3 class systems. :p

Well, let's see it, laughing boy. I'm sick of waiting. :wink: :mrgrn:

Mercutio

Fatwah on Western Digital
The problem I end up having - I actually HAVE distributed the client to my classroom PCs - is that they aren't left on and idle very often.
I work with some real anal-retentives - people who get upset when printers and monitors are left in standby mode.
The classroom machines get turned on, used, then shut off. :(

Jake the Dog

Storage is cool
congrats and well doen to the following for recently reaching some significant point milestones:

SteveC - 4,000
Mercutio - 5,000
blakerwry - 5,000

blakerwry

Storage? I am Storage!
Website
justblake.com
wow, cool!

I haven't been folding as much now since summer is on and temps are getting higher, so neither my 2GHz celery or my athlonXP has been folding.. and my duron 1.3 broke (chipped the CPU trying to remove a stubborn HSF clip). So now all I've got is my pentium III.

Hopefully I'll get an athlonXP replacement for the duron soon and will be back folding w/ some power.

zx

Learning Storage Performance
Ok, some good news, some bad news...

The bad, is that my Athlon TBird 1333 will not be folding anymore. I sold this machine to my sister.

The good, is that my new dual athlon MP 2600 will be folding instead! I have two instances of folding running to harness the power of both processors.

I have a question. Is it necessary to assign each F@H instance to it's own processor? Also, how can I make a program start up with specific options (CPU assignment, priority...).

Thanks.

CougTek

Hairy Aussie
zx said:
The bad, is that my Athlon TBird 1333 will not be folding anymore. I sold this machine to my sister.
Why?

Can't you just setup the client as a service and let it run seemlessly in background? She'll never notice. The only thing she has to have is an internet connection (and you to setup the client so that it doesn't dial-up automatically, or else she'll be annoyed).

Clocker

Storage? I am Storage!
zx said:
Ok, some good news, some bad news...

The good, is that my new dual athlon MP 2600 will be folding instead! I have two instances of folding running to harness the power of both processors.

I have a question. Is it necessary to assign each F@H instance to it's own processor? Also, how can I make a program start up with specific options (CPU assignment, priority...).

Use Firedaemon. Just run two instances as separate services and there are no other affinity issues or anything like that. I did it for a long time with my DUal Athlon system and it was perfect.

C

Pradeep

Storage? I am Storage!
zx said:

Thanks.

If you aren't running as a service, then just start up two instances, win2k/XP etc will assign one client to each CPU. Setting affinity has no real advantage in performance, and you would have to set it each time you started the FAH client.

I have noticed however when running four instances, that sometimes one client would get 50% of total cpu power, and the others would get ~16% each. Strange.

What mobo are you running those MP2600's on?

zx

CougTek said:
zx said:
Why?

Can't you just setup the client as a service and let it run seemlessly in background? She'll never notice. The only thing she has to have is an internet connection (and you to setup the client so that it doesn't dial-up automatically, or else she'll be annoyed).

She noticed. And for some strange reason, asked me to desinstall it... :(

zx

Pradeep said:
zx said:

Thanks.

If you aren't running as a service, then just start up two instances, win2k/XP etc will assign one client to each CPU. Setting affinity has no real advantage in performance, and you would have to set it each time you started the FAH client.

I have noticed however when running four instances, that sometimes one client would get 50% of total cpu power, and the others would get ~16% each. Strange.

What mobo are you running those MP2600's on?

Tyan Tiger MPX. Very good setup by the way. Very happy about it.

Yesterday, there were wierd problems with F@H because I had a graphical client and a console client. I was having 100% on one CPU and 70% on the other. I dropped the graphical client for another console, and it seems to work fine.

blakerwry

Storage? I am Storage!
Website
justblake.com
zx said:
CougTek said:
zx said:
Why?

She noticed. And for some strange reason, asked me to desinstall it... :(

How did she notice? what OS, what client?

Personally, I have not had a single problem running the console version as a service. I have, however, had openGL/vid card problems running the graphical client on several computers.

blakerwry

Storage? I am Storage!
Website
justblake.com
zx said:
It was the graphical client on windows 2000. How do you install it as a service?

google serach for this: firedaemon folding

There will be a guide that will easily show you how to setup the folding@home client to start as a service. Use the console only client and you'll never see a hint of it running unless you look in the task manager.

You could also do this via the registry, for win9x:
1) Create a new string value under Local machine-> Software -> Microsoft -> Windows -> Current version -> RunServices.

2) Name that key F@H, the value of that string should be the path to the folding client executable (ex: C:\Program Files\Folding@Home\winfah.exe)

For winNT it's similar, but i'd just recomend using firedaemon.

Fushigi

Storage Is My Life
Did they change the weighting for points? It seems my points/week on the Statsman page is a bit higher than it has averaged in recent weeks. I haven't altered my folding farm.

- Fushigi

Prof.Wizard

Wannabe Storage Freak
One of the reasons I like so much Folding@home is that it is working on maladies seen on my field of medical interest: Neuroscience! :brilsmurf:

I think I'm getting more results in both F@h and UD Grid if I run them alone in alternate days than both at the same time, although I've noticed they balance CPU's workload at 50-50%. Is this possible? (haven't actually stopwatch-ed it)

zx

Hummm.

My production went down these last days. I finally know why. Sometimes, an explorer.exe process was taking 100% of CPU ressources for no reason. I've reformatted and I guess it will solve the problem (my computer was so buggy :S )

CougTek

Hairy Aussie
Damn Cocker. Every time I close up the gap separating us sufficiently to let me dream I'll be able to overcome him, he explodes for a few weeks to widen the distance once again. I'm starting to wonder if he does this only to piss me.

Clocker

Storage? I am Storage!
LOL Coug. I have been watching you. :)

However, I have this boost because I've fired up my two basement system(s) again and have an Nforce2 400/400 AthlonXP2400+ system I've built as a gift that I'm 'burning' in :roll: right now.

You will be catching up again with me soon enough when I shut it down...

That Aopen AK79D-400VN Nforce2 Ultra is SWEET by the way...and only $82.

CougTek

Hairy Aussie
Clocker said:
That Aopen AK79D-400VN Nforce2 Ultra is SWEET by the way...and only $82.
And is only 82$...and only 82$...and 82$ with free shipping...and free shipping only to US...so it's not 82$ elsewhere...more like 95$ elsewhere...but you have to let me know that you can have it for 82$ where you are...and nanana and nanana. I hate Americans with their free shipping.

Howell

Storage? I am Storage!
Jake the Dog said:

cheers.

What. Are you waiting until you pass me first? Should be less than a week now.