Folding@Home

P5-133XL

Xmas '97
New clients have been released: All the beta clients expire Oct.1st. So everyone running a beta client needs to be getting them.

Of note, Stanford has released new v6 beta clients for OSX, Linux, GPU, Windows CPU (not SMP).

For Windows SMP. I suggest, the following process: Shutting down folding. Getting the v5 console client. run it and tell it to install to a new directory/folder and then just taking the fah.exe file and replacing the old one with it (Do not run the install.bat). Then you can start up folding again. There is no signifigent change other than a new expiration date.

The above process will most likely prevent issues with killing the current WU or the killing current folding install. It's also simpler than uninstalling and re-installing ...

e_dawg

Storage Freak
I'm also getting this message. Tried "Use Internet Explorer Settings = Yes" as well. Still doesn't work. Any thoughts?

Code:
# SMP Client ##################################################################
###############################################################################

Folding@Home Client Version 5.91beta5

http://folding.stanford.edu

Launch directory: C:\Program Files\Folding@Home Windows SMP Client V1.01
Executable: fah

[04:38:02] - Ask before connecting: No
[04:38:02] - User name: e_dawg (Team 10047)
[04:38:02] - User ID: 1DEE97F962602509
[04:38:02] - Machine ID: 1
[04:38:02] 
[04:38:02] Loaded queue successfully.
[04:38:02] - Preparing to get new work unit...
[04:38:02] + Attempting to get work packet
[04:38:02] - Connecting to assignment server
[04:38:03] - Successful: assigned to (0.0.0.0).
[04:38:03] + News From Folding@Home: Welcome to Folding@Home
[04:38:03] Work Unit has an invalid address.
[04:38:03] - Error: Attempt #1  to get work failed, and no other work to do.
             Waiting before retry.
[04:38:15] + Attempting to get work packet
[04:38:15] - Connecting to assignment server
[04:38:16] - Successful: assigned to (0.0.0.0).
[04:38:16] + News From Folding@Home: Welcome to Folding@Home
[04:38:16] Work Unit has an invalid address.
[04:38:16] - Error: Attempt #2  to get work failed, and no other work to do.
             Waiting before retry.

LiamC

Storage Is My Life
[04:38:03] - Successful: assigned to (0.0.0.0).

[/code]

Usually means that the server on Stanfords end is on the blink. I think the most I've had to wait was 12 hours for them to fix it.

I also found that shutting down the client and restarting it helped–the client seems a little slow to sort itself out

Fushigi

Storage Is My Life
The 6.0 Beta Windows 1 client seems to conflict with the GPU client. If either is running the other won't start - it says the client is already running.

BTW some time ago I started having issues running the SMP client - it wouldn't start up reliably - so right now my main rig with the C2Q is running 4 of the 5.04 Consoles. Each from a separate directory and with separate machine numbers, of course. I may check in to moving back to the SMP client sometime but for now this will have to do. My other C2Q is running the SMP client; I'm pondering getting a suitable graphics card so I can add the GPU client to it as well.

The rest of my Folding farm is made up of 3 Athlons (2600-2800), a P4M 1.6 and a PentiumM 2.0. I'm hoping to replace 2 of the Athlons with another C2Q early next year and the P4M should soon be retired & replaced with a C2D T7700 when I get my new work laptop.

P5-133XL

Xmas '97
I know that the v6 beta1 SMP and the GPU console clients will both operate together on the same machine because my quad is configured that way.

It really shouldn't be any different than running multiple CPU clients: Make sure that all the clients have different machine ID's; run from different folders; and have a single starting method. For me, to prevent accidental configuring, I have each client run from a different sub-folder off the main F@H folder. To prevent machine ID conflicts I also have a machine ID numbering pattern for all my machines with #1 and #2 for CPU clients, #3 for SMP clients, #4 for GPU clients. now, that won't work for you because you have 4 CPU clients but now that the numbers can go up to 16 try 1-8 CPU; 9-12 SMP; and 13-16 GPU or some other consistent pattern. Also, I consistently, startup all my folding clients from the startup folder, even if I am manually starting them up: That way, I never run into a shortcut becoming out-of-date and, of course, they auto-startup when the machine powers-up.

Do note that v6 clients do not work well running as a service.

Fushigi

Storage Is My Life
I went into the GPU Configuration panel & didn't see aplace to specify machine ID. My Consoles are machines 1-4; I'll maybe move them to 5-8 & re-try the V6 beta.

Bozo

Storage? I am Storage!
I was having trouble with the SMP program also. I ran the standard F@H client for a while.
Actually, I'm a little dissapointed with the output. Could someone recomend a setup for a C2D with 4GB of RAM

Bozo :joker:

P5-133XL

Xmas '97
I went into the GPU Configuration panel & didn't see aplace to specify machine ID. My Consoles are machines 1-4; I'll maybe move them to 5-8 & re-try the V6 beta.

If you look at the FAHlog.txt for each client, it will list the machine ID when the client is started (at least it does for my clients running -verbosity 9). That may help identifying machine ID conflicts.

As a simple test for compatibility, simply disable the CPU client with the machine ID of 1 (the default for the GPU client). For maximum performance, you should only be running 3 CPU clients with the GPU anyway ...

Are you using the GUI or the console version of the GPU? I've been using the console version and the machine ID is in the advanced section, just like the SMP and the CPU clients. I much prefer the console versions of all the clients compared to the GUI versions because unfortunately there always seems to be issues with the GUI.

If you can get the CPU's to coexist with the GPU, then the next step is the replacing the CPU clients with a single SMP client. With the SMP + GPU configuration, the best you can do is give the GPU additional priority (low vs. idle). The priority setting is also in the advanced configuration area.

P5-133XL

Xmas '97
I was having trouble with the SMP program also. I ran the standard F@H client for a while.
Actually, I'm a little dissapointed with the output. Could someone recomend a setup for a C2D with 4GB of RAM

As far as configuration, there really shouldn't be any issues with the default configuration without a complicating factor such as Fushi's extra conflicting client.

I thought we had fixed your earlier problems... Since it obviously didn't work, lets start over. What specifically, happens when it fails?

Bozo

Storage? I am Storage!
It hasn't failed in about a week. I did migrate to XP x64 just before that. The second computer is running Server 2008 / Vista ultimate with SP1. It seems to run slow on the second computer. Both are C2D at ~3.1GHz with 4GB of RAM
I'm not going to fool with it as both seem to be working at the moment.

P5-133XL

Xmas '97
By the way the amount of ram doesn't really matter, performance-wise: F@H doesn't really tend be a giagantic RAM user. It is the cache on the chip that seems to make a big difference.

There are numerous possible reasons that it would be running slow. The first and most important, is there something else running that is taking CPU time away from folding. Next, would be RAM settings: Different machines with the same exact CPU, may have faster or slower RAM and that can make a significant difference.

I thought Server 2008 was only in beta/RC. If you are running 2008 as a VM, then the VM will always be sucking cycles from the CPU. If it is a dual-boot, then the inoperative OS, won't really matter.

Bozo

Storage? I am Storage!
Yes 2008 is in Beta. It is a dual boot. I was running Vista as a virtual machine for a while. It didn't seem to make any difference in folding results.

Fushigi

Storage Is My Life
On my Vista C2Q, task manager reports 2 of my Core_79 jobs at 250MB each; the 3rd is 27MB. Core_10 is at 184MB. GPU-GUI is another 32MB and Core_78 is small at just 14MB. 730MB for 5 jobs.

Fushigi

Storage Is My Life
As noted in the For Sale thread I picked up another C2Q the other day. The machine is built and is running Kubuntu 7.1. I've downloaded the V6 Linux beta client (and have also tried the 5.04 client) but can't get the durned thing to run. I think there's a path or permissions issue. As noted on the Linux FAQ I did the chmod +x to fah6 but when I try to run it bash complains with something like "bash: ./fah6: No such file or directory" even though I'm trying to run ./fah6 from the directory where fah6 is located. Ditto if I try fah6 w/o the ./ and ditto for FAH504-Linux.exe.

I admit to being a Linux n00b but would like to bring this system up to replace an aging Athlon that ran W2K and I'd rather not muck with (read: pay for) XP or Vista this time around. I'm annoyed that Linux won't run an executable that's in the working directory.

I'm open to suggestions or links to appropriate discussion boards.

P5-133XL

Xmas '97
You will need to DL and install the 32 bit compatibility libraries. While the SMP F@H core's are 64 bit, the clients are not. I'd supply you with a link, but the F@H forums are down. Try googling for them.

Try the following command:

sudo apt-get install ia32-libs

Fushigi

Storage Is My Life
Many thanks; that seems to have done the trick. It's configured & running although it seems to only be using about 70-75% CPU at the moment. I'll check back on it in a little while.

That get for the 32-bit libs is either not in the doc or needs to be made much more obvious. I certainly missed it.

Pradeep

Storage? I am Storage!
The program link is included in the PS3 menus, it downloads and updates itself, seeems like about 7.5 hours per work unit. You can set it to run automatically when the PS3 is idle.

The JoJo

Wannabe Storage Freak
Website
www.thejojo.com
Hi everyone!

Just upgraded to a C2D 6750, Asus P5K motherboard, 4GB DDR2 800 Memory (not stable with 4x1GB at 800, so now running with a 366 bus speed, slight OC).

Back at the folding game, let's see how I manage now with this host. Running two instances of 6.01 client.

I haven't read the posts here yet, but I'll ask anyway, is there anything I need to "tweak" in the client etc to get max performance?

Bozo

Storage? I am Storage!
You might want to run the SMP version on your new dual core. You should get better results.

Fushigi

Storage Is My Life
Got my new laptop from work. Dell Latitude D830 with all the bells & whistles* including a C2D T7800 (2.6GHz, 4MB L2 cache). It's now running the SMP client. The new machine technically replaces my 2GHz PentiumM but I will likely keep it running and decommission an older P4M 1.6 as it's pretty slow and likes to SpeedStep down to 1.2GHz at random intervals.

*Besides the CPU it has 4GB RAM, 120GB 7200 RPM disk, 128MB nVidia Quadro graphics, and other fun stuff like a fingerprint reader and second battery that fits in the DVD bay. And outside the system is an UltraSharp 2407WFP as a second display.

LiamC

Storage Is My Life
Check your beta's people (SMP, GPU, console). v6 Beta 1 expired. Download the Beta2's from Stanford

Fushigi

Storage Is My Life
From 6-25-07:
Not to blow my own horn but I passed a million points over the weekend.
2 million points. :king: So a million points in a little under 8 months. But I'm feeling a little electric bill strain so I may shut down an older machine.

Fushigi

Storage Is My Life
My GPU folding has been down for a few days. Since my last reboot the beta expired & the new one doesn't run for some reason. I'll try to troubleshoot it soon but my point production will be down until I get to it.

Also, my sister's PC died so I'll be taking an Athlon XP 2800 (OC'ed 1700) offline to give to her. No replacement is planned, although if my wife's PC doesn't stop being flaky I may rebuild it.

P5-133XL

Xmas '97
As of Feb 1'st the Beta GPU client expired (Actually all the beta's expired): Possibly, you just need to update.

Fushigi

Storage Is My Life
The client didn't expire until I rebooted. I suspect ending/restarting the client would do the same. Anyway I start the FAH6.01beta3-Win-GPU-Console and Vista complains & shuts it down. The Details box says:
Problem signature:
Problem Event Name: APPCRASH
Application Name: fah6-win-gpu-console.exe
Application Version: 0.0.0.0
Application Timestamp: 47a9fe0a
Fault Module Name: ntdll.dll
Fault Module Version: 6.0.6000.16386
Fault Module Timestamp: 4549bdf8
Exception Code: c0000005
Exception Offset: 0002b950
OS Version: 6.0.6000.2.0.0.256.1
Locale ID: 1033
Additional Information 1: ce51
Additional Information 2: d15a4aabf8078c42c991cb4b9932ba0d
Additional Information 3: e427
Additional Information 4: b5715e0373941e745fb26fecea08b8e3

The actual GPU GUI client listed on the download page still says 5.91beta6 and is expired. That's the one I had been running before.

P5-133XL

Xmas '97
Expiring when rebooted, is the expected behavior.

All the 5.91 clients are expired...

I'm using FAH6.01beta2-Win-GPU-Console and it is working for me.

Fushigi

Storage Is My Life
beta2? beta3 was what I was trying to get to work and was what I downloaded (again) just a couple of hours ago. Now beta4 is listed. Interesting that this is a 'console' GPU folder where before it ran as an icon in the system tray.

beta4 is still crashing:
Problem signature:
Problem Event Name: APPCRASH
Application Name: fah6-win-gpu-console.exe
Application Version: 0.0.0.0
Application Timestamp: 47bc89bb
Fault Module Name: fah6-win-gpu-console.exe
Fault Module Version: 0.0.0.0
Fault Module Timestamp: 47bc89bb
Exception Code: c0000005
Exception Offset: 00025a9c
OS Version: 6.0.6000.2.0.0.256.1
Locale ID: 1033
Additional Information 1: 8d13
Additional Information 2: cdca9b1d21d12b77d84f02df48e34311
Additional Information 3: 8d13
Additional Information 4: cdca9b1d21d12b77d84f02df48e34311

P5-133XL

Xmas '97
The GUI version has a system tray icon, the console version runs off the taskbar. I wonder if you were running the GUI version before and now you have a mixed version?

May I suggest that you post your error in the F@H forums: there are people there that know far more than I.

Fushigi

Storage Is My Life
I was running GPU 5.91b6 - "Windows NT/2000/XP/Vista GPU Client GUI version" - but it expired. As of now there is no replacement. Stanford is still showing 5.91b6 on the site & if you d/l and run it the program will say it is expired. I don't know why it hasn't been removed or at least had the d/l link disabled.

So, to use my GPU capabilities I was trying to get "Windows NT/2000/XP/Vista GPU Client console version (with multi-GPU support)" 6.01b3 and later 6.01b4 to run. They fail.

P5-133XL

Xmas '97
I suspect that to get the console versions to run, you need to first totally uninstall the GUI version using add-and-remove-programs and you are running into conflicts having both on your system at the same time. I'm not sure, in that I've actually never run the GUI version...

One quick fix that may help, remove the console versions (those you can simply delete); change the date back to before Feb 1st 2008; and start up the old GUI client. Once running, you can change the date back to the current date and the GUI should continue working till it is restarted: It only checks the expire-date when started.

Stanford has been having issues with the GUI versions of the clients, so they are not yet avail. Why they keep the links to the expired versions, I don't know but it does seem to be rather dumb.

Fushigi

Storage Is My Life
The old SMP version was installed but not being used (I'm running 4xthe 5.04 console instead) so I uninstalled it. The 5.91b6 GPU client is like the regular console versions; no installer/uninstaller so just run the program. Anyway removing the old SMP version didn't change things so I'm doing your date-change cheat. :)

I don't show the GUI - I'm more interested in points than pictures - so console mode versions are fine by me. I like the 5.91b6 GPU system-tray icon approach. Very simple & no clutter. I hope they bring it back soon.

Bozo

Storage? I am Storage!
I wasn't able to install the SMP client version until I installed Dot-Net. Strange coincicence???