Folding@Home

Pradeep

Storage? I am Storage!
A 9 hour outage is too long for me. We might sag voltage once every few months, but you can pretty much depend on the power (unless an ice storm comes through, and then it could be days before you get the juice back on).

ddrueding

Fixture
The only power outage I've had to endure for more than an hour was in 1989 from the Loma Prieta earthquake. That lasted about 3 days ;)

Oh, and I forgot to pay the power bill once...

Onomatopoeic

Learning Storage Performance
PS: If any of you recently experienced a sudden a gust of wind and a flash of light as you folded along the F@H raceway, that was probably a F@H user named "Burn_In" blowing your doors off.

How about looking at Inpharm or Inpharm with his 152 processors. He just started 10/06 or just 4 months ago to get 12 million points. He's generating 144,000 points per day or over 1 million a week. At my current rate, it will take me a little less than a year to produce 1 million points. To consistantly average 1000 PPD per processor he must be running most of those processors as Linux 64 bit SMP clients.

Burn_In was just the individual that was racing past more people than anyone else that week. He's sorta slowed down a bit since -- but not much.

As for Inpharm, below is a picture of his famous racks. Incredibly, his servers are based on the "old" last-generation Dempsey Pentium4 Xeon dual-core microprocessor, not the significantly faster Core2 microprocessor family (Woodcrest, Conroe).

attachment.php

CougTek

Hairy Aussie
That f*ck'N SMP client for Windows is constantly freezing. I've lost at least 21 hours worth of computing AGAIN because the mother f**ker froze when I wasn't there to check it. That machine isn't the cause. It has been folding for months before without errors.

I'm en Ostie d'Calice de Tabarnack! (pissed) They better fix their POS software soon or I'll send my free computing cycles to someone else. Calvert!

P5-133XL

Xmas '97
That f*ck'N SMP client for Windows is constantly freezing. I've lost at least 21 hours worth of computing AGAIN because the mother f**ker froze when I wasn't there to check it. That machine isn't the cause. It has been folding for months before without errors.

I'm en Ostie d'Calice de Tabarnack! (pissed) They better fix their POS software soon or I'll send my free computing cycles to someone else. Calvert!

That's peculiar, because I have yet to have a machine freeze since I've been running the SMP client ...

My biggest complaint, for the Windows SMP client, is that the deadlines are too close to failure on my machine resulting in the occasional not finishing in time and the resulting total waste of time ...

You can always switch back to the standard CPU client, since that doesn't cause failures.

CougTek

Hairy Aussie
It's perfectly normal for two separated instances under Winblows. However, in order to maximize your FAH production, you could run the FAH SMP client under a 64bit Linux installation. Your stats would double.

CougTek

Hairy Aussie
Among the team with a higher score than ours, 20 are producing less than we do. However, in our back, 77 teams are outproducing us (I stopped looking past the team ranked 2000th). The fartest team to beat us in weekly output is currently 1352nd (guru3d). 27 of our challengers are making twice our production.

The recent PS3 teams arrival really hurt our ranking. The Quad cores price drop will be good, but others will buy them too, so it won't help us much and even if we had the Quad cores monopoly, it wouldn't move us in front of the PS3 teams.

Any hope of climbing back into the top-100 seems to have vanished.

CougTek

Hairy Aussie
I lost 20 hours of folding on one of my systems because it couldn't connect to the assigment server, althought the internet connection was fine and despite restarting the client several times.

This isn't the first time. Steam was starting to get out of my ears when it finally received a work unit.

Fushigi

Storage Is My Life
Well, with everything in place on the new box my points per day should start increasing. I had to install the DX9 runtimes to get the GPU client running.

I will have to take an older PC (P3/700) off-line to compensate for the increase in power consumption. Likewise after the C2Q price drop in July I'll probably replace another slow box with a C2Q to up my production even more.

CougTek

Hairy Aussie
It's nice to see your contribution increase. However, Fbostrom seems to experience difficulties of some sort this week. His production is about two and a half times lower than it was up to last week.

CougTek

Hairy Aussie
Anyone else has problems with unit 2652? I can complete other units without issue, but the 2652 always fail after 7 steps. This is the cause of my recent drop in points.

P5-133XL

Xmas '97
Sorry, but I couldn't find one in any the FAHlog's on any of my machines. Since, if is failing in the same place, check to see if it isn't the exact same WU (Run, Clone, Gen) repeatedly being given to you.

LiamC

Storage Is My Life
Anyone else has problems with unit 2652? I can complete other units without issue, but the 2652 always fail after 7 steps. This is the cause of my recent drop in points.

Funny you should say that. I had three fail in quick succession, all at the 7% complete mark, and then one completed successfully. It was on an o/ced machine so I thought instability. But the same machine has completed nine days straight folding with other WUs including a 2652, so maybe not. I suspect its a dodgy new unit.

LiamC

Storage Is My Life
Hey, at least it craps out at 7%. I did a 2610 that abended at 98%, for no credit. That was a a waste of time...

CougTek

Hairy Aussie
I noticed it when you were just shy of the million. I forgot to follow your progress afterward. Congratulations.

LiamC will join you in the seven figures soon too.

P5-133XL

Xmas '97
Important Warning: All the Beta SMP clients have been updated, be it Windows SMP, Linux SMP, or MAC SMP, and are all going to time-bomb July 1st 2007.

So all of you need to update your clients from Stanford

CougTek

Hairy Aussie
Thanks to Vista, I've lost two days of SMP folding on my most powerful computer. I transfered the system to a new enclosure (went from a Thermaltake Swing chassis to an Arctic Cooling Silentium T2 Pro). All the internal components stayed the same and were plug exactly the same. The bug-ridden OS first refused to reconnect to my local network. Asking for a new IP address several times didn't work. I moved the box so I could connect it straight to my router. Internet connection worked.

Twelves hours later, my FAH unit finished, but halted. I came back home several hours later, saw this, closed the FAH client and then reopened it. The client still couldn't connect to the internet (Vista somehow blocked it, despite UAC being disabled) and told me that current (completed and unsent) work unit was invalid. Flushing current work and restarting...

I bent and broke my Vista DVD, then grind the remaining two parts.

I'm in the process of finishing to configure XP on that system and cure it from the Vista disease that I let it waste this fine computer for too long. I wish all Microsoft managers who "contributed" to Vista to catch the Black Death and fall to it.

Fushigi

Storage Is My Life
Important Warning: All the Beta SMP clients have been updated, be it Windows SMP, Linux SMP, or MAC SMP, and are all going to time-bomb July 1st 2007.

And in case anyone else runs in to this, on my workstation I had to uninstall the old client before installing the new. Otherwise I was stuck with "CoreStatus = 63 (99)" messages and the client would terminate.

I didn't notice until I had to reboot to finish applying some Vista updates.

P5-133XL

Xmas '97
What I would recommend is to shut down folding temporarily; install to a seperate directory/folder; Then simply move the changed files fah.exe and UILANG1.UDB to the previous folding folder; and finally delete the new install and reboot. The value in this method is that you don't end up having to change any of the currently working services and thereby you don't risk corrupting the current WU.

Fushigi

Storage Is My Life
Luckily the current WU doesn't appear to have corrupted. It picked up where it left off at some 63% done and is up to 89% now. Uninstall-then-reinstall in the same directory seems to have worked despite the CoreStatus errors. But a note about that requirement on the Stanford page would have been nice.

CougTek

Hairy Aussie

I've downloaded the latest beta GPU client from Stanford's site (15 minutes ago) and when I'm trying to start it up, I get the message that this beta expired on July 2nd. WFT?