Folding@Home

Mercutio

Fatwah on Western Digital
My local supplier is listing a Sapphire x1950 Pro at $146.
Newegg's got one at $165 and another with a rebate that drops it to $149.
Wait a couple days and there will be more.

I suspect you'll see x1900GTOs at $130 very shortly as well.

P5-133XL

Xmas '97
I suspect that the price reductions are a result of companies trying to reduce inventories in antisipation of the new x2900 series coming out 3/31/07.

P5-133XL

Xmas '97
Well, it appears that SMP folding has had its PPD drop. As of today, a new p2908 WU has halved my PPD from 1000 to 500. Oh Well, it was a nice run, even though rather short.

LiamC

Storage Is My Life
Crap. I've got a 2604 WU due to complete in 50 minutes... It was going to be worth 1760 points.

CougTek

Hairy Aussie
Handruin : 1
LiamC : 0

I've finally been able to fix our broken link for the team logo. The problem was that our team has been created before they required the founder to give an e-mail address, so there was none assosciated with our team and its founder : me. After about a week of e-mail exchanges with two of the admins out there, I got a valid password sent to the e-mail address I gave them. Both admins were very helpful, but there was a glitch the first time they created a new ID and it took a few additional days to fix it.

P6_133XL has been there since last December according to the ExOC stats. I don't know why Mark created it but I suspect it was only to test the stability of a system sending erronous WUs. 7 WUs and no points.

P5-133XL

Xmas '97
P6_133XL has been there since last December according to the ExOC stats. I don't know why Mark created it but I suspect it was only to test the stability of a system sending erronous WUs. 7 WUs and no points.

It's been there a long time: I don't remember ever creating it for a purpose: More likely, it was simply a typeo, during configuration, that I corrected.

LiamC

Storage Is My Life
Mark,

have you noticed points drops on any other projects? I've done 5 2604 & 5's so far. The 2604's gave 1760 points.

P5-133XL

Xmas '97
nope, just that one, and that is supposedly because of the size of the CPU's cache: It's sensative to the 512KB cache on my CPU's, but it was benchmarked on CPU's with 2MB of cache. So, it isn't the start of a points nerf ...

Last edited:

Will Rickards

Storage Is My Life
Website
willrickards.net
I have to stop folding for a while. I think my PC is overheating. It locked up yesterday and when I started it back up the core temp was high according to speedfan. Once I turned off folding it went down to normal levels. Guess I have to remount the cpu cooler or get another better one. I couldn't find any information in the event logs though. If your CPU is overheating would there be a log anywhere?

Handruin

Administrator
Maybe the CPU cooler does need remounting. I have the X2 4600+ with the OEM heatsink and stock fan and I have no temp problems while running two instances of FAH for days at a time.

Will Rickards

Storage Is My Life
Website
willrickards.net
Yeah mine has been running fine for months with two instances on an X2 3800 with the OEM heatsink and stock fan. But the computer never locked up before and there were no real software changes. Maybe the high temps were a red herring, I'll have to do some testing and temp monitoring.

The only thing that changed recently was me taking the machine off the UPS because the replacement battery was the wrong size. So it has been only on a surge supressor for about two weeks.

What would help is if I could get some temps from someone with an X2 3800 or similar with two instance of F@H running. I need to know what normal full load temps are. Doug, what are your full load temps? Idle Temps?

P5-133XL

Xmas '97
Yeah mine has been running fine for months with two instances on an X2 3800 with the OEM heatsink and stock fan. But the computer never locked up before and there were no real software changes. Maybe the high temps were a red herring, I'll have to do some testing and temp monitoring.

The only thing that changed recently was me taking the machine off the UPS because the replacement battery was the wrong size. So it has been only on a surge supressor for about two weeks.

What would help is if I could get some temps from someone with an X2 3800 or similar with two instance of F@H running. I need to know what normal full load temps are. Doug, what are your full load temps? Idle Temps?

My X2 4600's using stock retail heatsink/fan's while dual-instance folding operate between 50-55C depending upon the quality of my heat-sink install and the individual case.

P5-133XL

Xmas '97
So far my core temp is hovering around 60C under full load for 20 minutes now.

That temp is not going to cause a problem, since the CPU's are rated for 70C. That being said, I would not feel comfortable at 60C: I really don't like it at 55C, but I live with it.

Handruin

Administrator
My system is hovering around 62C for the core CPU with two instances of FAH running. That seems higher than I remember, but there may be something funny going on with my smart fan. It is running rather slow at the moment and I don't know why.

CougTek

Hairy Aussie
Am I the only one who isn't properly rewarded in points for the last few sents units? I know I completed at least 3 units since yesterday and I am still waiting for my points to appear. Quite pissed I am starting to be.

My units, one 330 point GPU WU, one p3040 and one p3038, all completed well within the allowed time frame and without any error message. That makes me quite en Tabarnack, especially since I should have passed our local clown yesterday, but I'm still 36 puny points behind right now.

I've just checked and only the Extreme OC page doesn't grant me my well deserved score. Stanford's official stats give me my true score.

P5-133XL

Xmas '97
Am I the only one who isn't properly rewarded in points for the last few sents units? I know I completed at least 3 units since yesterday and I am still waiting for my points to appear. Quite pissed I am starting to be.

My units, one 330 point GPU WU, one p3040 and one p3038, all completed well within the allowed time frame and without any error message. That makes me quite en Tabarnack, especially since I should have passed our local clown yesterday, but I'm still 36 puny points behind right now.

I've just checked and only the Extreme OC page doesn't grant me my well deserved score. Stanford's official stats give me my true score.

That just means that EOC will get them at the next update interval (upper left hand corner of the EOC stat page gives the time remaining till next update).

Will Rickards

Storage Is My Life
Website
willrickards.net
Well I don't think the lockup was due to temps anymore.
As it happened without F@H running and the temps weren't above 40C when rebooted. But now I have to figure out what it is. Oh Joy.

P5-133XL

Xmas '97

It appears that EOC and Kakao are both having problems with Stanford's flooding script locking them out from the Stanford's stats database:

EOC_Jason said:
Still blocked, just replied to Vijay's PM.

It's not a huge technical issue, nothing is broken with the stats on either server. Basically Stanford has a script that will auto-block an IP that queries their server too fast (probably particulary the cgi pages - but I don't query those). Somehow my server's IP got block and that is why it is not updating. Until they unblock it I'm kind of dead in the water (as are other 3rd party stats sites so I hear).

CougTek

Hairy Aussie
Today was kind of a good day. First time ever that I'm in the red on ExOC's stats page. Thank you SMP client.

But now I have an X1950 XT doing absolutely nothing though.

CougTek

Hairy Aussie
My system is hovering around 62C for the core CPU with two instances of FAH running.
Using the (still buggy) FAH SMP client, you would more than double your ppd production. I use it on an X2 3800+ and I finish my units in time, although I'm sometimes close to the allowed limit. It is a test domain controller running Win2K3, so it is unused most of the time.

Handruin

Administrator
Wait, when did they release a windows version? I thought they only had linux right now?

P5-133XL

Xmas '97
Using the (still buggy) FAH SMP client, you would more than double your ppd production. I use it on an X2 3800+ and I finish my units in time, although I'm sometimes close to the allowed limit. It is a test domain controller running Win2K3, so it is unused most of the time.

I do much better (2x PPD) with the Linux clients than the Windows. Supposedly it is the small cache on the x2 4600's and the specific WU's that the clients are getting. The Reference machines that determine the PPD are supposedly 2M cache machines and my mere 4600's only have 512K. There's also supposedly a performance differential between the Windows/Linux OS's and AMD/Intel CPU's where Intel perfers Windows and AMD prefers Linux.

The result is that, on my machines, the SMP Windows Client gets 450PPD and finishes with 10% remaining and occasionally will exceed the deadline and get Zippo. The SMP Linux machines are getting around 1050PPD with 50% remaining.

CougTek

Hairy Aussie
Second power outage in two weeks. This time, I only lost some 9 hours worth of computing on my four computers. But the Core 2 Duo only wants to use standard loops because it wasn't properly shut down when the outage occured.

Calice.

Last week, I lost more than 12 hours of processing for the same reason. I finished a 1760 points unit some three hours too late to meet the saturday night dead line, so my weekly amount was some 6800. Fbostrom, my main competitor these days, finished with 8500 point for the week. The difference between him and me : that f**k'n POWER OUTAGE!

CougTek

Hairy Aussie
You know a UPS that could power up four modern computers during 9 hours?

And at the lattitude I live at, suggesting solar power sounds like a bad joke.