Folding@Home

Handruin

Administrator
Bartender said:
Handruin said:
*Althon T-Bird 1.2 GHz (about 23 hours a day)
*PIII 1GHz
*PIII 1GHz
*Quad PIII Xeon 500MHz

* Denotes machine running 24x7

Wow, no wonder you took the lead. I'll have to wave my magic wand and accidently spill some beer on that Quad PIII.

Yeah but this was the same setup with genome@home. You were gaining on me pretty damn good, I was figuring you would swim away from me with folding at home.

Bartender

Storage is cool
Website
www.mittelsmann.net
Handruin and Bartend fight for first place, and Bartender takes the lead. Cougtek pulls away from Cliptin and sees Handruin in the distance. Tea is still clamoring at the gate insisting the race is unfair.

CougTek

Serial computer killer
Clocker said:
[*]Single Pentium 3 1Ghz 133 FSB, i810E chipset, 256MB (in an old AT case!)

[*]Dual Athlon XP 1700+ in a Tyan Tiger MPX S2466-4M (w/ fixed USB)
It's weird I'm able to hold my own against Kevin, his setup should be at least 50% faster than mine. Three CPUs vs two. Two Athlon XP 1700+ vs my Athlon XP 1600+ and a 1GHz PIII vs my Athlon 500MHz. There's something wrong, but I'm not the one who'll complain.

P5-133XL

Xmas '97
1/2 of a dual MP 1900+. I'm still commited to doing United Devices, but their program does not use dual processors so I added folding@home to a machine doing Cancer/Anthrax cures. Thus both are running at 50% (the equivilent of a single MP 1900+)

The JoJo

Wannabe Storage Freak
Website
www.thejojo.com
Thanks for the input folks!
We seem have some pretty heavy artillery here doing the crunching!

I get this when I try to run the client on my laptop at work:

Work directory not found. Creating...Could not open work queue, generating new q
ueue...
- Autosending finished units...
- Autosend completed
+ Attempting to get work packet
- Connecting to assignment server
- Could not send request to AS #2
- Successful: assigned to (171.64.122.112).
+ News From Folding@Home: Welcome to 2.0
- Connecting to server (171.64.122.112) on port 80
- Error: Getwork #1 failed, and no other work to do. Waiting before retry

Anyone have any idea what I could try to get this thing to work?
Port 80 is open on the company firewall, but that's about it....

The JoJo

Wannabe Storage Freak
Website
www.thejojo.com
I've been reading the Folding forum, and it seems that the port 80 problem is still under development. Hopefully we will see a v3 beta with that ironed out soon...

Bartender

Storage is cool
Website
www.mittelsmann.net
Handruin takes the lead as he pulls away from Bartender. CougTek struggles in third. Clocker is keeping pace with CougTek. Cliptin and The_JoJo struggle as they attempt to keep pace with Clocker. P5-133XL and Prof.Wizard lag behind the pack as they race neck-and-neck. Tea comes bolting out of the gates, passing the perplexed and torpid Sol with ease.

Clocker

Storage? I am Storage!
CougTek said:
Clocker said:
[*]Single Pentium 3 1Ghz 133 FSB, i810E chipset, 256MB (in an old AT case!)

[*]Dual Athlon XP 1700+ in a Tyan Tiger MPX S2466-4M (w/ fixed USB)
It's weird I'm able to hold my own against Kevin, his setup should be at least 50% faster than mine. Three CPUs vs two. Two Athlon XP 1700+ vs my Athlon XP 1600+ and a 1GHz PIII vs my Athlon 500MHz. There's something wrong, but I'm not the one who'll complain.

Yeah...I'm not sure WTF is going on.... :-(

Prof.Wizard

Wannabe Storage Freak
Pant pant... I hope to possess... err, I mean add... the processing power of two ignorant friends of mine. They have some stupid screen savers... 8)

-AMD Duron 1GHz
-AMD Athlon XP 1900+

... currently the first (notebook) is working on the UD for me.

Prof.Wizard

Wannabe Storage Freak
Bug bug bug... :evil:
My F@h's client screen has stuck to 4 WUs... But I have already done 6...

Let's hope they fix this crap in v3.

CougTek

Serial computer killer
My stats haven't been updated since early yesterday, although I'm sure that my two main computers are still crunching all the time. I even added another part-time box, but nothing has moved. I believe The_JoJo is experiencing similar problems with his stats.

I don't know what is causing these periodic stats downtimes. First member of our team to seem to have suffered from this was Tea I think.

P5-133XL

Xmas '97
Clear your browser cache before refreshing - It could be that the old stats are being locally cached and thereby isn't being updated on the screen.

CougTek

Serial computer killer
Nope Mark. That's not the problem. I even used another computer and my stats didn't change. I only hope I'll be credited for all of the WU I did when they finally update my stats.

Prof.Wizard

Wannabe Storage Freak
BTW, now it updated (at my local client) but still shows me 5 (from 4) WUs done.

The online results give 6... :(

Sol

Storage is cool
I've got it on an XP1700+ @ 1681, but like Tea mine spends more time waiting for me to connect to the net so it can get more work than it does actually doing said work. That should change in a couple of weeks when I move out of home and get cable.

The JoJo

Wannabe Storage Freak
Website
www.thejojo.com
We're entering the top 500 teams!
Our rank was a minute ago 501.

I've got a friend of mine crunching for us now, using my nick. I think he is using a 1.2GHz Athlon. I hope I can convince him to use a few more computers to help us :) .

Tea

Storage? I am Storage!
Website
www.redhill.net.au
To hell with this business of having Southerners and Europeans ahead of me! Look out Chatanooga! Look out Rome! I is a comin' through!

There is a spare a Soltek KT-133A sitting in the corner of my room, which has had 256MB of RAM, a G450, a 17 inch Delta monitor and a PSU attached to it for some time, plus a Duron 600 and an amazingly corroded Quantum Fireball CR which Tannin uses to boot off and do things like access time tests on his mouldy old hard drives. Outside of that, it does nothing at all. And I'm tired of seeing these damn foreigners ahead of me.

d-fireball-cr-rust.jpg

So tonight I grabbed a Realtek NIC, a cable, a crossover adaptor, and bullied Tannin into lending me his machine and doing me an internet sharing thing.

Oh, and I dropped in a Thunderbird 1333. It's crunching away now.

Tea

Storage? I am Storage!
Website
www.redhill.net.au
PS: is there anything special I need to know about getting the two machines to run in harmony?

All I did was copy FAH3Console.exe over to c:\Program Files\Folding@Home and then double clicked on it. It asked me username (Tea), team number (10047), ask before connect (no), something about CPU utilisation I forget (I just pressed enter) and something else about priority 5 - 100 (I said 100).

Will that do it, or do I need to know anything else?

Prof.Wizard

Wannabe Storage Freak
OMG Tea/Tannin, don't get the F@h thing personally!! :lol:

BTW, I'm thrilled. We're in the best 500 teams and keep getting better and better. Imagine if we persuade nrg=mc² to join the team. His Cliptin-class crunching abilities will surely help...

The JoJo

Wannabe Storage Freak
Website
www.thejojo.com
My friend seems to have added a few more computers to our effort, hopefully well see some more progress being made with my nick in a few days...

Way to go tea! Get some attitude into this, and while you are at it, some more computers...;)

Clocker

Storage? I am Storage!
Tea said:
PS: is there anything special I need to know about getting the two machines to run in harmony?

All I did was copy FAH3Console.exe over to c:\Program Files\Folding@Home and then double clicked on it. It asked me username (Tea), team number (10047), ask before connect (no), something about CPU utilisation I forget (I just pressed enter) and something else about priority 5 - 100 (I said 100).

Will that do it, or do I need to know anything else?

Tea-

Check the log file on each installation of the program and make sure each as a different USER ID Number. Other than that, you should be all set...

C