Folding@Home

CougTek

Serial computer killer
Tea said:
Dare I hope to challenge The Enigmatic One next?
I found the reason of my frozen stats : my damn firewall didn't allow the console to send/ask results. Unfortunately, I've been away from home for the last three days so that's why so many people past me during the weekend. Now, I should be back to my ~15-20 points/day. If you can beat that, you might dare to challenge me. Otherwise, ...

CougTek

Serial computer killer
My goal is to enter the first 100 teams during the first week of July or before. After that, being among the first 50 by the end of August. I'm sure we'll beat both of these marks.

Bartender

Storage is cool
Website
www.mittelsmann.net
Boy, I mis-read that. We're ranked 444, but our units worked was 298, now we're at 301. Sorry about that. Nonetheless, are moving at a steady, but high speed pace, so we could meet your expectations Coug.

P5-133XL

Xmas '97
Tea said:
P5 is The Enigmatic One, Coug.

I don't feel particularly obscure, and if fact I actually try to be clear in most things. However, I do realize I make an easy target especially to the one dirtectly beneath me.

Clocker

Storage? I am Storage!
[joking mode]

Clocker sits back and thinks about how NRG is now finally on a team he can actually compete on (genome) while he (Clocker) lets his actions (and stats) speak for him.....

[/joking mode]

Pradeep

Storage? I am Storage!
Tea said:
Hello, Pradeep is in! Cool!

I'm running folding on one cpu and genome on the other. I lost a damn WU cause I had two instances with the same ID number :(

Prof.Wizard

Wannabe Storage Freak
WTG Pradeep. Nice seeing you in!
Don't worry about the instances... I'm pretty sure you'll have lots to crunch...

Tea

Storage? I am Storage!
Website
www.redhill.net.au
Alllrrriiigggggggttt!!

I've cracked it. We now have TCP/IP networking at the office.

(Who cracked it?)

(Well, you did. Thankyou Tannin.)

As expected, it turned out to be simple enough once you know how. But believe you me, finding out how to use an ECS 1.01 server to provide an internet sharing connection to the two Windows boxen on the office network wasn't easy. It is now , er , 12:30AM and I've been at it ...

(Tea!)

... er .. sorry, Tannin has been at it since 5:15 PM.When you get the security company ringing up on your mobile to ask if you forgot to switch the alarm on, you know it's late. And bloody cold. I hate winter.

Now that I know how to do it, I could set it up on another machine in, oh, about five minutes. I estimate that it's taken me ... er ... sorry, it's taken Tannin maybe 30 or 40 hours to work it out. And some help from Sol.

(Er, by the way, Tannin, why didn't you just ask the local OS/2 expert? A town this size, there is bound to be one.)

(I am the local OS/2 expert, you idiot.)

(Oh. Right. Sorry.)

The trouble isn't lack of documentation, indeed, it's the reverse: Warp/ECS is drowning in bloody documentation, but a great deal of it doesn't apply. Buggered if I know why it is so.

(It's quite simple, little sister: Originally OS/2 had no native networking built into it. For that, there was another product, which began as the joint Microsoft/IBM LAN Server, and later on metamorhosed into Microsoft's NT Advanced Server and IBM's OS/2 LAN Server , which itself became Warp Server - at a cool $1500 bucks a copy or so. You might remember, back in the early days of our office network, that we ran Lantastic for OS/2.)

(No, I don't remember. That was before I was born.)

(Oh yes, of course. Anyway, they realised, rather late in the piece, that network connectivity was a serious selling point: IBM had laughed at Windows for Workgroups, derided it as the pitiful product that it was, and then been very surprised when the average idiot went out and bought it anyway. I mean, real networks used LAN Server, or Netware, none of this whimpy peer to peer stuff. So they decided that they had better stick some networking in for themselves. This was the genesis of Warp Connect - which we duly ran out and bought. Warp's networking component - IBM Peer to Peer Networking, as they called it - was something that came readily to hand for IBM, they simply stripped some of the fancy stuff out of Warp Server and stuck that in.)

(Which is why Windows networks and OS/2 networks are so easy to connect together, yes? Because both products are essentially updated versions of the original IBM/Microsoft LAN Server? Except that Microsoft go and do stupid proprietary extension things to break it from time to time, yes?)

(Pretty much, yeah. Anyway, now comes the tricky bit, and it has to do with the oddities of IBM as an organisation. At the time that Warp Connect came out, IBM were just starting to get their gifted but tiny minds around a concept called "Time to Market". Up until now, they hadn't actually realised that, if it's a good idea, it's actually a good idea to do something practical about it this decade - hell, sometimes you should even aim to get things out of the preliminary commitee stages in the very same year.)

(Wow! Radical!)

(Too right it was radical. Good Lord, they even had people take their suits off and walk around in T-shirts and (ever so neatly pressed) jeans for a while. But you could still smell the suit - some things never wash off. You see, Tea, IBM are very, very clever, and very, very stupid. If IBM was a person, you'd say right away, "this person has severe Aspberger's Syndrome" - very, very good at the really hard things in life, and quite unable to tie his own shoelaces. So when the marketing guys said "we want networking right now" and the management said "yes, give it to them, right away", the engineering types were quite shocked. In fact, they didn't know how to do it, not without breraking all their time honoured rules about very careful testing and getting every last detail right. But they managed: they ripped the main bits out of Warp Server, left out the fancy big-network stuff, and it worked just fine. But when it came to the documentation side of things ... this was too hard.)

(You mean like their pitiful efforts to be trendy and have nice coloured boxes and stuff?)

(Exactly. So they started at both ends and worked towards the middle.)

(And this is why the Warp Peer to Peer documentation is so voluminous and such a weird mix of heavy detail and horrible big-end-of-town jargon on the one hand, and barely-better-than-Microsoft bubby talk on the other?)

(Exactly.)

(But the information is all there isn't it?)

(Well, yes. But the trouble is - and this is he reason we are still here at the office and it's 1:30AM - that they forgot to take out all the Warp Server specific stuff! I've spent hours and hours getting my mind around the correct way to install and configure a DHCP server, for example, only to find that this version of the networking software doesn't bloody have a DHCP server. And followed up about seven other blind alleys as well.)

(But you got it eventually, didn't you.)

(Yup. I'm not even going to bore you with all the various options I examined - you see, I hate networking, I didn't want to become a home-grown bloody expert on TCP/IP, I just wanted to set you up with some connection sharing so as to let you play with that Folding@Home stuff you've got this bug about. And now that I've learned far more about TCP/I bloody P than I ever wanted to know, I have discovered that it's extremely bloody simple, and I could do the second machine in about ten minutes flat, including time for a cuppa.)

(Err, Tannin?)

(Yes?)

(This was supposed to be my post.)

(Oh. Sorry about that. Look, what's say we go home, and you can have the whole damn computer all to yourself for the night?)

(OK. And can we sleep in in the morning and come to work late?)

(Yeah. Let's!)

Tea

Storage? I am Storage!
Website
www.redhill.net.au
I do know what cold is! Cold is when you go to bed alone and you wake up with two cats ucuddled up to you under the blankets.

Anyway, I now have:

Athlon XP 1800 DDR
Athlon 1333 SDRAM
K6-III/450+ @500

all running.

Tomorow, if I remember to take my NT CD into the office so I can finish installing TCP/IP on the workshop CD burner box, I'll have another K6-III. And, so long as Kristi doesn't go and steal the bits from me to build computers out of, an XP 1900 as well. But that one is just temporary: like the Bartender's ones, it's just spare parts waiting for a buyer.

And there, I'm afraid I'll have to stop: at that point I'll be out of spare sockets in my eight-port switch.

The JoJo

Wannabe Storage Freak
Website
www.thejojo.com
I second that ! :D

Great post Tony!

My friend has the client running on a 1.4GHz Athlon, 1.2GHz Athlon and a few slower P3's (dunno exactly what they are). A big help to our effort!

And now that Tony has that ICS thing covered I'm confident we'll get some more units cracked/day on the other side of the world too. ;)

P5-133XL

Xmas '97
Sol said:
I've got it on an XP1700+ @ 1681, but like Tea mine spends more time waiting for me to connect to the net so it can get more work than it does actually doing said work. That should change in a couple of weeks when I move out of home and get cable.

Sol,

Do you realize that your current contributions are not being credited to the SF team?

James

Storage is cool
CougTek said:
Tea said:
And bloody cold. I hate winter.
Pssfff. Whimp. You don't even know what COLD is.
{i]I[/i] do. I lived for six years in Canada, and three and a half in Denmark, and three in Switzerland. But I've never been as cold as when we went to Greenland and went deep inside a mine 500M up a sheer cliff.

The JoJo

Wannabe Storage Freak
Website
www.thejojo.com
Hmmm, third spot for me.

Team rank is 336 at the moment, maybe will be in the top 300 groups tomorrow...? :)

As of a few hours ago, there was still not a new beta version out. So no crunching through firewalls yet for me.

Prof.Wizard

Wannabe Storage Freak
Can you all send messages to nrg... it's some 5 days now I try to persuade him join our ranks... :cry:

Tea

Storage? I am Storage!
Website
www.redhill.net.au
I detect renewed spurts of activity from P5 and Cougtek: just as well, because I am breathing down their necks now. As soon as I get that fifth machine, an Athlon XP 1900, talking to the network - Mercutio is helping me with that over in this thread: http://www.storageforum.net/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?p=8389 - I should be in a position to overtake them once and for all. (I passed Mark for several hours yesterday but he has slipped back in front of me again.)

And look at that Bartender go!

P5-133XL

Xmas '97
Tea,

I am not spurting the machine generally runs 24x7 but rather 13hr/5 points and less hours for fewer points. Slow and steady seems to be a better description.

I note that as you get more machines up and running, you should easily out distance me and my 1/2 of one machine. Most of my machines are still dedicated to UD but since UD does not deal with dual machines I am running both UD and F@H on that one machine: Each one gets one processor. Thus processing power is not wasted and I have not harmed my efforts on UD in the slightest.

I't is not my fault that everyone here has abandoned UD. I refuse to do the same without good reason such as UD closing its doors. I figure that in 3-4 months I'll be #2 on the SR team. Without a lot more machines, I'll not become #1 because Mholda is generating far more points per day than I am: I'm falling behind rather than catching up.

Note, I started UD in February and have been catching up with everyone elses headstart. Can't think of a really good reason to abandon the quest for #2. For me, abandoning SR for SF because of the people involved is not a good enough reason.

Tea

Storage? I am Storage!
Website
www.redhill.net.au
I still have to sort my networking problem out, P5. But we will do that before too long.

Tannin is still doing UD in theory, but only as a screen saver now, and it never seems to get anywhere. We should fiddle with the screen saver settings so that it gets enough time to do at least a little work.

I thought UD was closing? It was announced.

CougTek

Serial computer killer
I added my third 24/7 system yesterday. Still, it won't allow me to resist the five machines setup of Furry Monkey. I repeat it, wouldn't it be of a damn problem with my firewall, I would have some 25-30 points more and that's why you're immediately behind me. I haven't rushed anything since Monday, I just fixed my firewall issue.

Pradeep

Storage? I am Storage!
Ok I give up, it keeps giving me the same frigging user id#, even when I delete config file and reenter the data. Is that normal? Or should there be a diff number for each install.

Clocker

Storage? I am Storage!
If you are doing two installs on the same machine, both cannot be FAH3. Either both hav to be FAH2 or you can use one FAH2 and One FAH3.

THe -local switch is not working but will be fixed in the final version...

C

Prof.Wizard

Wannabe Storage Freak
P5-133XL said:
...Most of my machines are still dedicated to UD but since UD does not deal with dual machines I am running both UD and F@H on that one machine: Each one gets one processor. Thus processing power is not wasted and I have not harmed my efforts on UD in the slightest.

I't is not my fault that everyone here has abandoned UD. I refuse to do the same without good reason such as UD closing its doors. I figure that in 3-4 months I'll be #2 on the SR team. Without a lot more machines, I'll not become #1 because Mholda is generating far more points per day than I am: I'm falling behind rather than catching up.

Note, I started UD in February and have been catching up with everyone elses headstart. Can't think of a really good reason to abandon the quest for #2. For me, abandoning SR for SF because of the people involved is not a good enough reason.
This is an example of good thinking.
Don't worry P5 though, you're not alone. It's true I've decreased my activity from full-time to certain days of the week regarding UD, but that doesn't mean I've abandoned it... I've already added the crunching abilities of two other CPUs and -/+10% I should be on the same yield.

I initiated a thread @SR back a month ago, asking who's really in and who's not. Few people have responded. UD should cancel members/devices which not turn in results for a certain amount of time, let's say 2 months. It's pathetic that The Giver hasn't turned in anything yet...

I switched to F@h from UD-think not because I like more SF from SR, but because I believe the second has already a big family and because I'm interested in the Neurological Diseases, the goal of the first project.

PS. Anyone remember that I wanted F@h from the first moment and you finally chose G@h?! :x

The JoJo

Wannabe Storage Freak
Website
www.thejojo.com
This is from the F@H forum:

To answer several concerns that have popped up on this thread:
1. We agree that port 80 has to be fixed in order to release 3.0; we have been focusing most of our debugging effort on this & we are pretty confident that we are getting closer to a solution.

2. The dual CPU / registry ID problem fix is in the works

3. Autosend's impact on performance is negligible - we've probably spent more time debating it than the combined slowdown of all F@H participants for the next 5 years. icon_smile.gif Its cosmetic effects have been removed & it now checks only once every 6 hours. The boost in productivity from F@H's point of view is huge - we are expecting a large segment of the work that comes back too late to now be returned on time.

There'll be a new beta in the next couple of days which will implement 2 & 3, and hopefully will be better as far as 1 is concerned.

So hopefully I can add a few more computers in the next few days when the firewall issue has hopefully been solved.

This was posted 29.05.02 btw

Prof.Wizard

Wannabe Storage Freak
Team ranking 300! 8)

w00t
drinka.gif

Prof.Wizard

Wannabe Storage Freak
OMG Buck! :eek:
How did you figure that out?!

This "missile flea" emblem is amazing... and that bird was pretty cool... :)

(rank 298 fellas...)

Buck

Storage? I am Storage!
Website
www.hlmcompany.com
Yes, nice jet, but it had an awkward shape. The idea behind the motto: “Wie ein Floh”, was to display the compact, but lethal abilities of this beast (bird has the ring of finesse which the ME163 did not). Although 300 ME163Bs were built, I think there were only 9 confirmed air victories.

Prof.Wizard

Wannabe Storage Freak
Buck said:
Yes, nice jet
rocket you mean :wink:
The idea behind the motto: “Wie ein Floh”, was to display the compact, but lethal abilities of this beast
Yep. That's why it will be my Avatar for a while... I'm like a flea too in these forums, hehe... :wink:
Although 300 ME163Bs were built, I think there were only 9 confirmed air victories.
Exactly. :wink:

Your knowledge over the matter suprised me Buck. Way to go!
(even if you were quick to put my signature on Google to see what it was, this shows a man with interests and curiosity...)