Folding the Numbers

Tea

Storage? I am Storage!
Website
www.redhill.net.au
In the other thread, Cougtek wrote:

It's unfortunate that we don't see teams and users ranking past the 100th spot. I liked it, back in the early Genome@home days, to see us trampling some 30 teams a day. I miss that.

Fortunately, I won't miss that for very long, as we should enter the top 100 in less than three weeks, if not just two. Still...none of us will be among the top 100 users for quite a while.

I feel the same way, or at least I did until just now when I discovered this page: http://www.statsman.org/folding2stats/html/index.html and from it we can learn a great deal of interesting stuff.

I pasted the numbers into Quattro Pro just now (at which point we were #262). Having them in a spreadsheet, I can do sorts and discover the following:

Taking the weekly totals as a reasonable indication of productivity, Team Storageforum.net is the 39th fastest producing team with 729 points in the week to date. With just 10 active users, there is only one team that folds more proteins than we do with a smaller number of users: Redfolders - who have just five active crunchers but manage to churn out almost 1700 points a week! But Redfolders aside, this is how the best-producing small teams stack up:

(Format is: Team - Active users - points per week - Current rank)

Redfolders: 5: 1689: 20th
Macrumours: 14: 1096: 169th
Alien Soup: 13: 865: 25th
HackXbox.com: 14: 762: 49th
StorageForum: 10 729: 262nd
CableModems UK: 10: 504: 74th
Rambling Waffles: 10: 475: 110th
GoNavy: 10: 394: 63rd

Tea

Storage? I am Storage!
Website
www.redhill.net.au
But to hell with the size of the team: what about the raw horsepower we are generating? If we keep up out current productivity level, where can we realistically aim for?

Long and the short of it is we are the 39th fastest producing team. We shouldn't be aiming top 100, guys, we are already crunching fast enough to force our way into the top 50.

To hit the top 20, though, we would have to beat the afforementioned Redfolders, who are the 20th fastest producing team and have overall ranking #20 as well, and are crunching 1689 points worth a week.

That might be difficult.

Tea

Storage? I am Storage!
Website
www.redhill.net.au
Oh, and I nearly forgot - you can see detailed Storageforum.net team stats here:

http://www.statsman.org/folding2stats/html/10047.html

Right now, we are producing at these rates:

The JoJo: 147
The Bartender: 140
handruin 105
Clocker 110
Tea 80
CougTek 65
P5 133XL: 57
Prof.Wizard: 19
Pradeep: 4.5
Soup Nazi: 2

Obviously, there is something odd about the weekly totals stats. Look, for example, at Soup Nazi's 2 - where in fact the Crabby One has scored 7 points in the last three days or so. I presume, then, that the calculation is made from some arbitary point - midnight Wednesday or some such. All of which seems to throw the figures in my first post into doubt.

sigh

CougTek

Hairy Aussie
Thanks Tea. I had no clue that Statsman also monitored F@h stats.

I'm sure our current pace is more like 1000 points a week because some of us (raise hand) added more computers in the last few days. However, I don't think we can hope to crunch faster than Redfolder just yet.

Still, for a rookie team, we rock!

Handruin

Administrator
I didn't know statsman did folding@home either. Want me to change the link on the front page to this? Thanks for posting that info!

Prof.Wizard

Wannabe Storage Freak
Nice suit handruin! :wink:

Anyway... top-100 is OK for me. If we're top-50 or top-20 even better much being at the best 100 teams (in the special page F@h has for the best 100 teams) is already a success...