Football

CougTek

Hairy Aussie
The Bears won, but damn they like to complicate their lives sometimes. That game was in their pocket and they almost found a way to lose it.

I miss the days when Singletary, Refrigerator Perry and Walter Payton were on the team...

CougTek

Hairy Aussie
He's the definition of a "loose canon". He also keeps the ball for too long way too often. It's no coincidence he's among the most sacked quarterback in the league.

CougTek

Hairy Aussie
We could be worst : we could be Colts fans. The massacre they are suffering this evening is particularly delightful since they are those who beat the Bears in their last Superbowl appearance. Well, them and the double-agent that Rex Grossman was.

CougTek

Hairy Aussie
Four in a row! I knew they could beat the Lions at home. I think they'll lose their next two games though (although the Chargers are playing so badly, it's unsure they'll be able to defeat the Bears). After that, the only other game they'll lose is the one against the Packers. That will make them 10-6 and in the playoffs.

The NFC Nort is the strongest division in the League IMO.

sechs

Storage? I am Storage!
I thought that this thread might actually be about a sport where people move the ball with their feet....

CougTek

Hairy Aussie
You mean the sport where a bunch of wussies throw themselves on the ground, screaming like they're about to die and crying to their moms every time a member of the opposite team passes close enough of them so they feel the air moving? That's called "soccer" (pronounced "sucker" not without reason) in North America. Good for the cardio, bad for the ego.

sechs

Storage? I am Storage!
A bunch of wussies?

Who's wearing the protective pads and helmets?

Which sport requires an entire different team to play defense?

Which one has play stop every few minutes so that everyone can take a break?

LunarMist

I can't believe I'm a Fixture
Those contact sports are barbaric. One may as well be watching wrestling, boxing or whatever that deal is where the people are caged like animals and fight like them too.

Striker

Learning Storage Performance
Talking to an anti soccer person is like trying to talk to a die hard Republican. You're just going to get the propaganda and party line.

This is a generalization of course, not an invitation to debate from our resident right wingers.

sechs

Storage? I am Storage!
This is why I pay attention to Hockey. They have resolved these issues.
Don't be confused; I like hockey....

However, it's not the same team playing for the entire game; they just don't stop the clock to change lines. And they're still wearing helmets and pads.

They also have to take two breaks during the game, rather than just one.

sechs

Storage? I am Storage!
Those contact sports are barbaric. One may as well be watching wrestling, boxing or whatever that deal is where the people are caged like animals and fight like them too.
American Football is basically powder puff rugby.

Actually, I think that powder puff rugby is probably several notches above it.

Mercutio

Fatwah on Western Digital
Good sports:

Rhythmic Gymnastics (but only when grown-up looking chicks do it)
Beach Volleyball (but only when chicks do it)
Pole Dancing (but only when chicks do it)

Honorable mention: Caber tossing; "World's Strongest" contests where they juggle tractor tires or some other weird crap; whatever weirdo Aussie thing it was where the one player got a suspension for biting his opponent on the testicle.

Of televised sports in the USA, I have the least objection to basketball because the game is easy enough to follow and there is always something happening.

LunarMist

American Football is basically powder puff rugby.

Actually, I think that powder puff rugby is probably several notches above it.

I'm sure that I would not like the power puff rugby either.

CougTek

Hairy Aussie
I can't believe people come and polute my glorious football thread with soccer talk. Come one guys, create your own thread.

Handruin

Administrator
I can't believe people come and polute my glorious football thread with soccer talk. Come one guys, create your own thread.

Wait until Santilli gets in here and starts talking about surfing or TVs, or his Beast. :rofl:

LunarMist

I wish I could help, but the last time I watched the football on TV was 1988. :( The Buzkashi makes makes football look positively civilized by comparison.

Sol

Storage is cool
Since moving to the UK I've discovered that football (soccer) is the only sport which is so boring that the fans spend vastly more time discussing the teams managerial decisions than discussing the actual game. (It's at least 70-30, often more)

From my limited experience with American football I get the impression the actual game is marginally more important (to the fans at least) which suggests it's at least a bit more interesting than soccer.

CougTek

Hairy Aussie
That was their best game this season. Jay Cutler looked like Drew Brees in that game...but he broke his right thumb! No matter how erractic he can be, he's almost certainly better than their second quarterback. With Cutler in good shape, they were almost certain to make the playoffs, but with him out for several weeks, their chances dropped a lot.

Everything was going too well.

Sol

Storage is cool
So where are you from? Aussie?

Yeah, I'm an Aussie, but I'm a tech geek first so I don't actually like to watch any sports. The Welsh generally assume that I'll care about rugby and the English assume I'll care about cricket. Fortunately no one actually thinks I'm likely to care about any form of football, except perhaps Aussie rules about which they know even less than I do.

timwhit

Hairy Aussie
Stupid Cutler. Hanie actually looked alright when he came in in the 4th quarter against the Packers in the NFC Championship last year.

CougTek

Hairy Aussie
Why stupid Cutler? It was his most brilliant performance in ages. I can't blame him for being hurt this time. Inguries happen.

While I certainly don't believe he's a bright quarterback if you look at his career as a whole, but for once he looked quite good last Sunday.

timwhit

Hairy Aussie
Why stupid Cutler? It was his most brilliant performance in ages. I can't blame him for being hurt this time. Inguries happen.

While I certainly don't believe he's a bright quarterback if you look at his career as a whole, but for once he looked quite good last Sunday.

It's more general disappointment.

He broke his thumb while trying to tackle someone after throwing an interception.

sechs

Storage? I am Storage!
Yeah, I'm an Aussie, but I'm a tech geek first so I don't actually like to watch any sports. The Welsh generally assume that I'll care about rugby and the English assume I'll care about cricket.
Cricket is ridiculous. It's as if someone though, lets take a simple game and make it boring.

While a sumo basho may take two weeks, it does distill down very well.

CougTek

Hairy Aussie
WTF! What's going on this week? At halftime, Kansa City is leading Green Bay, Caroline is humiliating Houston, ditto for Washington over the Giants (that makes me happy : I despise Eli Manning) and St-Louis (yes, the RAMS!!!) are leading against Cincinnati. Like I wrote : WTF?

CougTek

Hairy Aussie
Yeah, but when you can't even win at home against the Seahawks, something's deeply wrong with your team. It wasn't even close in the second half. Hannie is definetly not the solution for the Bears (or anyone else IMO). I wouldn't do worse myself. I'm sure I can throw interceptions too!

Overall, it was a weird week. More than half the games were won by the underdog team. Tennessee players must wear paperbags on their heads right now.

CougTek

Hairy Aussie
The Giants didn't win the Superbowl ; the Patriots lost it. Wes Welker needs to grow up two or three inches. He had the win in his hands and dropped it. Just like the Raven's receiver did in the end zone versus the Patriots two weeks ago.

A disappointing year it was.

Howell

Storage? I am Storage!
There was speculation in the party where I was that the final running touchdown was allowed to get the offence on the field to score the game winner with plenty of time. Thoughts?

timwhit

Hairy Aussie
There was speculation in the party where I was that the final running touchdown was allowed to get the offence on the field to score the game winner with plenty of time. Thoughts?

I didn't realize that's what happened until I read this article, but it makes sense to me now.

Maybe they should have allowed it earlier.

Mercutio

Fatwah on Western Digital
I think it says good things about my chosen media outlets that, while I'm aware that there was a big football game, I still don't know what teams played or who won.

Howell

Storage? I am Storage!
Interesting article. While I was not very invested in the teams or game I do like thinking about the strategy. I didn't even catch many commercials this year.

Trying not to get too far off topic, anybody see Moneyball?