For all the Spinpoint fans

Will Rickards

Storage Is My Life
Website
willrickards.net
Looks at calendar... nope not April

Back on topic the samsung drive looks pretty good.
But honestly I jumped to the conclusion and skipped the article proper.

Mercutio

Fatwah on Western Digital
I actually found it pretty interesting that just about all the drives in the review performed better on one test than any of the rest. The Maxtors, Seagates, Raptors, Caviars and Deskstars all had at least one benchmark generally in their favor.

I kind of wonder if those benchmarks would hold out over a larger sampling of drives - if for example the Maxtor was for example engineered for high STR vs. being more capable for real world applications, or if it was some tiny variance in the particular units they tested.

Give some credit to Samsung too, for being able to keep up with Raptors and Perpendicular recording. I wonder how much of the reliability I've seen with Samsung drives can be credited to Samsung's slower product development.

Stereodude

Not really a
My guess: quite a lot of it, possibly most of it. Never release a drive till it's 100% right seems to be their motto.
I thought there motto was to never release a drive until it was obsolete compared to its competitors...

Handruin

Administrator
I think the 400GB is a commendable size even if you think it's obsolete. I doubt most people rush out to buy 750GB or even 500GB for that matter...those are only for people in need of such space and honestly I don't think most home users need that just yet. A 250-400GB is probably to sweet spot for space, but maybe some of the people who build systems for a living might be able to chime in with real-world data.

I would say a 40GB-80GB drive is becoming obsolete...even if it does have a place for some people.

ddrueding

Fixture
When I build computers for "office" use, they get a 160GB drive. When I build for "home" use, they get a 320GB drive. Unless they specifically state that they want more, they don't get it. 320GB for ~$100 is the most I can justify on a system unless they are willing to pay the premium.

Buck

Storage? I am Storage!
Website
www.hlmcompany.com
400 GB and higher capacity drives are in such demand that my distributors carry very few of them. ;) They aren't even serving up the larger drives from Samsung. The few from WD, Seagate and Hitachi are plenty. The Hitachi ones they don't supply regularly either.

Bozo

Storage? I am Storage!
I'm having a hard time getting 80GB to 200GB. Everything is backordered. :crap:

Bozo

Mercutio

Fatwah on Western Digital
It annoys me immensely that 80GB drives cost $8 less than 160GB drives.

But I use 160GBs for home PCs and 250s if someone wants a larger drive. I can't think of a 320GB drive I'd consider appealing enough to buy. 400GB+ drives I've just been buying for myself.

Bozo

Storage? I am Storage!
Is there anything in particular that you are look for?

I use mostly WD hard drives. I have been waiting for WD1600YD drives for a few weeks now.
WD800JD and WD800JB take longer to get than they did a month or so ago.

I am also limited where I buy from as I have to use the "Authorized Vender" and buying from the 'net is forbidden.

Bozo :joker:

Buck

Storage? I am Storage!
Website
www.hlmcompany.com
I use mostly WD hard drives. I have been waiting for WD1600YD drives for a few weeks now.
WD800JD and WD800JB take longer to get than they did a month or so ago.

I am also limited where I buy from as I have to use the "Authorized Vender" and buying from the 'net is forbidden.

If it helps, I'm a SelectWD member. :)
So, with the WD1600YD you're looking for a 7200-rpm/16MB cache 1st Gen (WD advertises it as 2nd Gen) SATA drive? With WD's new 17-character model number, it would show up as a WD1600ABKD. But, they're not going to build that model since it would show up as a 2nd Gen SATA drive. That would make it the WD1600ABKS. That new model should hit the market very soon with a format variation from their new 160GB per/platter design.

Either way, my distribution channels don't have those 160GB drives in stock currently. But they do have the WD800JD available. If you are allowed, you can purchase the WD800JD and WD800JB directly from Western Digital's Technical Support Center through their Customer Loyalty Program.

Bozo

Storage? I am Storage!
Thanks for the information!

The company I work for has contracts with venders across the country. I'm pretty much limited to them. But, it's not all bad. I get great customer support from the venders I deal with.