For the first time of my life, I'll have a job I'll like.

CougTek

Hairy Aussie
I've done many things to earn money in my life, including being a stock broker and running my own company, but because I was my own boss, I don't count those for "jobs". And being my own boss hasn't given me enough money to live on for the last few years, so I've had to work elsewhere to join both ends. None of the jobs I've done was computer-related. Most were arm jobs and the working conditions were quite poor. I started to believe that office people just didn't like my face...until this evening.

I had a meeting for a tech. job earlier this week and the business owner told me he would call me back at the end of the week to tell me what his decision was. He finally called me back today to tell me that among all the folks he's passed, I was his top choice. I almost fell on my ass. Me, a top choice. Yeah, I know I have the know-how, but I usually always find a way to screw up interviews. Not this time apparently. Great. The working hours are fine, the salary is fine (not Fushigi-like, but hey, I'll be maintaining PCs, not mainframes), the business looks like a nice place ; I think I'll be happy there.

I've been in Tannin's position before (to a smaller scale), but this is my first "Soup-Nazi" job. I'm very optimistic about it. I'll have to try smiling, now that I finally have a reason to.

Have a nice week-end. I know mine will be.

MaxBurn

Storage Is My Life
Congratz, that's pretty sweet. Having a job you like does wonders for your psyche.

Handruin

Administrator
Congrats buddy! Now...just remember...when you get mad at the equipment, you don't OWN their equipment. ;)

:beer:

CougTek

Hairy Aussie
Yes, I know that. I had a scare this evening because the boss originally wanted to discuss the job therms while visiting me. I was in a hurry to hide four smashed towers before his arrival. Finally, he was too busy so he just told me that I begin Monday on the phone. What a relief. One of the things I'll do in the upcoming weeks will be to replace all my enclosures with "un-personalized" models.

jtr1962

Storage? I am Storage!
Congratulations, Coug! If it's any consolation, I haven't yet had any job working for others that I enjoy.

Most were arm jobs and the working conditions were quite poor. I started to believe that office people just didn't like my face...until this evening.
That's the same situation I'm in. Seems despite my Ivy League college degree the only kinds of jobs people hire me for are low-paying, boring, manual labor or technician type jobs. That's why I pretty much resolved never to work for anyone else again.

CougTek

Hairy Aussie
Thanks everyone.

Well, first day was quite hard. It was a kind of horror show. PCs after PCs, none with a proper browser or even a hint of an anti-spyware program. Anti-virus? Obsolete versions of McAffee and Norton. And users want them to go fast (Most being PIII-class, none with more than 256MB of RAM and all running WinXP) and they expect us to finish for yesterday. Most want to keep their memory-hug programs and apparently, everything has to load at startup. Let's say it's quite a change of my usual customership.

But I think I'll survive.

paugie

Storage is cool
It was a kind of horror show. PCs after PCs, none with a proper browser or even a hint of an anti-spyware program. Anti-virus? Obsolete versions of McAffee and Norton. And users want them to go fast (Most being PIII-class, none with more than 256MB of RAM and all running WinXP
Hey, much of what I've seen in the places I've been asked to troubleshoot are like that. Hmmm, I'd be very comfortable in your place of work. :)

mubs

Storage? I am Storage!
Aaah, don't you just love a challenge?! Glad you made it through your first day without any case modifications, Coug! Way to go!

Buck

Storage? I am Storage!
Website
www.hlmcompany.com
More than likely, you'll be stuck with those systems too. They can't afford to upgrade the hardware or software, and you need to make them better and faster -- the life of an IT professional. Coug, did you wear your t-shirt with the big hammer on the back and the slogan: "The beatings will continue until morale improves"?

Pradeep

Storage? I am Storage!
Congrats Coug.

I actually resigned from my job a couple of weeks ago, had enough with shoddy behaviour by the CEO. Apparently he had to spend quite some time with the Board of Directors doing damage control :)

Santilli

Hairy Aussie
Well, congratulation CK.

Pradeep, glad to hear you are moving on. I'm sure things will work out better for you.

Good luck and God Bless both of you.

S

Pradeep

Storage? I am Storage!
Can't relocate. Will be staying in the Rochester area. My programming skills are very dusty, I barely remember any of that. During the last two years I have been moving more into the customer support/troubleshooting/help desk role, along with sales technical support, on site customer training, WebEx client demos etc. Also hands on doing day to day IT work for internal staff, backups etc.

Prospects are good, I'm not in a super hurry to get another job, so I can see what's around. My wife works so we can still pay the bills.

In the end I got sick of all the travel that was being required of me, and the realization that the guy in charge was not someone I wanted my name associated with. It's a shame, I used to love working there and loved my colleagues, but in the end my reputation and family time had to come first.

Pradeep

Storage? I am Storage!
Got an interview on Thursday for a computer operator job. 500 servers in a datacenter, including some Z series big iron. Actually a drop in pay, but it would be a great experience doing something technically hands-on.

Mercutio

Fatwah on Western Digital
The computer operators I know from the local steel mills are pretty much tape-switchers. Hopefully your job will be a little more challenging, Pradeep.

Pradeep

Storage? I am Storage!
Interview went well. I'll know next week.

It is an entry level type position, mostly monitoring consoles/batches/print jobs etc. But the possibilities for advancement are almost unlimited (workforce of 20,000). And the benefits are sweet (discounted/free education for the kiddies).