Foxconn Kills

time

Storage? I am Storage!

This happened only a week or so after management made all employees sign a declaration that they wouldn't kill themselves.

They're going to fit nets around the building.

This is the underbelly of Apple's profits.

timwhit

Hairy Aussie
Suicide rate in the PRC is 13.9 / 100,000 / year (in 1999).

This Foxconn factory has 420,000 employees, so I'm guessing the rate for Foxconn employees is below the national average. I don't know the time range of these suicides, so I can't calculate this exactly.

jtr1962

Storage? I am Storage!
This is what happens when you treat people like worker ants:

“Foxconn’s production line system is designed so well that no worker will rest even one second during work; they make sure you’re always busy for every second,” says Li Qiang, executive director of the China Labor Watch, a New York-based labor rights group. “Foxconn only values the enterprise benefits but totally ignores the social benefits.”

Sol

Storage is cool
Perhaps the point is that anyone who commits suicide is in breach of contract and no benefits need to be payed to their families or something. (Of course I'd be surprised if the families got benefits anyway but who knows)

More likely though it's much the same as the nets. I saw a quote from someone important at foxconn saying that it was stupid, but there was a chance it'd save someones life. Making someone sign a declaration isn't going to make people more likely to kill themselves so if it makes someone pause just long enough to crash tackle them and get them some help then it's got to be worth it right? Plus you get a short list for counseling if anyone refuses to sign or subsequently sends a query to HR about the affect the declaration has on your employment status if you do kill yourself. (It does make me wonder if the people who tried and failed are still employed)

HR and some of the management who have to try and deal with this are employees too and their conditions are possibly little or no better than the guys on the factory floor. Those guys are going through what has pretty much got to be the most horrible experience in their lives right now so I can kind of forgive them the odd stupid idea.

LunarMist

I can't believe I'm a Fixture
They're going to fit nets around the building.

That reminds me of the Unis in Japan some years ago. People were concerned about being injured by falling bodies so strategically placed netting was emplaced and acces to open areas was restricted. The Japanese have a high suicide rate, but it is more socially acceptable in that culture.

Last edited:

jtr1962

Storage? I am Storage!
The Japanese have a high suicide rate, but it is more socially acceptable in that culture.
It's not only acceptable, but often expected, for a public official who massively screws up to take his/her life for the sake of honor. If BP, for example, were a Japanese company the President would probably have killed himself already. As much as I hate to say it, this concept has a certain appeal. The massively corrupt, or massively incompetent, remove themselves so they can't screw up something else. I guess though there might be some downsides. If the people running New York State, and especially the MTA, suddenly adopted this policy, we would need mass graves.

LunarMist

It is believed that at least some of the suicides were financially motivated. According to various employee accounts families of suicide victims with the company are typically paid between 8.5 and 10 years of pay. Faced with scant salaries, some depressed employees reportedly think they are doing their families a favor by killing themselves.

For 8.5-10 years of pay, I'm surprised more people don't off themselves. It seems like a good deal.

time

Storage? I am Storage!
If BP, for example, were a Japanese company the President would probably have killed himself already.

I think you're mistaken. The Samurai were not lords. Lieutenants were expected to atone, not generals. The exception was where it was used as a form of execution, for example getting rid of a vanquished daimyo to stop further disputes.

Look at the head of Toyota, for example. A member of the Toyoda family, he hasn't shown the faintest sign of wanting to top himself, and frankly, I think you'd struggle to find many precedents.

LunarMist

It's not only acceptable, but often expected, for a public official who massively screws up to take his/her life for the sake of honor.

Have you been in Japan recently? It is changing. The equivalent to the western Generation X have different viewpoints in many areas that their parents and the previous generations.

jtr1962

Storage? I am Storage!
Have you been in Japan recently? It is changing. The equivalent to the western Generation X have different viewpoints in many areas that their parents and the previous generations.
Nope, never been there at all. I just don't have the money or desire to travel. What you say is certainly true, but I have heard of company heads and politicians offing themselves in the past. Those times are probably mostly past though. Nowadays from what I've read Japan is getting to be just like everywhere else, where money is king and everything else is secondary. Don't even get me started on the American culture which is permeating the Far East, destroying the unique character it once had. That's why I'm seeing less and less reason to travel, even if I had the money. I can look at McDonald's in NYC. No need to go halfway around the world.

LunarMist

You have never been to Japan or China or other eastern counties? I've never been to McDonald's in NYC, but it's probably more like a McDonald's in Tarzana.

jtr1962

Storage? I am Storage!
You have never been to Japan or China or other eastern counties? I've never been to McDonald's in NYC, but it's probably more like a McDonald's in Tarzana.
No, like I said, absolutely no money to travel. Going into Manhattan is about all I can manage as far as trips these days. Also, no time for it. I'm not one for flying ( uncomfortable, risky, basically a totally uncivilized way of traveling ), so a trip to the Far East would mean three days on Amtrak to get to the West Coast, then rent a cabin on a freighter across the Pacific ( I think it takes 10 days ). Even if money was no object, that's a good 2 weeks each way just getting there. I'd probably want to spend 2 months at least touring around once there, so figure 3 months total including travel time. I just don't have that kind of time on my hands right now, even if someone else foot the bill. Truth is I might be better off waiting until we have some better means of long distance travel, like maglevs in evacuated tubes which could whisk me to the other side of globe in a couple of hours. With any luck, I'll still be around then, hopefully in good enough shape to travel.

McDonalds in NYC are pretty much like they are everywhere else. A few in Manhattan are two floors, but other than that, not much different.

LunarMist

Well, some of the ones in Japan have 3 floors. :lol:

They are on multiple floors in some European venues too. I've seen McDonald's in Japan, but did not enter.

Eating American fast food in a foreign country is just so wrong. :sunny:

LunarMist

Usain Bolt ate nothing but chicken nuggets before setting the world record in Beijing because he didn't trust the local food.

I was about to ask who that person is, but it is high on the Google. Some cultures either won't eat beef or pork. Chicken seems a safer bet. :reindeer:

LunarMist

Does anyone else make as many devices in the Chinas?

LunarMist

Are there less dead bodies generated by the other manufacturers? It isn't too bad compared to all the deaths from disease and the ever-popular warfare. :study:

Last edited: