FPS in 96kb

sechs

Storage? I am Storage!
For only 96kB, it takes forever to load. And it runs like ass on my machine.

CougTek

Hairy Aussie
Stunning indeed. There are a few bugs left (I got stuck close to a pillar in the fourth room), but it's nonetheless impressive to see what they've been able to pack in such a small footprint.

Sure looks better than Doom too.

Pradeep

Storage? I am Storage!
pno0001.exe has encountered a problem and needs to close. We are sorry for the inconvenience.

Pradeep

Storage? I am Storage!
Serves me right for not looking at the readme. 8MB PCI Rage video just doesn't cut it anymore :cry:

mubs

Storage? I am Storage!
AFAIK, the only way they can have such a small footprint is to write in assembler. Not a trivial task, but the end result can be tiny and very, very fast. Some millenia ago, I learned programming by coding in assembler on a mainframe precursor. For recent examples, see Steve Gibson's site; he's an assembler freak and has written some nifty utilities.

ddrueding

Fixture
Absolutely insane. Ran great on my PC. When I switched to th task manager, it showed the .exe taking up 390MB of RAM and 70% of a A64 3000+ :eek:

timwhit

Hairy Aussie
It just drops back to the desktop for me. But, I only have a Radeon 7000. And since I don't play any games, I won't be upgrading anytime soon.

mubs

Storage? I am Storage!
I downloaded it and read the readme. They claim it ain't assembler. Hmmmm.

Can't play it because my HW specs are way out of requirements. :x

Handruin

Administrator
The game ran ok, and it didn't look as nice as the screen captures, but I was impressed for the size of the game.

I looked at the readme also:

We do .not. have some kind of magical data compression machine that is able to squeeze
hundreds of megabytes of mesh/texture and sound data into 96k. We merely store the
individual steps employed by the artists to produce their textures and meshes, in a very
compact way. This allows us to get .much. higher data density than is achievable with
normal data compression techniques, at some expense in artistic freedom and loading times.
- .kkrieger is not written in 100% assembler/machine language. Not even nearly. Like the
vast majority of game projects being developed today, .kkrieger was mostly written in
C++, with some tiny bits of assembler where it is actually advantageous (notably, there
are a lot of MMX optimisations in the texture generator).
- A kilobyte is, historically, defined to be 1024 (2^10) bytes, not 1000. Thus .kkrieger is
a game in 96k even though it's actually 98304 bytes.
- The concept of the texture/mesh generators was developed by fiver2. We do .not. want to
claim that the techniques we used to develop .kkrieger are new inventions. It´s rather a
selection of useful operations and their parameters to optimise the results.

ddrueding

Fixture
The coolest thing about a game in 96k is that even when you are posted on /. your webserver isn't destroyed.

Remember when the GB+ DARPA videos were posted? :lol: