FreeBSD from scratch

CougTek

Hairy Aussie
After Linux from scratch, here's FreeBSD from scratch. I didn't read it, since I'm not very familiar with FreeBSD to begin with and therefore, I figured I would have a lot of difficulties to grasp everything written there.

However, I know some of you are long time fans of FreeBSD (James and ishan) and I think it might interest some of our other members too.

This article describes my efforts at FreeBSD From Scratch: a fully automated installation of a customized FreeBSD system compiled from source, including compilation of all your favorite ports and configured to match your idea of the perfect system. If you think make world is a wonderful concept, FreeBSD From Scratch extends it to make universe.

ihsan

What is this storage?
Website
ihsan.synthexp.net
Definitely Coug that got my attention. I've been trying to help a friend building an embedded Linux using the LFS method for quite a while now and nowhere did I found good references for FreeBSD for an application. The closest I got was by trimming the kernel and a stripped userland binaries on a Soekris 4511 (many thanks, honold) board.

Thanks.

honold

Storage is cool
eh...

i think this isn't terribly necessary because of the source-based, strippable nature of freebsd. if you need it smaller, you can easily make it smaller. i would just install something into a chroot on an existing system and make a script to nuke everything but the files i wanted.

fwiw, this is a much easier process on openbsd.

you're welcome ihsan ;)