FTC sues Intel...w00t

udaman

Wannabe Storage Freak
http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20091216/ap_on_hi_te/us_tec_intel_ftc_antitrust

In its complaint Wednesday, which was scheduled to be heard in September by an administrative law judge, the FTC said Intel has used both threats and rewards to keep some of the biggest computer makers from buying other companies' chips or marketing computers that carried them. The complaint names Dell Inc., Hewlett-Packard Co., and IBM Corp. as Intel's targets.

The FTC also said Intel has secretly redesigned critical computer software to hinder the performance of other companies' microprocessors, or CPUs.
Although the FTC does not ask for any specific damages in its lawsuit, it wants to force Intel to provide its customers with a substitute software at no additional charge and to compensate them for the cost of distributing the replacement.

In addition, the agency said Intel is looking to extend its dominance into chips that are used to processes graphics, commonly known as GPUs, an area where Intel faces competition from smaller rivals such Nvidia Corp..
"Intel has engaged in a deliberate campaign to hamstring competitive threats to its monopoly," said Richard A. Feinstein, director of the FTC's Bureau of Competition. "It's been running roughshod over the principles of fair play and the laws protecting competition on the merits."

Intel designs software? malicious software? I thought that was the realm of Apple :D

Were is the conspiracy/monopoly theorist? I would have no thought Santilli would be all over this one

Handruin

Administrator
Intel designs software? malicious software? I thought that was the realm of Apple :D

Apple just makes things their own way without regard. Using iTunes is an awful experience that no one should have to endure in order to use their products.

Chewy509

Wotty wot wot.
Don't know the exact details, but may be related to the Intel C Compiler, and it's ability to produce multiple code paths, any of which can be executed depending on the installed CPU at runtime.

eg,
If I have a non-Intel CPU, it will execute the "fail-safe" code path. (no use of FPU, MMX, SSE, etc).
If I have an Intel P3 w/SSE, then execute the code path that can use SSE.
If I have an Intel Core 2 w/SSE3, then execute the code path that can use SSE3.
If I have an Intel i7 w/SSE4, then execute the code path that can use SSE4.

The complaint, being that even though your AMD CPU has SSE3 extensions, they will never be used, as the code generated by ICC will always go the fail-safe route with non-Intel hardware.

Unfortunately, the failsafe code is always the slowest, as many operations that can be dealt with by SSE extensions in a quicker manner are not used. Thus making Intel CPUs running code generated by ICC quicker than the competition, even though the competitions CPU may be quicker if those extensions are used. (It's like having both hands tied behind your back in a race).

Since ICC is a critical software in the building of other software, that may be what FTC are referring to.

But without the details, it's hard to say, and I could be totally wrong.

LunarMist

I can't believe I'm a Fixture
Apple just makes things their own way without regard. Using iTunes is an awful experience that no one should have to endure in order to use their products.

I've never used the Apple gear. I have many Sandisk mp3 devices.

Handruin

Administrator
Their former iPod shuffle (not the new one) is one of the best for running/working out IMHO. It's tiny, light, built-in clip, extremely simple to operate, and inexpensive. If I could find something comparable, I'd consider it.

Pradeep

Storage? I am Storage!
So this is in addition to the bags of cash they gave to Dell, that NY State has filed suit about? Crippling the compiler seems like a continuation of their pattern of illegal behaviour.

LunarMist

I can't believe I'm a Fixture
Their former iPod shuffle (not the new one) is one of the best for running/working out IMHO. It's tiny, light, built-in clip, extremely simple to operate, and inexpensive. If I could find something comparable, I'd consider it.

Lately I use the 8GB Sansa Clip+, which also has a micro SDHC slot. It's quite small/light and I tested the battery to last >12 hours. That's good enough for almost all single-leg flights. For $60 it is justifiably disposable in a couple of years.

Handruin

Administrator
It looks decent, but it's still about twice as large as the shuffle. I can get about 10-12 hours out of my shuffle which is very usable. It's nice that you can put a micro SD card in yours and there is an actual screen. I don't really need either of those for what I use mine for. If/when mine dies, I'll take a look at that.