Getting a life

i

Wannabe Storage Freak
Hey there Mercutio. Sorry to hear about your recent (and ongoing) troubles. I really hope things improve for you soon.

Actually the reason I (and my cohorts) haven't been around here much over the past month or so is because I'm trying to develop a life of sorts ... but that's another story.

As everyone else is offering "meeting people" advice, I'll add mine:

Go to a bookstore. Preferably a large one with a cafe (that'll make things easier), although a nice small one with a cafe very close by might be ok. Peruse the store. Take your time (it's best if you can afford a couple of hours for this). Get used to the surroundings enough that you're relaxed there. Maybe try a specialty coffee in the cafe. If getting used to the place takes a few trips, that's fine.

When you're cool with the store itself, start paying attention to the other people in the store with you.

If you see someone interesting, take a look at what category of books they're looking at. Consider the possibility that it's one of those subjects you've always wondered about, but never really found an easy way into understanding. With that in mind, say something like, "excuse me, but do you know anything about winemaking?" (or whatever subject they're looking at) "My aunt lost her job recently and has been wondering about starting her own wine business ... but it seems like such a big task, and she really doesn't have much information about what's involved. Can you by any chance suggest a good book?" Say something like that in as honest a fashion as possible (this is why it's best to have picked a subject you really don't know much about, but really would like to know about). Remember to smile whenever convenient. :)

If they reply with, "Oh, I don't work here, I can't really say," it could be a polite way of telling you they're not interested in chit-chat. Or, more likely, it's because you've caught them off guard. Keep the conversation going with something like, "Oh well the staff here are really nice and they try to be helpful, but I've been coming here off and on for a year or so and I always find that they don't really know much about the subject matter. I'm really not sure I'd trust their knowledge of vineyards and wineries. Besides, I always find it great to get an honest opinion from someone other than those who are actually selling the books, you know?" Doing that will get the other person into "conversation mode" AND it will give them the time they need to put some thoughts together. :)

If at that point they say, "No, sorry, I really don't think I can help," then thank them and continue looking through the books. Call it a day at that point if you want, or try again with someone else later.

BUT, if the person does reply with some good advice (remember this can be on any topic of your choosing) then just try and keep the conversation going in an honest fashion. If you can't, don't worry about it! This is the important part Mercutio: if you can even get a paragraph's worth of conversation from a stranger, you're DOING REALLY WELL. :) There's no hurry here! Try again later, either that day or maybe next month - whatever you feel up to. Chances are that, if you try this a few times - even if it takes you two years - eventually you'll land a topic that you're interested in, and you'll found someone who is very willing to talk about it.

Once you've got the conversation rolling, this is where the location kicks in. When you've talked for a few minutes, while the conversation is still going strong, ask if you can take the conversation over to the cafe and buy them a coffee. There could not possibly be a less imposing way of getting someone to talk to you at a table. :) They're practically already there! Remember, just ask honestly. If they say no, it's not some kind of tragedy. Like I say, even a paragraph of conversation with a stranger is a good thing! Just smile and say ok and either continue the conversation or move on, depending on how things are at that point.

I've said to choose a topic you don't know much about because people (males and females alike) are more likely to start a conversation with you if A) you're looking for help, and B) they're in a conversation where from the start the assumption is that they know more about the topic than you. But as I say, the topic you start with is your own choice. Also remember to pick a topic you're genuinely interested in - honesty is easier to display when, well, when it's honest. Also, think ahead about the topic. If you can bring up the conversation in the context of it's you looking for information for your mother, or your elderly neighbor, then you immediately get a few brownie points because you're apparently a nice person who cares about others. Also, you can bring up people you know who are involved in the topic to make the conversation more interesting, saying something like, "I have a friend who lives in Australia who recently started his own vineyard - he suggested a bookstore would be the best place to start looking for information." You know. That sort of thing. Bringing in more items to the conversation allows for more tangents ... for example the other person might then say, "Oh really? My parents are from Australia. Where exactly in Australia does your friend live?" You never know. Sometimes the conversation just takes on a life of its own, and sometimes it doesn't. There's nothing wrong with either result. :)

You can absolutely handle conversations like that Mercutio. I have total faith in you there - I've been reading StorageReview and StorageForum for ... geez ... maybe 3 years now? There is no doubt in my mind that people would be interested in meeting you - YOU JUST NEED SOME EXPOSURE. :) And some confidence. And the understanding that it takes time, and that one or more cases where things don't go spectacularly is just more practice - not a bad thing. :)

Try a bookstore. That's my vote. :)

alpha754293

What is this storage?
Mercutio said:
BTW Alpha, I was a master at handling relationship stuff most guys aren't good at. Very romantic, very sensitive, remember important dates, handwritten notes of affection, gifts for no reason, that sort of thing. Hilariously, even though I can't really dress myself, Amy used to take me on shopping trips with her friends because I'm really, really good at finding clothes that are *perfect* (color, fit, style) for other people.

That stuff is all well and good (and possibly freakish, knowing the stereotype) when you're in a relationship. It doesn't matter much outside of one.

it's not written to say that you're bad at it or anything. I mean...what would I know right?? I actually wrote that for a couple of my friends, and also based on my personal experiences too (cuz I'm also like you in that regard.) In fact, not to toot my own horn or whatever, but I've had girls tell me that me ability to recall tidbits of conversation (especially the details) surprises a LOT of girls/women. As if I'm actually paying attention, even though it may seem like I don't.

Scary how much I can actually remember.

Besides that thing that I wrote is just for some good reading...or at least I hope so.

Mercutio

Fatwah on Western Digital
Joined match.com. Found someone (out of the four matches) who sounds like a person I could have a really good time meeting. Found out it'll cost me $25 to e-mail her. Argh.

Pets in parks, you say? Bookstores?

P5-133XL

Xmas '97
Mercutio said:
Joined match.com. Found someone (out of the four matches) who sounds like a person I could have a really good time meeting. Found out it'll cost me $25 to e-mail her. Argh.

Pets in parks, you say? Bookstores?

Try looking at what you like to do in your spare time (your interests). Then look for a club/organization/institution/class that you can participate in. The point is to find women with similar interests and start your persuit there. Pets in parks are fine, if you are interested in pets. Books are fine if you are literary. However, don't limit yourself to these: Be creative

Prof.Wizard

Wannabe Storage Freak
Mercutio said:
Joined match.com.
Do these things work?

When I was back home in high-school, my father used to tell me (when I sat for many hours in front of the PC):
"Virtual sex is cool, but the real thing is even better!"...

I hope you can use this site to initiate a physical contact, not only an e-one.

NRG = mc²

Storage is cool
<lurk mode>

I like your dad, Prof. What did your mum have to say about that?

</lurk mode>

Mercutio

That's the idea, Prof. I figure if I wanted to be lied to in probably every imaginable way, a good old fashioned chat site or IRC would be fine. This way I at least have some hope that the information I'm being provided is correct.

Besides, a personals service worked for Amy the first time she tried it. Maybe it will for me, too.

jtr1962

Storage? I am Storage!
Prof.Wizard said:
Mercutio said:
Joined match.com.
Do these things work?

I wonder about that myself. I've looked at loads of these since I've been on the Internet, and I have yet to find someone I would be interested in meeting(both from a physical appearance and personality perspective). I guess they work sometimes, though. My sister met her husband through a newspaper personal ad, and they're stilled married after nine years.

Mercutio, you've never mentioned what's more important to you-physical appearance, personality, interests, etc. I'm sure they all are, but what are your particular priorities in those departments?

One possibility I'm surprised nobody here mentioned was that it is entirely possible in the course of getting out more that you will be approached by someone of the opposite sex, so that you won't have to make that awkward first move. This has happened to me enough times when I've gone out, including once when I was near the WTC on July 4 for the fireworks with my mother. My mom actually offered to disappear if I was interested, but she really wasn't my type. Anyway, I'm just pointing out that it is becoming socially acceptable for the female to initiate contact nowadays as well. I think I actually prefer that way. I'm awful at initiating contact, but once that is done I can hold a conversation with a stranger for hours. Additionally, if I'm not interested, I'm the one who does the rejecting, rather than getting rejected. That's a little advantage the girls have had for years. ;) BTW, I've never been rude in my rejections, in fact I've never even had to push the point. Sometimes I'll just talk for a few minutes, and then mention I have an appointment and how nice it was chatting. No hurt feelings, everyone goes away happy. Just a shame I've never met anyone I'd care to have relationship with this way, yet.

Mercutio

Heterosexuality is really high on my list of priorities. :)

I like the same basic things everybody else likes: I like smart, funny, compassionate and honest people. I'd really like to find someone who is different in a lot of ways from me. It's easy for me to get stuck in a rut otherwise. Physically - and this is shallow - I like slender/petite types.
I want to find someone a bit more feminine than Amy was - Amy never wore dresses or make-up, and someone who doesn't mind that I'm not exactly a stereotypical guy.

I've never been "approached" by anyone, ever.

jtr1962

Storage? I am Storage!
Prof.Wizard said:
Mercutio said:
I've been. And sucks... especially if you're NOT interested as in my case... :-?

I agree. I assume you mean by girls you weren't interested in, and not guys. :) I've never been approached by a guy, thankfully. I'm not quite sure exactly how I'd deal with that, especially if he was bigger/stronger than me, and pushing the issue.

jtr1962

Storage? I am Storage!
Mercutio said:
Heterosexuality is really high on my list of priorities. :)

I like the same basic things everybody else likes: I like smart, funny, compassionate and honest people. I'd really like to find someone who is different in a lot of ways from me. It's easy for me to get stuck in a rut otherwise. Physically - and this is shallow - I like slender/petite types.
I want to find someone a bit more feminine than Amy was - Amy never wore dresses or make-up, and someone who doesn't mind that I'm not exactly a stereotypical guy.

It is more interesting if you have differences, although I suppose if you're too different then it won't work. My parents are a perfect example of exact opposites, and they fight all the time.

I don't think liking a certain physical type is shallow, Mercutio. Some people can get turned on by a wide range of types, others only a few, and I think you're born that way. I happen to fall in the latter category, so no matter how great the personality, if the person isn't my type, the relationship can never be anything more than friends. And unfortunately, the particular type I go for is relatively uncommon, so I'm still single. Interestingly, I actually don't like dresses or makeup that much. I think females look better in pants, and most of the types I tend to like look good even with no make up(especially the one I mentioned earlier :) ).

I'm really surprised you've never been approached. I would say if you get out enough it'll happen sooner or later. Of course, the people approaching you may not be what you had in mind, but that's par for the course(I've been approached by more aggressive panhandlers than females :eek: ). Anyway, whatever way you try to meet someone, best of luck to you and keep us up to date. :) I just want to add that I've felt your pain from the moment you told us about your problems, and I've been where you are now(I still am to an extent). Amazing how once you share a problem you find out you're not the only one with that problem, isn't it?

Tannin

Storage? I am Storage!
Website
www.redhill.net.au
I used to get approached by girls from time to time. That was back when I was young, worked as a tram conductor (i.e., meeting the public all day long) and had great legs.On one particular, never to be forgotten day, I was asked out by three different girls in the space of four or five hours. The third time, I though "oh, to hell with it" and said yes.

That particular relationship was ... um ... interesting.

Prof.Wizard

Wannabe Storage Freak
Prof.Wizard said:
Mercutio said:
I've been. And sucks... especially if you're NOT interested as in my case... :-?
Oh jeez... :oops:
it's one of those embarrassing moments you say one thing while meaning another.

Let me clear it out: I'm straight male who doesn't like to be approached by the same sex

Groltz

My demeaning user rank is
Prof.Wizard said:
Let me clear it out: I'm straight male who doesn't like to be approached by the same sex

Sounds like a guilty conscience, PW. Maybe somebody can round you up a 3-dollar-bill for your birthday. :wink:

Prof.Wizard

Wannabe Storage Freak
Oh no... am I losing my reputation here or something?! :(

It was a misundestanding. I wrote what I wrote cause I thought Mercutio meant "never approached by men"...
It's the damn English language that lacks subject sexes that created the problem. French, Italian, Greek, German, etc... all have sexes.

PS. I may be a gym guy, but I'm going for me there... not to "look"... :roll:

Fushigi

Storage Is My Life
Prof.Wizard said:
Mercutio said:
Joined match.com.
Do these things work?
Well, my friend who just got married this past weekend met his bride through a dating service. It wasn't an online service; just the more traditional type.

For me, my ex-wife introduced me to my bride-to-be.

Mercutio, come to my wedding reception in August in Michigan City. We hope to have between 100 - 250 people of all ages (2 months - 80 years). Food, dancing, and all the stuff that normally happens at receptions. More than trying to find someone, it would offer a decent place to mingle and chat with people. Sharpen the social skills. If nothing else, there will be an open bar!

Any other SF members in the area are invited as well .. just drop me an email and I'll send the time & directions. Spouses & children are welcome.

- Fushigi

Tannin

Storage? I am Storage!
Website
www.redhill.net.au
That is a very generous invitation, John. Thankyou. :) I'll be 10,000 miles away, same as usual, but perhaps you would be kind enough to invite Tea in my stead. (Being imaginary, she can travel very cheaply and at the speed of thought.) She is also very good at stacking up the drunks neatly when they pass out and if you are pushed for room she doesn't mind sleeping in any convenient tree.

Cliptin

Wannabe Storage Freak
Website
www.whstrain.us
Groltz said:
Prof.Wizard said:

Sounds like a guilty conscience, PW. Maybe somebody can round you up a 3-dollar-bill for your birthday. :wink:

Sounds abit Fruedian to me.
It's when you say one thing and mean your mother.

Cliptin

Wannabe Storage Freak
Website
www.whstrain.us
Fushigi said:
Prof.Wizard said:
Mercutio said:
Joined match.com.
Do these things work?
Well, my friend who just got married this past weekend met his bride through a dating service. It wasn't an online service; just the more traditional type.

For me, my ex-wife introduced me to my bride-to-be.

Mercutio, come to my wedding reception in August in Michigan City. We hope to have between 100 - 250 people of all ages (2 months - 80 years). Food, dancing, and all the stuff that normally happens at receptions. More than trying to find someone, it would offer a decent place to mingle and chat with people. Sharpen the social skills. If nothing else, there will be an open bar!

Any other SF members in the area are invited as well .. just drop me an email and I'll send the time & directions. Spouses & children are welcome.

- Fushigi

hmmm... August would be about the right time for another road trip. What's the date?

Fushigi

Storage Is My Life
Cliptin said:
Fushigi said:
hmmm... August would be about the right time for another road trip. What's the date?
August 10. Wedding @ 2PM CST, reception from 4-11PM.

The wedding is outside in a gazebo so there's little seating available. We are restricting the wedding to close family members. But the reception hall can handle 200+ with no problem. We will have activity books for the children and they can always join the dancing. Food will include vegetarian options in addition to entrees designed for omnivores.

- Fushigi

Fushigi

Storage Is My Life
Tannin said:
That is a very generous invitation, John. Thankyou. :) I'll be 10,000 miles away, same as usual, but perhaps you would be kind enough to invite Tea in my stead. (Being imaginary, she can travel very cheaply and at the speed of thought.) She is also very good at stacking up the drunks neatly when they pass out and if you are pushed for room she doesn't mind sleeping in any convenient tree.
Tea is certainly welcome. I'm sure she'd be a hit with the kids.

As required by local law, since we will be serving alcohol & are not a bar by trade, we will have a law enforcement officer on hand in case anyone gets rowdy. I don't anticipate any problems but you never know what'll happen if someone has a bit too much to drink.

The reception hall is on a wooded lot that also has a pond. I imagine she'd like it a lot unless the mosquitoes are biting that evening.

Tea, come on over!

- Fushigi

Bartender

Storage is cool
Website
www.mittelsmann.net
No worries Fushigi, I'll be careful how much alcohol I serve. If anyone gets out of hand, I'll pry Tea away from the kids and have her tactfully remove the offender from the premises. There is no need for the police officer to act like a bouncer - he should enjoy the reception.

It is fantastic of you to invite the whole lot here at StorageForum to your wedding. Thank.

Mercutio

I just might go, Fushigi. Near as I can recall it'll only be the second time SR/SF members who don't know each other will have met each other (Wasn't there an Ian/Pradeep meeting?).

I don't know if I'm up to a wedding reception filled with people I don't know, but then, that's just like every other wedding reception I've been to (er, both of them), so maybe it won't be so bad.

Thanks for the invitation in either case. :)

Cliptin

Wannabe Storage Freak
Website
www.whstrain.us
Mercutio said:
I just might go, Fushigi. Near as I can recall it'll only be the second time SR/SF members who don't know each other will have met each other (Wasn't there an Ian/Pradeep meeting?).

I don't know if I'm up to a wedding reception filled with people I don't know, but then, that's just like every other wedding reception I've been to (er, both of them), so maybe it won't be so bad.

Thanks for the invitation in either case. :)

Merc, jtr and I met.

In a room of 200 people you have the chance to get lost in the crowd or not. I'm kinda sorry I posted my picture now. I don't get the chance for Fushigi to try to figure out "who that guy is on the table."

jtr1962

Storage? I am Storage!
Tannin said:
On one particular, never to be forgotten day, I was asked out by three different girls in the space of four or five hours.

Now that never happened to me. I guess when it rains it pours. If nothing else, you meet a lot of people on a job like that, and you can always use the standard "I'm not allowed to fraternize with passengers" line if you're not interested, or if you are, you just quietly slip them your number. :)

Mercutio

Forgot about that one. Apologies to both of you.

There's quite a number of us concentrated in the Midwestern US, as I think about it. Of course there are probably many concentrated even more on the West Coast of the US. Perhaps there could be a meeting someday...

adriel

Learning Storage Performance
My diagnosis is, the time you spent with your pornographic materials has warped your psyche and left you a recluse, unable to cope with the real world.

NRG = mc²

Storage is cool
My diagnosis is, the time you spent with your pornographic materials has warped your psyche and left you a recluse, unable to cope with the real world.

Yeah right! :evil:

Mercutio

I was a recluse a long time before I started looking at dirty pictures, adriel. Social anxiety is a very real thing for me. It can make me physically ill at times. THAT made me a recluse.

Bartender

Storage is cool
Website
www.mittelsmann.net
Regardless of what made you a recluse, and the results of that, it is time to move on. As hard as it may seem (and I have some experience with this, Buck doesn't sit here every evening because he's a ladies man), please take the initiative.