Getting PowerDVD to play Bluray on XP Pro, or, I got it to work, but don't know why?

Santilli

Hairy Aussie
Today I spent most of the day working on getting Bluray to play on the HTPC. Athlon X2 3800+ 2 gigs ram, Vertex Turbo boot, SATA drive for Bluray images, Sparkle 9600 video card, 2 gigs VRAM, Plextor External Bluray player. Power DVD 10, 8, Any DVD HD,
VLC, Explosion 7.1 sound card, etc.

I started with PowerDVD 10 loaded. Tried loading an iso, but, it kept say prohibited, and black screened. Didn't play. Searched a bunch of forums, and, another guy got his to work by uninstalling, and reinstalling.

So, Plextor Bluray player off the beast, plugged in. Used the Plextor software to update the firmware. Still no joy. Appears that something can't read ISO's mounted by Virtual Clone Drive.

Uninstalled the PDVD 10 install, and loaded the Bluray Suite from Cyberlink that came with the BRPlayer. Installed and updated PDVD8. Now it sees bluray's both in Iso and actual disks in the player. However, it claims the DVD player is region 3(It's not, it's region 1) and that the disk I have of XMen will not play because it's region 3.

Restarted, installed Any DVD HD, and now everything works.
I can conjecture on why it works, but it does.

Also, Plextor's utility gave me the green light on having all the proper components to play Blurays.

I was reading one of the threads about buying an appliance to do this, but, with the constant software updates, and changing security stuff, I really wonder if the Bluray makers are going to make it difficult to buy a device, and have it continue to work for any length of time. Or, perhaps like DVD players, it's possible to get one that works, and just keeps on working, regardless of security updates?

TV is a 40" Westinghouse, that is fairly unimpressive when compared to the Vizio 37" in the other room.

ddrueding

Fixture
Sounds like HDCP or other protection issues. This is why it is a good idea to strip the protections as early and often as possible. I used to use AnyDVD HD, now I use MakeMKV.

Pradeep

Storage? I am Storage!
Today I spent most of the day working on getting Bluray to play on the HTPC. Athlon X2 3800+ 2 gigs ram, Vertex Turbo boot, SATA drive for Bluray images, Sparkle 9600 video card, 2 gigs VRAM, Plextor External Bluray player. Power DVD 10, 8, Any DVD HD,
VLC, Explosion 7.1 sound card, etc.

I started with PowerDVD 10 loaded. Tried loading an iso, but, it kept say prohibited, and black screened. Didn't play. Searched a bunch of forums, and, another guy got his to work by uninstalling, and reinstalling.

So, Plextor Bluray player off the beast, plugged in. Used the Plextor software to update the firmware. Still no joy. Appears that something can't read ISO's mounted by Virtual Clone Drive.

Uninstalled the PDVD 10 install, and loaded the Bluray Suite from Cyberlink that came with the BRPlayer. Installed and updated PDVD8. Now it sees bluray's both in Iso and actual disks in the player. However, it claims the DVD player is region 3(It's not, it's region 1) and that the disk I have of XMen will not play because it's region 3.

Restarted, installed Any DVD HD, and now everything works.
I can conjecture on why it works, but it does.

Also, Plextor's utility gave me the green light on having all the proper components to play Blurays.

I was reading one of the threads about buying an appliance to do this, but, with the constant software updates, and changing security stuff, I really wonder if the Bluray makers are going to make it difficult to buy a device, and have it continue to work for any length of time. Or, perhaps like DVD players, it's possible to get one that works, and just keeps on working, regardless of security updates?

TV is a 40" Westinghouse, that is fairly unimpressive when compared to the Vizio 37" in the other room.

Monoprice has flat 30 foot HDMI cables for $27. You will be able to set the DVD region in Windows Control Panel->Device manager. It's one of the tabs. You will likely have a limited number of changes, there is region free firmware for some drives to get unlimited changes.