Gigabit networking (over copper)

i

Wannabe Storage Freak
Is it worth it in a home environment yet? If so, what are your thoughts on good network cards, and switches?

CougTek

Hairy Aussie
i said:
Is it worth it in a home environment yet?
About as much as 15Krpm SCSI drives, rackmounts, dual CPU systems and Windows 2K Advanced Server.

If you don't have all the above, God knows how you'll ever be able to use IE and check your mail.

blakerwry

Storage? I am Storage!
Website
justblake.com
I think it's on the edge.. it just depends on your patience really. I would think if you just had 2 computers something like USB2 or firewire would be faster than 100Mbit and cheaper than gigabit at the same time.

But no matter what, if I was installing wire I would use cat6 or better so that I would be ready to make the jump to gigabit even if I was implementing a 10/100 at the time.

i

Wannabe Storage Freak
CougTek said:
i said:
Is it worth it in a home environment yet?
About as much as 15Krpm SCSI drives, rackmounts, dual CPU systems and Windows 2K Advanced Server.

If you don't have all the above, God knows how you'll ever be able to use IE and check your mail.

Hah. Can you read my mind, Cougtek?
- No 15K rpm SCSI drive, but I have a 10K rpm.
- I'm ordering a 40U rack (complete with casters!) for my kitchen on Monday.
- I'm using a dual PII 400MHz system right now.
- No way I'll be touching Windows "Server" anything at home, though. I may have to give in and get Windows XP for one testing system, but I'm going to try really hard and make do with the Windows 98SE that I have lying around first.

The real reason I'm considering gigabit ethernet is for the benefit of my x-terminal setup. I'm in love with this arrangement (there's a completely silent system here in front of me powering my 19" monitor, with a noisy SCSI system hidden away in the kitchen).

As always, I'm considering my options for improving the setup. There's a slight delay sometimes between triggering an event and actually seeing the results on the screen (such as bringing up a new window ... it can take an extra split-second for the window to be painted). And fast moving graphics in anything beyond small windows are really not worth trying.

I'm running the x-terminal at 1280x1024. I'm not sure what the bottleneck is: maybe the server (dual PII 400MHz), or maybe the terminal (Pentium 133MHz with an older ATI PCI graphics card). I figured trying out gigabit network cards in the server and the terminal might be the easiest thing to try.