Got a 7200.7 when bought a Barracuda ATAIV.

CougTek

Hairy Aussie
I bought a respectable amount of computer parts last week in order to upgrade/replace/sell my computer park. Among these parts was a Barracuda ATA IV 40GB (there was a sale on it and I only needed storage, not speed). When I received my order, I was gladly surprised to see that my ATA IV was in fact a 7200.7, but with a small sticker from the seller (NCIX.com) identifying it as an ATA IV. Better STR for free.

Anyone else noticed if it's a general trend or if this one was only a mistake? There are still a lot of stores offering the ATA IV, but I doubt Seagate still manufactures it as it is two generations old. My guess is that most drives advertised as being ATA IV or ATA V are probably 7200.7 sold under the older model names in reality.

I still need two nForce2 motherboards, two pieces of RAM and two graphic cards before selling some of my old boxes and powering the new ones. Bad news is that I won't be able to sell my current most powerful box (Athlon XP Palomino 1500+) since the Soltek motherboard (SL-75DRV2) has at least 4 capacitors that started to bulge. Although the board is still very reliable, I would look silly to sell a system with capacitors looking as if they are about to blow up. Too bad, I'm sure I could have had at least 550$CDN for the whole box.

e_dawg

Storage Freak
I am noticing this as a general trend. Stores often neglect to update their webpages, and some aren't even aware of the 3 generations of drives appearing within the same year. Often, I will have to go to the store myself and inspect the drive before I tell them that this isn't a Cuda IV or V -- it is a 7200.7 (which I don't want because it is slightly noisier, doesn't have the SeaShield, and seeks slightly slower).

But anyways, how was your purchasing experience with NCIX? Do you use them regularly? They have become my online retailer of choice over the past year or so.

CougTek

Hairy Aussie
e_dawg said:
I will have to go to the store myself and inspect the drive before I tell them that this isn't a Cuda IV or V -- it is a 7200.7 (which I don't want because it is slightly noisier, doesn't have the SeaShield, and seeks slightly slower).
Mine came in a SeaShield.

e_dawg said:
But anyways, how was your purchasing experience with NCIX? Do you use them regularly? They have become my online retailer of choice over the past year or so.
I've always had good exeriences with NCIX.com. Shipping took a week, via Purolator (the cheapest since I had two enclosures on that ordr and Puro charges less for heavy packages). I probably buy from them every two or three months.

e_dawg

Storage Freak

e_dawg

Storage Freak
I wonder why they changed the design (albeit, the addition of a SeaShield must be a very simple modification)... maybe customers complained that it wasn't as quiet as the legendary Cuda IV and V's in operation?

e_dawg

Storage Freak
What I'm trying to say is that there must have been a compelling reason to do so, as they purposely left the SeaShield out of the original design of the 7200.7 (the first lots of 7200.7's all came without SeaShields) presumably to save cost...

Prof.Wizard

Wannabe Storage Freak
e_dawg said:
...they purposely left the SeaShield out of the original design of the 7200.7 (the first lots of 7200.7's all came without SeaShields) presumably to save cost...
...or lower heat.

e_dawg

Storage Freak
Yes, the removal of the SeaShield would lower heat as well, but I don't think heat is a problem for 7200 rpm drives these days. If it were a 15k drive, I can see how better dissipation of heat without the shield would be useful, but a 7200 rpm drive? Hmm...