Got to play with a new iMac today

Mercutio

Fatwah on Western Digital
One of Amy's friends from school was having problems with her iMac.

Stupid problems, as in she didn't know to work OS X. So I had to show her how to get the OS9 personality going so things looked more familiar to her (once I figured it out).

Anyway, she let me take the bottom off the base. I wanted to see the inside. Interesting design. Basically, the only things that you can get to (easily) are the DIMM slots and the hard disk (Western Digital 400BB, I think). You basically have to set the thing flat on its monitor to take it apart.

I thought it was a nice little box. The keyboard wasn't that nice, but the monitor and base were really a lot more solid than I'd thought from looking at pictures.

NRG = mc²

Storage is cool
Hey, at least they put a 7.2k drive in there rather than 5.4... which is more than can be said about crapaq et all :wink:

Pradeep

Storage? I am Storage!
My next door neighbour got a g4 iMac ( the bid range model with combo drive). OS 9.2 performance was fine, but then she said she wanted all the pretty effects of OS X, so I rebooted in that. Performance is absolutely pathetic, any kind of window resizing makes me think i'm using a 386. And clicking on Outlook Express? Takes at least 40 secs for "Classic" mode to start up, if not longer. This on a machine with 256MB ram. All prettiness, no performance. Quite similar to winXP really :(

Pradeep

Storage? I am Storage!
Prof.Wizard said:
Why is OS X so slow?

Basically there is no hardware acceleration of the graphics used, as opposed to Windows where nearly everything is done by the 2D hardware in your video chip. Also, it is still basically in beta, with speed improvements with every new point release. I guess by the end of the year they should have it running OK :roll:

Prof.Wizard

Wannabe Storage Freak
Pradeep said:
Prof.Wizard said:
Why is OS X so slow?

Basically there is no hardware acceleration of the graphics used...
Shame on them! Is this so difficult to implement? Jeez, a 21st-century OS without hardware acceleration...

I guess by the end of the year they should have it running OK :roll:
Yeah, their development department is really slow...

Barry K. Nathan

What is this storage?
Apple IIgs all over again, in some ways

Prof.Wizard said:
Why is OS X so slow?

Limited hardware acceleration of graphics (I don't think it's absolutely zero -- IIRC it's supported to some extent on some cards). I've heard that the reason this is supported so badly right now is that they want to make the graphics acceleration super-stable so nobody's "lickable" user interfaces show any glitches.

Speaking of "lickable" UIs, that Aqua UI adds lots of overhead too.

Mac OS X also uses far more memory than, say, XP. With XP and 256MB of RAM I've never seen more than a few hundred MB (probably far less) of swap in use. With Mac OS X and 512MB of RAM I've sometimes seen a few gigabytes of swap in use. (That was with Mac OS 10.0.x; 10.1.x is a lot better but still quite bad.)

I've also heard rumors of ancient "serialization" code in the kernel that people are reluctant to touch; rumor has it that this is causing the kernel to become a performance bottleneck.

More succinctly, in some ways Mac OS X was released before its time. For my needs it's clearly better than Mac OS 9, even at this stage, but it still needs some more time to mature.

As I write this, I'm getting a really weird "deja vu" feeling...

Once upon a time Apple had a ridiculously slow operating system called ProDOS 16. (This was the 16-bit version of an 8-bit operating system called ProDOS which was, in comparison, far faster.) One reason ProDOS 16 was slow was that it brought eye candy (640x200 res. 4 color (dithered to 16 color) or 320x200 res. 256 color GUI, even including some primitive shadow effects on buttons and menus) to a machine with a 2.8MHz CPU that, for the sake of backward compatibility, would slow down to 1MHz when accessing certain memory areas and hardware devices. (OTOH, it had an onboard Ensoniq [swallowed up by Creative Labs a few years back] sound card that was unbelievable for the time (1986 or '87). If I remember correctly, the sound on Macs was inferior until 1993 or so.)

Anyway, the IIgs was blazing fast compared to its 1MHz-all-the-time predecessors when it was running 8-bit code. The 16-bit operating system was held back by eye candy however.

For many years there were rumors of a "ProDOS 16 2.0" that would be much better. What actually came out was GS/OS 1.0 (known more commonly as Apple IIgs System Software 4.0). (The machine and the OS were actually named after the eye [and ear] candy, if you think about it: GS stood for "Graphics and Sound".) The main differences between it and ProDOS 16 were (a) it had much faster disk I/O (b) it required newer firmware on your SCSI card, which meant a trip to your Apple II dealer because Apple II SCSI cards didn't have flashable firmware, and (c) it introduced a lot of incompatibilities.

Next came GS/OS 2.0 (System Software 5.0). It brought massive speed improvements. Massive meaning 800-1600% performance increases for some things (like window scrolling and menu bar stuff). Upgrading to GS/OS 2.0 alone sometimes brought bigger speed increases than a CPU upgrade (which brought you from 2.8MHz to 7MHz).

Around 1992 or '93, GS/OS 3.0 (System Software 6.0) brought some more improvments, including support for the HFS filesystem (Apple now calls it the "Mac OS Standard" filesystem). This meant filenames could now be 31 characters max. instead of 15, and partitions on SCSI hard drives could now be 2GB, as opposed to the previous limit of 32MB. There were some other small but cool features that the Mac didn't get until later on, although I forget what they were. (Oh, wait, I just remembered one: The "sound themes" feature that was added in Mac OS 8 was introduced on the Apple IIgs in GS/OS 3.0 -- that's a gap of several years.)

Anyway, I guess my point is, Apple introduced a slow eye-candy OS in the past and managed to speed it up considerably. Let's see if they pull it off again. Oh, wait, I forgot one other point: the memory consumption went up over time (you could get by with 512KB of RAM for ProDOS 16, you needed at least 768KB for GS/OS 1.0 if I remember correctly, and by GS/OS 3.0 1.25MB of RAM was an unbearably small amount of RAM. I remember upgrading to 4.25MB of RAM (0.25MB on motherboard, 4MB on proprietary-interface memory card that had SIMM slots on it) for $600 or so. More would have been better except I would have needed to disable DMA on my SCSI card and that would cut the SCSI STR from 1024KB/sec to 512KB/sec.)

I suppose we're at the "faster I/O, but my SCSI card needs new firmware, there are tons of incompatibilities, and I need more RAM" phase at this point. ;) If history repeats itself more closely than I'd expect or like, a few years from now Apple will be shipping Macs with 1GB of RAM onboard, expandable to 4GB, and the only reason 1GB will be enough is because there will be a few hundred MB of Mac OS X code included in onboard non-volatile solid state storage and executed in place. (Later Apple IIgs's shipped with 1.25MB of RAM onboard, instead of 0.25MB, and the ROM (analogous to a PC's BIOS) was (IIRC) doubled from 128KB to 256KB so that parts of GS/OS could be stuffed in there.) On the other hand, Mac OS X will be blazingly fast even on older hardware at that point, if your older Mac can take 1.5GB of RAM (some can, at least in theory) and you max it out. :mrgrn:

CougTek

Hairy Aussie
Re: Apple IIgs all over again, in some ways

Barry K. Nathan said:
Mac OS X also uses far more memory than, say, XP. With XP and 256MB of RAM I've never seen more than a few hundred MB (probably far less) of swap in use. With Mac OS X and 512MB of RAM I've sometimes seen a few gigabytes of swap in use. (That was with Mac OS 10.0.x; 10.1.x is a lot better but still quite bad.)

I've also heard rumors of ancient "serialization" code in the kernel that people are reluctant to touch; rumor has it that this is causing the kernel to become a performance bottleneck.
More bloated than WinXP :eekers: ...I have to see that to believe.

Barry K. Nathan

What is this storage?
http://www.apple.com/macosx/newversion/
Quartz Extreme
Jaguar dramatically improves the performance of Mac OS X with Quartz Extreme hardware-based graphics acceleration. Quartz Extreme takes advantage of the OpenGL 3D graphics engine to make the entire desktop a fully accelerated OpenGL scene. A supported* video card can then render the drawing of the desktop, just like it would a 3D game. The main CPU chip(s) can then focus on application-specific needs, making the whole system faster and more responsive.

That means your shadows will drop quickly, your genies will appear slicker and your transparencies will layer faster — and Mac OS X can do more processing in the background while you move the foreground.
*nVidia: GeForce2MX, GeForce3, GeForce4 Ti, GeForce4 or GeForce4MX. ATI: any AGP Radeon card. 32MB VRAM recommended for optimum performance.

I hope this puts any doubts of my "more bloated than even WinXP" claim to rest. :( I can't imagine the flames MS would get if they required you to have a GeForce2 or up or a Radeon for 2D (not 3D!) graphics acceleration under WinXP, or if they recommended 32MB of video RAM for "optimum" 2D performance.

This is not a new 3D UI we're talking about -- this is just the existing 2D Aqua UI, accelerated using OpenGL and 32MB (!) of VRAM. I don't know what the rest of you think, but I consider the requirement of a GeForce 2 or Radeon, with 32MB VRAM recommended--just to get accelerated display of menus, icons, web browser windows and the like--to be shocking bloat beyond my wildest imagination.

(FWIW, there is another example of 2D acceleration using OpenGL that comes to mind: Chromium B.S.U. That's a game, though, and I think it's reasonable to expect GUIs to be less CPU/video acceleration-intensive than games.)

Tea

Storage? I am Storage!
Website
www.redhill.net.au
Quite so, Barry. Indeed, I think it's reasonable to expect GUIs not to require any kind of fancy hardware whatsoever. The current craze for incredibly inefficient desktops reminds me of the gas-guzzling monster cars of the '60s: big, clumsy, horrendously inefficient, unreliable, over-complex, and not even pleasant things to drive anyway.

Adcadet

Storage Freak
On the other hand, it will be nice for an OS to take advantage of all the processing power that the current video cards come with. But it will be a shame if the OS requires such hardware.