Haswell Build: Thoughts?

Stereodude

Not really a
CPU: Intel i7-4770K
Mobo: Asrock Z87 Extreme6 - I like the 10 SATA connections and Intel NICs without costing as much as the Gigabyte equivalent, plus the this one was quite power efficient in the Tom's Hardware review.
RAM: Crucial Ballistix Tactical 16GB (8GB x 2) DDR3-1600 - might get the LP kit for $10 more (per their ad flyer).
SSD: 256GB Samsung 840 Pro
HDs: 4 x 3TB Toshiba (Hitachi 7200RPM) - for two RAID-1 arrays.
PS: May re-use something I already have
Cooling: Not sure, maybe one of the sealed Corsair water cooling units
Case: Probably will re-use something I have
Graphics: Re-use something I have

Thoughts, feedback, mockery?

Mercutio

Fatwah on Western Digital
May I ask what you're upgrading from? Are you just going to run onboard video with it?

I'm thinking carefully about making my next system an ITX machine, just to avoid the inevitable outcome of building another giant mid/full tower rig so I have another place to put hard drives.

CougTek

Hairy Aussie
If you re-use one of your older power supplies, just make sure it is compatible with the Haswell platform. Tech-Report compiled a list of those (it's no an exclusive list - your PSU might work even if it's on there, but those models are certified to be compatible).

Stereodude

Not really a
May I ask what you're upgrading from? Are you just going to run onboard video with it?
This would replace my Sandy Bridge i7-2600K "video compression" system. The Sandy Bridge system will replace my Q6600 as my main desktop. I might run the onboard video but it will have a Nvidia graphics card for hardware acceleration of some of the software I'm using.

Stereodude

Not really a
If you re-use one of your older power supplies, just make sure it is compatible with the Haswell platform. Tech-Report compiled a list of those (it's no an exclusive list - your PSU might work even if it's on there, but those models are certified to be compatible).
Most of my power supplies in use are from Corsair. I need to check exactly what model is where. Some are HX520s, but I think there are a few others ones floating around. I don't think this system needs a big supply. Something like a Seasonic G-450 would probably fit the bill nicely if I need to buy a new supply.

Bozo

Storage? I am Storage!
I thought the problem with power supplies was only if you used hibernate???

Stereodude

Not really a
Most of my power supplies in use are from Corsair. I need to check exactly what model is where.
It looks like my Q6600 has a Corsair HX520 and the i7-2600K has a Antec Truepower 550 (TP-550). I see from the link Coug provided the HX520 is "unknown". The Antec is okay for Haswell.

I'm on the fence whether I should buy another PS. I guess it comes down to whether I keep the Q6600 operational in a case or not. If I don't, I don't need another supply.

Mercutio

Don't PSUs become less efficient over time? I'm sure that a 500W unit is overspecified for the machines you're talking about but caps age about like batteries do so at some point they aren't going to be as good as they were when they were new, right?

Stereodude

Not really a
Don't PSUs become less efficient over time? I'm sure that a 500W unit is overspecified for the machines you're talking about but caps age about like batteries do so at some point they aren't going to be as good as they were when they were new, right?
Yes, but only if they're not properly designed or excessively used. I'm way past leaving systems on 24/7.

Oddly, I'm stuck on cooling. I've looked at a lot of reviews and they don't necessarily agree all that well with one another. They all say the more expensive closed loop water cooling systems are more effective at keeping CPU temps down. Some seem to say they're much louder than most air coolers though. Other reviews say the water cooling units are comparable to the quieter air coolers in noise. :???:

ddrueding

Fixture
I have a few of the Corsair closed loop systems, and have been quite pleased with them. Excellent temps, good noise profile, and I like being able to relocate the CPU fan/radiator to direct airflow elsewhere (in my case chassis exhaust).

Stereodude

Not really a
I have a few of the Corsair closed loop systems, and have been quite pleased with them. Excellent temps, good noise profile, and I like being able to relocate the CPU fan/radiator to direct airflow elsewhere (in my case chassis exhaust).
I've been spending a lot of time looking at the rather detailed CPU cooler reviews at Hardware.Info. They've done a lot of great reviews, but this 20 liquid cooling sets group test: better than air? review was fascinating. I didn't expect that many of the closed loop water cooling systems would come up short of a top tier air cooler in temps (or barely beat it) while being noisier.

I think I have settled on the Thermalright True Spirit 140 based on this review (and others). It's not $80+ like some of the very high end air coolers, performs very well, but is reasonably quiet.

I also think I will try out the Indigo Xtreme TIM based on the very well done reviews done by Skinnee Labs.

CougTek

Hairy Aussie
Sold my first Haswell-based system today. It's a fairly low-end build, but it should be a very good office system nonetheless :

• Intel Core i5 4430 3.0GHz quad core with HD4600 graphics
  • Asus H87M-E motherboard
  • Kingston KHX1600C9D3B1K2/8GX (2x 4GB 1600MHz kit)
  • Corsair Neutron GTX 240GB SSD
  • Samsung laughable DVD burner
  • Cooler Master N200 mini-tower
  • Antec EA450Platinum power supply (I had it in stock)

The PSU cables will make a bit of a mess inside the case, but otherwise, it's a very fine build IMO.

CougTek

Hairy Aussie
Samsung's optical drives used to be lame. I hope they've improved, but since optical media are rarely used nowadays, it won't really matter wether it's good or not.

ddrueding

Fixture
Just ordered the following fanless machine from EndPCNoise.com for a client to drive a 4k TV:

Intel Core i7-4770S Haswell 3.1GHz Quad-Core 65w CPU
8GB (1 x 8GB) Kingston PC3 1600
Microsoft Windows 8 Professional 64-bit
ASUS Z87 Deluxe 1150 Intel Z87 Intel Motherboard
mCubed HFX Classic Silver PC Case
Plextor (BLACK) SATA DVD +/- RW PX-891SA-26
SSD Intel 520 Series 120GB SATA III (Solid State Disk)
Silverstone ST40NF Nightjar Fanless Power Supply
mCubed BorgFX Extension x2
mCubed BorgFX VGA
mCubed BorgFX CPU Deluxe (Copper)
Intel Wireless N Card *widi support

ddrueding

Fixture
I don't have the time to fool with that mCubed HFX Classic chassis, and with fanless machines I like to have a warranty. And money wasn't really as issue in this case.

Stereodude

Not really a
Just ordered the following fanless machine from EndPCNoise.com for a client to drive a 4k TV:

Intel Core i7-4770S Haswell 3.1GHz Quad-Core 65w CPU
8GB (1 x 8GB) Kingston PC3 1600
Microsoft Windows 8 Professional 64-bit
ASUS Z87 Deluxe 1150 Intel Z87 Intel Motherboard
mCubed HFX Classic Silver PC Case
Plextor (BLACK) SATA DVD +/- RW PX-891SA-26
SSD Intel 520 Series 120GB SATA III (Solid State Disk)
Silverstone ST40NF Nightjar Fanless Power Supply
mCubed BorgFX Extension x2
mCubed BorgFX VGA
mCubed BorgFX CPU Deluxe (Copper)
Intel Wireless N Card *widi support
I'd be curious to see the system temps of this thing. Especially the motherboard / ambient temp in the case.

Handruin

Administrator
How about portal? It's not a very taxing engine for any modern graphics card but it might give a good test for your integrated graphics. Even if not its still a great game to play if you haven't tried it yet.

sdbardwick

Storage is cool
AFAIK, generally no. If you haven't played it at all, they might; if you have used it even for a second they won't (barring extraordinary circumstances).

Handruin

Administrator
Portal doesn't appear to be available for Linux. Considering this news, it seems odd.

View attachment 602

I had seen the same thing and thought it was available for Linux. I'm surprised it's not available.

To answer your other question, Portal 2 is also an excellent game but it wasn't as monumental as the first one. None the less if they don't have it for Linux it won't matter.

Mercutio

The important bit about Portal 2 is the quite charming voice acting. The whole game can be viewed on Youtube without all the hassle of actually playing the damned thing.
I do know that Doom 3 and Quake 4 are available and would be a good test for modest systems.

Painkiller is supposed to be made available for Linux Real Soon Now.

Handruin

Administrator
The important bit about Portal 2 is the quite charming voice acting. The whole game can be viewed on Youtube without all the hassle of actually playing the damned thing.
I do know that Doom 3 and Quake 4 are available and would be a good test for modest systems.

Painkiller is supposed to be made available for Linux Real Soon Now.

The voice acting is brilliant is is the comedic commentary from other characters. The game is of no hassle to play. You're a warped individual if you find playing Portal a hassle. It's a beautifully-built FPS puzzle game.

"GLaDOS: Well done. Here are the test results: You are a horrible person. I'm serious, that's what it says: "A horrible person." We weren't even testing for that. Don't let that horrible-person thing discourage you. It's just a data point. If it makes you feel any better, science has now validated your birth mother's decision to abandon you on a doorstep."

Let me check my humble bundle downloads. There might be a Linux version in there somewhere for a game that could stress your new Haswell setup.