HD-DVD FTW

Mercutio

Fatwah on Western Digital
WalMart to crushinate Blu-Ray.

Generally I don't have anything good about the land of Jebus, gun racks and NASCAR, but if it's going to give the world the price pressure that will result in $200-by-Xmas HD-DVD players I think I can be slightly charitable.

Mercutio

Fatwah on Western Digital
Someone needs to convince S*ny to quit making expensive, pathetic failures of proprietary media formats.
Preferably, the sort of persuasion that involves pointy things and the anal orifice that is located above every S*ny employee's chin.

Handruin

Administrator
Someone really needs to sell a player that will play blu-ray and hd-dvd.

There is one...it was at the CES (I think). Damn if I remember the name of the company who makes it... I'll see if I can find it again.

timwhit

Hairy Aussie
I found this article about a combo player being released in the UK next month. Only £999. I guess I will consider something in five years.

I don't have a television that can display it anyways. I refuse to buy anything less than 1080p, and I just don't like how large LCD televisions look. 1080p in a plasma goes for $3000+. Plasma's downsides other than cost is weight, fragility, and their energy consumption. There just isn't anything on the market that seems that great for 1080p in a 42".

I am very interested to see how SED and OLED will look and cost.

Handruin

Administrator
Plasma has burning issues and longevity problems too (maybe not as bad today as it was 3 years ago)...I never would have thought weight was an issue. Though I have to admit when I see them in the store, I gravitate towards them for clarity.

LiamC

Storage Is My Life
Samsung dual HD/Blu ray DVD player:

http://www.xbitlabs.com/news/multimedia/display/20070413070605.html

More feature complete than the LG. I also read somewhere that Samsung are going for a US$299 (could have been 399) Blu ray player, so prices are coming down.

SED looks promising, but its been pushed back, and back. Canon have bought out Toshiba, further complicating matters, and now Canon are saying that they won't be price competitive with consumer LCD/Plasma displays. Without volume, I'd be leery (or would that be Leary, D.?) :)

sechs

Storage? I am Storage!
We're going with dual players? I thought that the dual disk was the thing....