Help - bad Perc or bad cables?!

sharepointalex

What is this storage?
Hi Folks,

After trying to clone my system drive in Server 2012 essentials box to an SSD yesterday (didn't manage it so put original disk back in). I noticed on boot up that my RAID wasn't showing in Windows. On reboot the Perc said all was fine but kept getting stuck on 'Initializing HA - '.

Then I remembered in addition to the tape mod I need to disable onboard SATA to get into config util.

Once in there I noticed two disks are being reported as missing in VD mgmt and in PD mgmt - 4 show up out of 6 all as failed state.

I can get others to show up it seems by moving cables around but can never get all 6 showing. Also sometimes I just get no config present?? Is that because you need a certain number of disks from both 'ports' on the Perc?

I'm certain these disks haven't failed - they are WD Reds and are only a few months old!

Am I looking a dead card here? Or is my RAID gone completely?! It's a RAID 6 btw!

Please help! :-(

Cheers

ddrueding

Fixture
Merc nailed it. Label everything, start rotating the cables around the drives. If the same drives keep failing it is the drives. Then start rotating the cables on the ports, if the same ports keep failing it is the card. Otherwise it might be the cables.