Hercules still in buisness ?

SYROB

What is this storage?
I just ordered a video card (8500LE) from newegg but can not get to the Hercules site. Still in buisness ?

SYROB

SYROB

What is this storage?
"Hello, We regret to inform you that due to a technical problem Hercules sites are temporarily unavailable."

OK so just technical issues I hope, Thanks for the help..

SYROB

Tannin

Storage? I am Storage!
Website
www.redhill.net.au
Hercules, as I recall, got into severe difficulty a few years ago when they were bought by a get-rich-quick asset stripper, who flogged off everything valuable and left the remainder to go bankrupt. The rotting bones of the company were bought by Guillemot, and since that time they have been producing excellent cards once more, with excellent service to match.

As for their web site being down, that is a bonus! For all the quality of their video products, their web site is the most stupidly graphics-heavy, Java-ridden load of pox it has ever been my misfortune to visit.

I hope the reason it is down is so that they can put something more practical and useful up in its place. Plain text would be an improvement. :wink:

Mercutio

Fatwah on Western Digital
Plain text is always an improvement.

What happened to Hercules was a damn shame. At one point, I swore by Hercules cards as surely as I swear by Matrox now. Their stuff was the best you could buy. Now they're an undifferentiated nobody.

Speaking of "undifferentiated nobodies", did anyone else notice that Creative just bought 3D Labs? Creative got out of the video card business a couple years ago. What the heck is up with jumping right back in?

GMac

Learning Storage Performance
Guillemot do appear to have done a good job with the remains of Hercules, as Tannin rightly said. They seem to be turning out quite a varied range of cards at the moment, with products based on the Geforce2, KyroII and ATi Radeon 7500/8500 on offer from my local retailer of choice.

GM

NRG = mc²

Storage is cool
Creative got out of the video card business a couple years ago. What the heck is up with jumping right back in?

Have they? I recall seeing recent GeForce cards from them, I used to have the GF2MX with the useless DDR memory.

Or was there a time when they made their own graphics chips?

CougTek

Hairy Aussie
IIRC, Creative completly skipped the GeForce 3 series. Their last graphic card I'm aware of is their GeForce 2 (not Ti). I heard their name recently in the news, but I haven't paid much attention to it. Maybe they have decided to offer GeForce 4-based cards, but I don't know.

The few specifications that have been given about the upcoming GPU from 3D Labs look promising. I don't know how it will translate into real-world performances, but I think it worths to keep an eye on this. I would really like to see some serious competition against NVidia's chips or else they will slow down the development and jack up the prices (already started BTW).