High-performance SSDs for Desktop use

ddrueding

Fixture
If you could choose between these two for your OS drive:

Samsung SM951 512GB
Samsung SM951 512GB.png

Intel 750 PCIe 400GB
Intel 750 400GB.png

At the moment I have the OS installed on an SM951, with a second as the local data drive (good for separating source and destination on batch operations). With all the storage going local, I'm tempted to stick the OS on the 750 and use both SM951s as cache for the 4x (soon to be 5x) 8TB Seagate He Storage Space.

Thoughts?

Mercutio

Fatwah on Western Digital
The Intel is clearly the better drive as of now but I suspect that it practical terms it will make minimal subjective difference.

CougTek

Hairy Aussie
With all the storage going local, I'm tempted to stick the OS on the 750 and use both SM951s as cache for the 4x (soon to be 5x) 8TB Seagate He Storage Space.
The Intel 750 is the best of both.

I very much doubt that you have Seagate helium-filled drives at the moment. I don't even think they are available yet. What you probably have are 4x ST8000NE0001, which are Enterprise NAS drives, but they are not filled with helium.

Mercutio

Fatwah on Western Digital
Interesting, there were a couple guys on /. the other day making comments suggesting they work for one of the big storage pod firms, that the Helium drives ARE significantly better for reliability. If they're both more reliable and represent a path forward for standard, non-shingled recording, why did Seagate wait to adopt it?

CougTek

Hairy Aussie
I see your 4 HGST (not Seagate) He drives (disks 1 to 4), the Intel NVMe (disk 6) and the Samsung (disk 5). Which one isn't there?

ddrueding

Fixture
Ah there was the confusion. Sorry about that. I have another Samsung with the OS currently installed. The current plan is to use both Samsungs as cache for the Storage Space and put the OS on the Intel NVMe. Just need to confirm that Creative Cloud and SolidWorks 2016 will run on the Server Platform.