Home router

Chewy509

Wotty wot wot.
Hi Guys,

Looking at replacing my aging ADSL2+ router (some Thomson crap supplied by Telstra) as the wireless part of it can't handle the amount of interference due to neighbours, etc. (Range is half was it was 12mths ago). A quick survery shows no-one using 802.11n equipment in the area so am hoping a move to 802.11n router will solve things. (All equipment that connects via WiFi to the LAN is 802.11n capable).

Due to the limited choice in the main retail chains, the only candidate is the Netgear N600 (DGND3700v2) - http://www.netgear.com.au/home/products/wirelessrouters/high-performance/DGND3700.aspx#

The other main choice is the DLink N300 or a Belkin N600.

Is there anything else I should look for that is better than the N600. (Avg price is around AU$169, so up to that is fine). The main requirement is stability of both ADSL and WiFi...

PS. Due to distance from the exchange, I connect between 10-9Mbps which is close to what I should be getting with my current modem.

LunarMist

I can't believe I'm a Fixture
Have you tried the 5GHz band? Typically there are fewer users than at 2.4.

Mercutio

Fatwah on Western Digital
You might be able to get a Netgear R6300 for around that price. I agree that 5GHz hardware is the right way to go, not that there is even any question about that. The r6x00 series has been my go-to choice for high end consumer routers, though I've been able to find refurbs for far less than what they seem to sell at retail.

Mercutio

Fatwah on Western Digital
802.11n does not automatically ensure 5GHz support. It's still defined as optional. Make sure whatever you're looking at is specifically dual band or you might still have issues.

Chewy509

Wotty wot wot.
802.11n does not automatically ensure 5GHz support. It's still defined as optional. Make sure whatever you're looking at is specifically dual band or you might still have issues.

I realise that, but most routers I've seen sporting 802.11n support, offer 5GHz. The only notable exception is the Billion 7800N. It's the 5GHz I'm after...

Speaking with a friend who works for an ISP, basically said that most consumer grade stuff has become vomit worthy and try to budget for enterprise class stuff if I want stability...

LunarMist

Normally the dual-band feature is shown prominently on the box.

CougTek

Hairy Aussie
Less than $1k.
Chewy is an University student with a kid. I suspect that spending close to a thousand bucks is quite a bit above his budget.

Affordable for you and affordable for the rest of us are two very different things.

How's your elevator in the living room project going on?

ddrueding

Fixture
What with the current storm, the elevator has been put on hold. I did get the watercooling rig put together last night though ;)

I'll second both of Merc's comments. That the Netgear R6x00 routers are good home routers, and that all home routers suck.

Chewy509

Wotty wot wot.
Chewy is an University student with a kid. I suspect that spending close to a thousand bucks is quite a bit above his budget.

Affordable for you and affordable for the rest of us are two very different things.
Thank you for being the voice of reason. ;)

If I had $1K to spend, it would be on an upgrade of the router, and some really, really nice presents for the kids and my beautiful wife this Christmas...

Actually, I may just keep some money and get a dual-band wireless AP to use that to replace the wireless component of the current router (which other than the wireless component is working quite well)... (disable the wireless on the router and use a dedicated AP to replace that functionality).

LunarMist

Thank you for being the voice of reason. ;)

If I had $1K to spend, it would be on an upgrade of the router, and some really, really nice presents for the kids and my beautiful wife this Christmas...

Actually, I may just keep some money and get a dual-band wireless AP to use that to replace the wireless component of the current router (which other than the wireless component is working quite well)... (disable the wireless on the router and use a dedicated AP to replace that functionality).

I think DD uses them for some business activity, although it is different to distinguish the two in his situation.

ddrueding

Fixture