Home Solar

Clocker

Storage? I am Storage!
Howdy Doug. How long have you had it installed? Have you been able to estimate if you are on-track for at 5 year ROI? I know it will be hard to determine what winter will bring but just wondering what your overall impression is. If you don't have batteries, is the AC fed directly to your home to just help reduce the amount you are putting from the electric company?

Handruin

Administrator
Hey Kevin! I've had my solar panels turned on since mid day Thursday 9/5/2019 and only had the monitoring working for the past 3 days so I barely have enough data to make any kind of conclusions yet. In the past 7 days which includes a bunch of overcast/cloudy/rainy days due to Dorian blow-over, I'm at a total production of 248.49 kWh based on what my inverter has tracked. I should have a better guess at the end of October/November...but we are also nearing the end of peak sunlight in New England as the sun dips lower in the horizon. Unfortunately it took too long to get my setup online to make the most of the summer. I don't expect much production in Dec > March but only time will tell. The delays were mostly waiting for my town's electrical inspector.

I do not have a battery system so the inverter is tied right into the main lines that come into my house at the meter socket. When I'm generating surplus power, it gets pushed back to the grid and likely goes to my surrounding neighbors, so it's not wasted. I have two new electric meters as part of implementing solar and now when I generate surplus (which I should be based on my plan), my meter runs backwards and I get credits from the electric supplier at the same rate I would pay for power. The hope is that during the peak months I generate enough excess credits to use those credits during the off-peak months. My utility company will never pay me for the credits but I can transfer any excess to people in my grid which is most of the east coast of Mass.

In addition to the credits I will get from my energy supplier, my second meter is a Massachusetts-based SMART program. This meter simply tracks all generated electricity from my panels. I get a separate payment of $0.14 per kWh regardless if I use it or send it to the grid. I get paid during this program for 10 years and they will send me a check every quarter as payment for the power generated.

LunarMist

I can't believe I'm a
I hope it works out for you, but every time I go to NH or MA it seems there is not much sun. :(
I assume you need more panels than the houses in SoCal.

DrunkenBastard

Storage is cool
Looking good Doug. The 14 cents per kWh generated program is a nice bonus.

How many panels again (sorry if I missed that post). All on your southern facing roof?

Handruin

Administrator
I ended up installing 28 panels. These are the parts I had installed:

Modules: (28) LG370Q1C-A5
Inverter: (1) SolarEdge SE10000H-US & (28) SolarEdge P370 Optimizers
Inverter Warranty: Extended to 25 Years
Racking: IronRidge XR100 Rails & IronRidge FlashFoot2 Mounts
Monitoring: SolarEdge PV Monitoring