Home Theatre setup, 2009

Santilli

Hairy Aussie
Thanks I got it. Using the iPod link is a bit counter intuitive for me who hates most all things Mac...

Stereodude

Not really a
How do you take standard stereo speakers and wire them to a computer, and, if you do, is the output enough to power the speakers? I've got a couple Yamaha speakers sitting around, and, they have the standard screw down for speaker wires on the back, and that's it.
Well, with HDMI audio, you need a HDMI audio capable receiver to take the audio from the signal and pass the video portion onto your TV. It would amplify the sound for your speakers.

LunarMist

I can't believe I'm a Fixture
Meh, I'm really happy with my new workbench. The whole table is angled towards me, is prewired for network, power, and KVM, and has a 2 gallon air compressor mounted underneath. If I can't do a motherboard in 5 minutes (power tools) something is wrong.

Aren't air compressors rather noisy? Is this in your garage?

ddrueding

Fixture
In my office. Its only noisy when it charges, and I have it charge at night. My current complaint is that it smells awful (something about the oil in the motor?).

LunarMist

Oh, I thought it was in a home office. :eek:

Dare I ask what the compressor is for? Do you perform repairs or some type of service?

ddrueding

Fixture
I build and maintain all the computers in the office (I am the only IT guy), so I work on 3-5 systems a day. In addition to doing all the higher-end duties (budget, purchasing decisions, contracts, etc) and the lower end ones (at the moment, reviewing the security tapes).

Santilli

Hairy Aussie
David:
two strokes mix oil in to the gas to lubricate the engine. No oil, no smell, burnt out engine.

See if you can move the compressor, and use a long hose, to somewhere that is outside your nose....

It could also be an exhaust leak. Make sure the compressor has a really good, sealed exhaust system, and, that the gas tank is vented to the outside.

Stereodude

Not really a
A lot of air compressors use oil to lubricate the pistons, though a lot of newer ones are oil-less (and suck).

Stereodude

Not really a
OK, I have one that uses oil. Is it going to continue to smell? Or is it a break-in thing?
Hard to say. My experience with a few different air compressors is that have some odor to them when running. I'm not sure about when off since I've never had one in a confined area.

LunarMist

IMO a compressor should be in a utility room with hard pressure lines leading to POU. Usually I would specify a separator and pressure regulator at each POU. At least that is what I did back when I designed small facilities.

It is better to have a somewhat larger compressor/tank than needed to increase service life, as well in case the building needs increase. Make sure to service the compressor and tank(s) appropriately. I'm sure you know this, but condensation is the enemy.

ddrueding

Fixture
I actually know absolutely nothing about compressors. All I knew was that canned air was stupid, wasteful, and expensive. I got a Craftsman 1HP/2Gal electric air compressor for $100. The shop will be providing me with a hose and moisture removal thingie (I didn't know I needed one). When I was going over the manual, they did mention a condensation relief valve on the bottom, and when I asked the shop why the manual said to store it empty, they replied "condensation". But I know nothing about it.

Stereodude

Not really a
Depending what you're doing you may not have an issue with moisture in your air. I mean it will be there, but it won't cause you any problems. But, you should definitely drain the tank regularly or it will rust from the inside.