Hot SSD deal

ddrueding

Fixture
I have more OCZ SSDs than the rest of you combined. I've had one failure and, knowing how bad their RMA process is, I just threw it away. In my experience their failure rate is fairly low and their prices are awesome. You do need to be OK with simply taking it as a loss at some point if the reliability gods frown upon you.

And you do have a backup, right?

Mercutio

Fatwah on Western Digital
Sure, but on the other hand, why subject yourself to that when you can pay 2% more and get something that actually has a decent warranty? Intel's RMA turnaround time is in my experience around two business days. Regardless of what that drive will be worth in three years (hint: not a whole lot), I'd still prefer to have something I could send back instead of just toss.

LunarMist

I can't believe I'm a Fixture
I have more OCZ SSDs than the rest of you combined. I've had one failure and, knowing how bad their RMA process is, I just threw it away. In my experience their failure rate is fairly low and their prices are awesome. You do need to be OK with simply taking it as a loss at some point if the reliability gods frown upon you.

And you do have a backup, right?

Well it is no bargain if you need to but two, one to use and one as a backup. Of course other SSDs have some defects as well, but OCZ is particularly notorious. :)

ddrueding

Fixture
I also feel that they are notorious because they are so common. You are more likely to hear horror stories if more units are sold. And they are common because they are a pretty good deal.

Mercutio

Fatwah on Western Digital
The problem is, OCZ just has no support at all. Maybe they have a zillion engineers optimizing the hell out of their firmware, but since I've always communicated with the same human being doing support, I wonder if it's just that one guy doing everything for everybody who has a problem in North America. Which would go a long way to explaining the phenomenal delays and lapses in communication to begin with.

That said, Newegg had a 240GB Agility drive on sale at $160 yesterday. That's not a top-end drive and it's from an OEM I don't trust, but I look at that as proof positive that drive prices are going to fall and soon we'll be in SSD-nirvana.

All of my personal desktops and notebooks now have at least 80GB SSDs in them.

LunarMist

When will we see 1TB SSDs? I'd get one if it were less than a buck per gig.

LunarMist

My current, ancient ultraportable fits two hard drives with my custom modfication, but most don't. Of course SSD capacity is not a significant problem in a desktop system, where one can place an SSD on the PS or hanging around.