How do I turn this system into a HTPC?

ddrueding

Fixture
If it does ship with one, you'll be able to see the difference yourself. Quick example:

Logitech diNovo sitting on the boardroom table isn't even detected by the machine in the closet using it's own packaged BT dongle. The Linksys not only detects that keyboard, but the boss' cell phone 2 doors down, and someone's laptop downstairs.

Stereodude

Not really a
If it does ship with one, you'll be able to see the difference yourself. Quick example:

Logitech diNovo sitting on the boardroom table isn't even detected by the machine in the closet using it's own packaged BT dongle. The Linksys not only detects that keyboard, but the boss' cell phone 2 doors down, and someone's laptop downstairs.
Class 1 vs. Class 2 likely.

MaxBurn

Storage Is My Life
Class 1 vs. Class 2 likely.

The linksys appears to be Class1 according to their site. Site says something about linksys by cisco so it might have a decent component in it but I suspect the fact of simply having a decent antenna does a lot.

Santilli

Hairy Aussie
Supposed to arrive today. Foot pounding floor impatiently, waiting for UPS, who'll usually try and drop it at the front office, that is now closed...

Santilli

Hairy Aussie
Bought another Samsung 2233sw. Like the software, like the instant adjustment for games, etc. Price is right at 179., and, I can return it if it screws up. Even with the 20% tax, it's still a nice monitor.

Santilli

Hairy Aussie
Got the Linksys Bluetooth adapter and the keyboard the same day. Plug and Play for the adapter, and, XP Pro installed the software easily. Does what I want it to and makes it easier to work and watch at the same time.

Keyboard appears to be decently built. Should be for that price. NO adapter included with the keyboard.

Santilli

Hairy Aussie
I will say the documentation for the keyboard from Logitech is the WORST I've ever looked at. The type is so small I need a magnifying glass to read it, and, the sticker on the back is pretty much unreadable. Rather then entering a passkey, I elected not to, since I couldn't read the one to start with.

MaxBurn

Storage Is My Life
Got the Linksys Bluetooth adapter and the keyboard the same day. Plug and Play for the adapter, and, XP Pro installed the software easily. Does what I want it to and makes it easier to work and watch at the same time.

Keyboard appears to be decently built. Should be for that price. NO adapter included with the keyboard.

Bluetooth for this price is really great, many of the others are much higher. Don't exactly understand why though, is it bluetooth licensing costs or something?

Construction wise it isn't bad or great and as a dedicated keyboard I can tell the keys are going to wear out quick like most these days. Frankly I have fallen into buying cheap dell keyboards in bulk on ebay and throw them out every six months or so for my desktop/work computer. It isn't foreign matter in the keyboard gumming it up, it's the plastic wearing out and the keys getting harder to press if you don't hit them dead on, the shift control and alt keys are especially prone to this. The keys also have a short throw, like halfway between a normal keyboard and a laptop keyboard. Fortunately it won't see a ton of typing on the HTPC.

The touch pad on it is really small, smaller than most laptops.

I haven't tried gaming with it yet to see how it handles the WASD multiple key press situations, I expect that to work fine though.

I will say the documentation for the keyboard from Logitech is the WORST I've ever looked at. The type is so small I need a magnifying glass to read it, and, the sticker on the back is pretty much unreadable. Rather then entering a passkey, I elected not to, since I couldn't read the one to start with.

I was momentarily stumped by this one too! Instead I typed some random numbers on my computer and the same numbers on the logitech keyboard and then hit enter on the logitech keyboard, that worked too. This pairing procedure could easily be on the back of the keyboard but it isn't.

Santilli

Hairy Aussie
Does anyone have a copy of XP PRO, 64 bit version they would like to sell, cheap?

With ram prices so cheap, it might be worth going from 2 gigs, to more...

What's the fastest speed ram this board will run?
GA-K8N Pro- SLI F7