How Secure Is My Password?

CougTek

Hairy Aussie
http://www.howsecureismypassword.net/

Can be quite useful. I make sure my passwords take at least 4 million years for a typical PC to crack. Of course, it wouldn't take 4 million years because there will be significant advancements, but still. I aim high.

Of course, I don't type my actual passwords. I type something with a similar set of caracters instead. Otherwise, it would be pretty dumb as nothing would prevent the owners of the site to log every attempt and then sell the password logs.

Anyone else knows that site?

LunarMist

I can't believe I'm a Fixture
I thought it was better to use a weak password to make it more plausible that some hacker was responsible.

Mercutio

Fatwah on Western Digital
I think the password I use for SF is the single stupidest password I use anywhere except the systems where I have to share an admin account with someone else. Some of those are actually dumber. Oh and my Netflix password, but that's only 'cause I let someone else use it for streaming.

Chewy509

Wotty wot wot.
For any of my passwords:

It would take a desktop PC about 31 sesvigintillion years to crack your password

Oh, my mine are really easy to remember:

Code:
$ echo <insertmypassword><site> | sha256sum

PS. sesvigintillion = 10^81 years

CougTek

Hairy Aussie
Probably it is less secure now than before you typed it into that site.
I came here to post something like this...

If you're willing to enter it into some random website, it's probably not very secure.
Did any of you cared to read the very first post of that thread?
Of course, I don't type my actual passwords. I type something with a similar set of caracters instead. Otherwise, it would be pretty dumb as nothing would prevent the owners of the site to log every attempt and then sell the password logs.

ddrueding

Fixture
For any of my passwords:

It would take a desktop PC about 31 sesvigintillion years to crack your password

Oh, my mine are really easy to remember:

Code:
$ echo <insertmypassword><site> | sha256sum

PS. sesvigintillion = 10^81 years

You win 10^81 geek cred points.

Howell

Storage? I am Storage!
Sponsored by a password management site expectedly.
My password used most often would take 412 years to crack and is changed every couple of months.

The likelyhood that a password will be cracked is becoming much less likely than that it will be stolen as part of a database grab. It is just as important to use as many different passwords as you can as that they are complex.

Tea

Storage? I am Storage!
Website
www.redhill.net.au
3 undecillion years

1: Went to the site.

2: Glanced over the page, read the headline.

3: Looked at the fine print in black and white at the bottom of the page

4: Typed in the first thing that came into my head, which was:

5: That is the worst typeface I have ever seen in my life!

6: 3 undecillion years!

Bozo

Storage? I am Storage!
I like the statement at the bottom: "Your password will not be transferred over the internet."
If I am connected to the internet, and I send my password to be analyzed, how does it get there? Mental telepathy?

Mercutio

Fatwah on Western Digital
I like the statement at the bottom: "Your password will not be transferred over the internet."
If I am connected to the internet, and I send my password to be analyzed, how does it get there? Mental telepathy?

In theory, that means it's a client-side script that's just counting the number and range of characters you're using. That's pretty trivial as far as code goes.

Clocker

Storage? I am Storage!
LOL...I typed in a password that is the same length and uses the same quantity of special characters and cases that my normal passwords are and 157 Billion years. Not to shabby.

My SF password : 4 seconds !

Handruin

Administrator
LOL...I typed in a password that is the same length and uses the same quantity of special characters and cases that my normal passwords are and 157 Billion years. Not to shabby.

My SF password : 4 seconds !

Is the 4 seconds it takes you to type it in? :)