Hurricane Sandy

LunarMist

I can't believe I'm a Fixture
I'm getting concerned regarding jtr, I don't think he's logged in since 10/27. Anybody been in contact with him?

I don't know that he has a laptop or smartphone, so it may be a power issue as well as the obvious priority issue.

Mercutio

Fatwah on Western Digital
I think it's safe to say that he probably has bigger things to worry about if he hasn't checked in by now.

LunarMist

I think it's safe to say that he probably has bigger things to worry about if he hasn't checked in by now.

Yes. IIRC his elderly mother is living there so they may have taken up temporary residence elsewhere if power is still out. I know some people in NJ and NY have days or weeks left to wait for restoration. The fuel situation is a cluster**** too.

Will Rickards

Storage Is My Life
Website
willrickards.net
Yes but I thought maybe someone had his address and we could check if that was still without power or in the hard hit area.
I had his name/address some years ago but can't seem to locate it now.
Maybe a phone number to call.

Clocker

Storage? I am Storage!
I have his address but no idea how to check the status of his area.

DrunkenBastard

Storage is cool
I have his address but no idea how to check the status of his area.

You could try plugging his phone number into here:

https://apps2.coned.com/csol/reportoutage.asp

Sounds like there are some issues there:

"It's very dark here, people can't get gas and food is running out so people are going to shelters," he said. "Luckily where I am in Flushing I have power, but the homes on the next block don't. People are coming down from Long Island to get gas here but now we're also running out."

http://ireport.cnn.com/docs/DOC-870264

He may be in a shelter with his mother until the power returns, hopefully a bus or something got them there as he doesn't drive/have a license.

Clocker

Storage? I am Storage!
I didn't have his phone number so I checked a couple local businesses.

Active Server Pages error 'ASP 0113'
Script timed out
/CSOL/reportoutage_ident.asp
The maximum amount of time for a script to execute was exceeded. You can change this limit by specifying a new value for the property Server.ScriptTimeout or by changing the value in the IIS administration tools.

Handruin

Administrator
I believe apairofpcs is friends with jtr and lives near by. I'll point him here to see if he has a way to find out for us if jtr is ok.

apairofpcs

Learning Storage Performance
I believe apairofpcs is friends with jtr and lives near by. I'll point him here to see if he has a way to find out for us if jtr is ok.
Indeed I am friends with jtr. He lives 21 miles from me. I have not heard from him since about 8 PM the night of the hurricane. He spoke of high winds, but seemed confident that the hurricane would pass without any incident. I've sent him emails with no reply. I've called him several times with no calls getting through....."your call cannot be completed as dialed." From this phone message, it appears that he lost power and it has not yet been restored. I will aggressively attempt contacting him.

I wouldn't worry about him, because he doesn't live near any body of water. Also, when there is a heavy rainfall his basement gets flooded and he has to work hard to drain it and dry it out. He disappears at this time. The water dr
ainage in his area is poor. If I contact him, I will write a post here stating that he is fine and ask him to do the same.

apairofpcs

Learning Storage Performance
You could try plugging his phone number into here:

https://apps2.coned.com/csol/reportoutage.asp

Sounds like there are some issues there:

"It's very dark here, people can't get gas and food is running out so people are going to shelters," he said. "Luckily where I am in Flushing I have power, but the homes on the next block don't. People are coming down from Long Island to get gas here but now we're also running out."

http://ireport.cnn.com/docs/DOC-870264

He may be in a shelter with his mother until the power returns, hopefully a bus or something got them there as he doesn't drive/have a license.

I checked his phone number at the outage link above. Nobody at his address has reported an outage.

The quote above the CNN link is NOT from JTR, but rather from a CNN reporter who visited the area. JTR doesn't drive, but his mother does and they have a car.

I'll keep trying to contact him via email and phone.

NOTE:
Post #93 should have preceded post #92.

jtr1962

Storage? I am Storage!
I just want to report that I got through the storm OK. The major problem was a power outage which lasted from about 10 PM on the 30th until 1:39 AM EST today. That's 124+ hours without power-the longest I've been without power by far. The four major issues I found having no power are (in order of importance) lack of indoor climate control, inability to wash clothing or shower, inability to communicate, and boredom. My mom does have a cell phone, but it largely wasn't working with many cell towers losing power. We were at least able to cook meals with the gas range. We also kept a pot of steaming water going to humidify the air and make the house feel warmer. The cold of course bothered my mom more than me. I'm glad the power is back (for now) given the colder weather heading this way. I'm trying to return things to a semblance of normalcy here as quickly as possible. I just cleaned out the fridge, washed some clothes, and will shower ASAP. I want to hurry just in case the power goes off again. There are multiple problems with the power here, with many houses still out. It wouldn't surprise me at all if ConEd needs to turn off the power again to fix lines. My brother is still without power in the Rockaways as far as I know.

Fortunately the subway outages don't affect me. I very rarely travel into Manhattan, and then only for pleasure. My bike and/or my two feet serve me fine for getting around Queens. In fact, with gas lines and shortages here, my brother has had to conserve gas by staying with us.

The big relief was no basement flooding. Last August the sewers backed up into the basement after a heavy rain. A few weeks of cleanup followed. We may yet get flooding with the next storm heading this way by midweek.

To make all this worse, one of our cats passed away on October 30. This was why I was absent from the forums even before Sandy hit.

Will check in regularly as long as we have power. Hope everyone else weathered the storm OK.

CityK

Storage Freak Apprentice
Sorry to read about your cat jtr. Hopefully you won't have to deal with any flooding!

LunarMist

Sorry about the cat, but I'm glad you did not have expensive property damage like so many.

jtr1962

Storage? I am Storage!
Thanks for the condolences guys. If anything, at least Sandy took our minds off the cat for a while. If you don't hear from me for a while after the next storm, it means either power went out again, or I'm cleaning a flooded basement.

BTW, if you want to check on whether or not I have power, use this link. Type 11365-3228 for the area code.

jtr1962

Storage? I am Storage!
Polar alert here. Heavy wet snow on all the tree branches here. It wouldn't surprise me if we see more outages. Totally weird weather. Hurricanes to blizzards in less than 10 days.

LunarMist

It looks like most of the old crap is still present along with the new fibres, but perhapas it was worse.

Santilli

Hairy Aussie
I haven't been able to find it, but this rivals the Perfect Storm, or worse, as far as wave height, and tide. I've been looking for buoy reports during this period, and can't find them.
Waves generated in Florida were consistent with 15-20 foot swells, and about 15-18 sec duration.

It appears that the fetch, and aim of the storm was right at New Jersey, and the waves even bigger.

I was right. Waves reached 32 feet, highest ever recorded, since buoys were put in effect:
http://www.nj.com/news/index.ssf/2012/11/record_wave_heights_recorded_o.html

mubs

Storage? I am Storage!
Gosh. How do the buoys record wave height? If it's via communication with a satellite, the precision is astounding.

Clocker

Storage? I am Storage!
I believe the bouys have acceleromiters inside them and then the acceleration data can be integrated twice to calculate displacement. Makes me wonder how often these things need to be calibrated to be accurate.

Santilli

Hairy Aussie
Start here, and look around. Cabled to the bottom, the arc created by swells translates data. Also free floating designs.
http://www.noaa.gov/

We are about to get really hammered. Near hurricane force winds with 10-12 inches of rain. DD get ready, check your generators...

Santilli

Hairy Aussie
JTR:

I'm really sorry about your cat. Mine is near 60 in cat years, and it's constantly on my mind. I'm really glad you said one of your cats. If and when my cat dies, I hope I'm dead first.

I really wish I'd let her have a litter, so we would have more then one cat. Plus, she's unique, in that she's feral, half, yet more dog like then most cats. She understand "No" when she wants too, "snack",
"mouse", "lap kitty", though she ignores it, "bad kitty", my own terms to ask her to come lay down and sleep with me, etc.

She's the love of my life, and, I can barely deal with the couple times she escaped to explore, and then came back.

How old was your cat? What was she like?

Sincerely
gs

jtr1962

Storage? I am Storage!
JTR:

I'm really sorry about your cat. Mine is near 60 in cat years, and it's constantly on my mind. I'm really glad you said one of your cats. If and when my cat dies, I hope I'm dead first.

I really wish I'd let her have a litter, so we would have more then one cat. Plus, she's unique, in that she's feral, half, yet more dog like then most cats. She understand "No" when she wants too, "snack",
"mouse", "lap kitty", though she ignores it, "bad kitty", my own terms to ask her to come lay down and sleep with me, etc.

She's the love of my life, and, I can barely deal with the couple times she escaped to explore, and then came back.

How old was your cat? What was she like?

Sincerely
gs
Thanks for the condolences, Greg. The cat who died was named Leno. He originally belonged to our neighbors who constantly let him run around outside, and frankly didn't seem all that interested in his well-being. At first we thought he was a feral cat. We have had quite a few around here over the years that we've fed and either taken in or adopted out if we were able to lure them inside. Anyway, one cold night Leno decides to stay in our house overnight. He seemed really friendly for a feral cat. Later that week, my mom found out Leno belonged to one of our neighbors. For the next few months he would wander over to our place, and we would bring him back. Because Leno didn't get along with the neighbor's two dogs, he said we could keep him. We had him for three years. He was roughly 5 years old. He gained some weight living indoors with us, not doing the outdoor exercise he was used to. Early this summer, he started losing weight which we thought was good. However, this weight loss continued despite his healthy appetite. By October he was looking very emaciated and we bought him to the vet. He needed to go to a 24 hour clinic because the vet said his body was shutting down. The most likely cause according to the doctors there was untreated diabetes. In the end we spent over $4000 trying to save him. I really wish we had taken him in sooner. Unfortunately, this year has been a perfect storm of events with one thing after another, starting with my mother being hospitalized in February. For what it's worth, the way Leno ran around outside, if we didn't take him in, he most likely would have been road kill a few years ago. At least he had a few happy years with us.

This brings me to one of our other cats getting sick (we still have three). Right after power was restored after Sandy, Jeannie became ill. She had swelling under her lower jaw and was dripping blood from her mouth. I bought her to the vet within a few days, not wanting to repeat what happened to Leno. The vet gave her antibiotics, examined her mouth, and referred us to the 24 hour clinic because it was more involved than he could handle. He even mentioned cancer as a possibility. Jeannie had a sedated oral exam at the clinic, and they sent out samples for a culture and biopsy. The next day Jeannie started returning to normal after being pretty sick for over a week. She's been her normal self the last week. Fortunately, the samples came back negative for cancer. She needs to see the vet again for a dental cleaning and some extractions. This is most likely the cause of the recurring swelling and illness. She's had this problem on and off since she was young. My brother saved her as a kitten, and had her for about 3 years. We took her last year because he has another cat which doesn't get along with Jeannie. She's only 5 and half. I've grown really attached to her in the same way my mom was really attached to Leno.

It's been really stressful losing one young cat and coming close to losing another. As an aside, all this has made me look into feeding our cats a better diet. Commercial cat food may have caused Leno's diabetes and it certainly caused Jeannie's dental problems. I might been giving our cats human-grade meat exclusively. I've heard raw is better, but I'm a little squeamish about it so it'll most likely be cooked.

jtr1962

Storage? I am Storage!
Here's some pictures:

Leno at the dinner table:

Leno.jpg

Jeannie warming herself next to the electric heater:

Jeannie.jpg

Jeannie looking at the squirrels and birds:

Jeannie_2.jpg