Hybrid Drive

LunarMist

I can't believe I'm a Fixture
I suppose this is only the beginning. 4GB is far too small. We need write caching too.:porc:

ddrueding

Fixture
4GB will get you quite a ways if it is used efficiently. I do think it is just a company that is poorly positioned in the SSD market trying to remain relevant.

LunarMist

Of course OS and apps will launch faster after repetitive use. Yet if the writes are not cached to SSD content creation apps won't benefit that much. In a few years I'd like to see 32GB and some control over which files to cache.

ddrueding

Fixture
Control would be difficult to set up, and few would be capable of managing it usefully. Write caching would be very useful, even if it was only the 4GB.

LunarMist

So there is a $40 premium for the flash chip.:clown:

sechs

Storage? I am Storage!
So, we're looking at a 40% to 50% premium. Does it improve performance that much?

LunarMist

It helps repetitive reads like booting and opening apps. Reviews are not very thrilling. It is surprising that Seagate did not produce a hybrid version of the new 750GB drive since the PC board is the standard size. Maybe they will do so in the future.

LunarMist

I doubt it would help very much at this point, given the results for the Monumentus XT.

Mercutio

Fatwah on Western Digital
Get a Hydrive. Better yet, just get an SSD.

I don't keep an optical drive in my notebooks. I keep an extra battery. And I want capacity. I already have one notebook with an 80GB X-25M. I really prefer to store a decent collection of my personal data on a machine, rather than having to connect to a file server for everything.

And yes, I know the current Seagate hybrids have some firmware issues. I fully expect that they'll be sorted out sooner or later.

LunarMist

Maybe they will be givng away 1TB SSDs next year. :reindeer:
I'd be happy to have one with 32GB cache.

LunarMist

Why would a drive need to be updated if it is designed properly to begin with? :king: